Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Solicited for a job - Q Clearance honeypot

Author Topic: Solicited for a job - Q Clearance  (Read 5837 times)

softwaredeveloper

Solicited for a job - Q Clearance
« on: Apr 06, 2009, 02:40 »
I was recently solicited for a job opening at ORNL as a senior software developer by someone (unknown by me) who actually works there (UT-Batelle) and found my resume online.  I am very qualified for the position, but do not believe I will be able to obtain the clearance as stated in the position detail requirements:

"Successful candidate must be able to obtain a Q clearance."

1. In 1998, I was convicted of a federal felony for Bank Fraud.  Actually I stole $5k while working as a teller; turned myself in, never went to jail but spent 4 years on supervised probation.  I was 22 yrs old.
2. Same year (my life was a mess), discharged from the Army National Guard for failing a urinalysis (marijuana) with a General Dischatrge Under Honorable Conditions (in between an Honorable and Dishonorable).
3. No legal trouble since then (other than a few speeding tickets); returned to college and completed my B.S. Computer Science in 2002.
4. Recently divorced (2 yrs ago) - no children
5. Too much credit card debt ($28k) (not all my fault - from divorce).  Credit scores range from 629-675 among the three bureaus.
6. Been in my industry now for 10 years currently employed by a major large construction corporation making $100k+.
7. Spent 4 years working on a DoD contract for PACOM and the Pentagon (clearance was never required for software developers as it was the data contained within the applications that was secret - not the applications themselves).
8. No illegal drug use in nearly 5 years now

What I'm wondering is whether or not I should even bother to apply for this position.  I feel that my life has completely changed since my conviction and things are fine except for my debt load but have been paying it down for over a year now (more than 30% unsecured has been paid in the last 10 months).

"Successful candidate must be able to obtain a Q clearance." -- seems to indicate "please don't apply for this position if you're not sure you can get the clearance".

Thoughts anyone?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I hate seeing opportunities in my life locked out to me because of what I did when I was 22.  Lots of growing up between then and 35.

Thanks for your time.

DrRem

Re: Solicited for a job - Q Clearance
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2009, 04:29 »
check out this page, it shows you what they look at and what helps put the issues to rest. Even though it says DOD the same rules applies to DOE.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blsecmenu.htm

softwaredeveloper

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2009, 05:05 »
Black Ops,

I am familiar with the general guidelines and common wisdom (i.e. tell the truth, disclose everything) - I was just wondering if anyone had a "feel" for my situation and if I should even bother applying for the job.  I assume that if I apply, am hired, then have clearance denied, I will more than likely be terminated.  Or do you think ORNL would run an interim as a condition of employment?

DrRem

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2009, 11:26 »
That link is pretty much how DOE thinks.. It's all in the  how sorry ,I've learned my lesson and have lead a good life since that ugly day so many years ago. Most DOE jobs do not do a interim clearance, you get the famous gray badge which is checked like any other company (credit, background, legal etc) you would know before you showed up if your past was going to stop the gray badge. If you get past that the Q may not be that hard. Other folks with a lot worst issues have made the cut. Like you said be honest up front and report it when asked. Apply and see what happens, I know they do the first check (gray badge Uncleared) before you start . Good luck

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?