Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The effects of shift work honeypot

Author Topic: The effects of shift work  (Read 10561 times)

nrlien

The effects of shift work
« on: Apr 06, 2009, 03:58 »
Hey all,
New to the forum, and it looks very helpful. I am going to be applying to an NLO job with Exelon, which of course entails shift work. What has been the most challenging with you all regarding yourself, and any family you might have?
Thanks!

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: The effects of shift work
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2009, 04:44 »
Shift work requires  understanding family.  They have to understand that sometimes you have to sleep and sometimes you can't be at sporting events or family gatherings.  But depending on your shift,  You may have a lot more days off than they Mon-Fri crowd.  I have alway liked having some off days during week so that I can take care of business. 

Biggest challenge for us has been day care issues when the kids were small.  Neither my wife nor I have conventional 8-5 jobs.  Most day care providers are really insistant that you come and get your child by a particular time.  Not always easy depending on your shift.    A good support network (family , friends) is needed

Some people seem to do well with shift work while others can't do it.  Some people just can not adjust to being awake all times of day.  Only one way to find out... and that is to try it. 

Good luck
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2009, 04:44 by grantime »
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2009, 04:51 »
Shift work requires  understanding family.  They have to understand that sometimes you have to sleep and sometimes you can't be at sporting events or family gatherings. 

Or when the spouse wants you to do honeydo's the first day off after nights when you are still half-asleep and headachy, or kids insist on guitar practice because they have nothing better to do while you try to sleep, etc. It WILL age you faster than normal

What’s more, since most people don’t understand the biological importance of sleep, your need to sleep may not be respected—even within your own family. Your children may wake you and demand attention as they run in the door after school at 3 o’clock, or your husband may try to initiate sex on the one day all week you have to sleep in. Studies reveal that shift work actually increases the risk of divorce by 57 percent.

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/shift-work-and-sleep/article54467.html

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2009, 05:28 »
Yah I like the time off, but the side affects are groggy for a day after nights, getting used to nights after being on days for over a week or two, and trying to sleep during day.  Other than that its all what you make it.  I loved em, specially at night.  Get on a regular routine is very important.  Try to go to sleep at same time and eat at same times, and very important is diet!  Dont load up on fatty food at night cause your body wants to store that due to its natural cycles.  Protein, fruits, veggies, and also get into some kinda physical routine.

Cathy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:01 »
I too love the time off with shift work BUT switching back and forth can be difficult and family support is important. My husband took one of our upstairs walk in closets and turned it into a "she cave". It has a twin bed, lamp and alarm clock. Most importantly, it has no windows and it is very quiet. I sleep there when I am on my night shift rotation and he doesn't have to tip toe around the house.

DSO

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2009, 03:38 »
I too love the time off with shift work BUT switching back and forth can be difficult and family support is important. My husband took one of our upstairs walk in closets and turned it into a "she cave". It has a twin bed, lamp and alarm clock. Most importantly, it has no windows and it is very quiet. I sleep there when I am on my night shift rotation and he doesn't have to tip toe around the house.
I am the shift-worker--not my wife--but this "she cave" thing is an excellent idea. I think it will come in good use for about a week every month--if you know what I mean

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2009, 11:32 »
I am the shift-worker--not my wife--but this "she cave" thing is an excellent idea. I think it will come in good use for about a week every month--if you know what I mean

Those kind of responses belong on the Goldmember boards. Feel free to join as a Goldmember and fire away.
 :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

zwink

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2009, 01:12 »
Do you think shift work is as bad if the mom can stay home with kids, and the dad is the only one working?  I really need 8 hours of sleep  a day :(

stownsend

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2009, 04:07 »
It WILL age you faster than normal

or your husband may try to initiate sex on the one day all week you have to sleep in.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about this! :D

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2009, 08:05 »
Shift work makes you old. If it is a backward rotating shift, don't do it. I would stay up as long as I could after my last shift day and attempt to rotate into the next shift as soon as possible. Aluminum foil is good for darkening windows, but give you the "Early American Crack House" look. I also take melatonin to help me sleep during the day.
No one gets out alive.

Madcow43

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2009, 08:47 »
Do you think shift work is as bad if the mom can stay home with kids, and the dad is the only one working?  I really need 8 hours of sleep  a day :(

This is the situation I am in.  It works well as long as I remember to put in ear plugs so activities going on around the house don't wake me up.  I usually have no problem getting 8 hours of sleep when on mid shift, it's always days when I end up losing sleep.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:14 »

A "she cave"?  We call them dungeons, time out closets, naughty room.....

You can come out of the closet now Cathy. 

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:16 »
Shift work makes you old. If it is a backward rotating shift, don't do it. I would stay up as long as I could after my last shift day and attempt to rotate into the next shift as soon as possible. Aluminum foil is good for darkening windows, but give you the "Early American Crack House" look. I also take melatonin to help me sleep during the day.

What is a backward rotating shift?  Crap, I thought this shift work makes me about as backwards as I can get.  Don't try climbing down ladders fast at 4am.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 10:19 »

It works out just fine with momma home.
8 hours of sleep a day??   :o
Good luck with that one.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 12:41 »
What is a backward rotating shift?  Crap, I thought this shift work makes me about as backwards as I can get.  Don't try climbing down ladders fast at 4am.

I think a backward rotating shift, assuming three shifts, goes from days (08-16) to mids (00-08) to swings (16-24), making you have to get ready for the shift before during your time off, as opposed to staying up an extra 8 hours in a forward rotating shift. I had to do that once on my first ship, it wasn't too bad, but was single and my roommate was on the same schedule. Also, they make blackout blinds which are great for keeping out sunlight.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?