Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Questions  (Read 26641 times)

blonderocker1343

Re: Navy Nuke Questions
« Reply #25 on: Aug 07, 2009, 05:53 »
I have no desire to do nuke when i get out, but i'll use the credits i can and get a quick degrees out of it and get smarter at least :p

IPREGEN

« Reply #26 on: Aug 07, 2009, 09:18 »
I am no longer a Nuke. Con Edison sold off its plants because of deregulation. Now I work in the corporate building in New York.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2009, 11:55 »
I have no desire to do nuke when i get out, but i'll use the credits i can and get a quick degrees out of it and get smarter at least :p

Although I have met many of my former shipmates in nuke plants over the last thirty years in my travels at nuclear plants the majority of them are not in nuclear power. They became hog farmers, graphic artists, Gospel singers, a chimney sweep, boiler inspectors, a company president and other occupations. Here in Oak Ridge there are ex-Navy Nukes in semi nuke positions in remediation, waste management and operations of a different sort. I'm not sure what my title is right now I just started a new position in the Energy Solutions offices here. Usually I can spot the ex Navy Nukes and particularly the ex submariners in a short period of time. We have bit of arrogance (self confidence) especially us fast boat sailors  ;) .

IPREGEN

« Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:49 »
semi-nukes? That would be truck driver, right?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:59 »
semi-nukes? That would be truck driver, right?

If he was hauling fissile material!!!  ;)

ravenuke

« Reply #30 on: Aug 14, 2009, 03:47 »
With a BS degree why are you looking to enlist?  You should be talking to one of the officer recruiters.  Unless of course, you've done that research and just decided enlisted is what you want to do....

I also have  Bachelors of Science degree and I am enlisting.  I didn't have the calculus and the calculus based physics. 
That is why I didn't go officer.  That may not be your reason, but I know what you are going through if it is, and I know several enlisted soldiers and sailors with degrees. 

I heard of this loan repayment program that the Navy offers. Would I qualify for both the enlistment bonus and the loan repayment program?

I say that to let you know my background.  The way it was explained to me about the bonus versus the loan repayment, for starters, is that they will only repay your government loans. This means that if you have a lone from a bank, they will not pay it.  They will have what federal loans you do have when they look you up on their computer.  Mine were two federal perkins loans as an example.

For me, my bonus was greater than the loans that I had, so I took the bonus over the loan repayment.  You cannot have both of them.  You do get the choice as to which one to take and it is pretty easy to pick the best when they are laid out in front of you.  My bonus was $10,000 more than my loans, so it was a no-brainer.

Hope that helps.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?