Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Fuel Cycles (class), Help

Author Topic: Nuclear Fuel Cycles (class), Help  (Read 5806 times)

mullig2

Nuclear Fuel Cycles (class), Help
« on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:02 »
I spent two days on this problem, but still couldn't figure it out, I would appreciate any help.  Thanks
Q1:
A nuclear power plant operated for a year with a 69% capacity factor.  What is the burnup of the fuel if the core contains 95 tons of uranium and has been designed to produce 1200 MW(e) with a 32% efficiency? What will be the average burnup, over the life of the plant, if one-third of the core is replaced every year? Assume a 30-yr life for the plant, constant capacity factor, and efficiency.

Q2:
Prove that if a utility pays 1 mill/kWh(e) for disposal of spent fuel, it is equivalent to $253/kgU. Assume a burnup of 33,000 MWD/MTU and an average thermal efficiency of 32%.

Q3:
A utility is given the choice of paying 1.2 mill/kWh(e) for a spent fuel disposal fee or $300/kgU at 35,000 MWD/MTU burnup and 32% efficiency. Which choice is more economical?

Q4:
Is it possible for the availability and capacity factors to be equal? Explain your answer.  Take into account the real operating conditions of a reactor.

Offline LT Dan

• Moderate User
Re: Nuclear Fuel Cycles (class), Help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:14 »

If you spent two days on these problems, perhaps you need to select a new major.

I doubt anyone here is going to do your homework for you.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:26 »
Check this out for #2 and #3

Note:  Answers only provided because I'm bored today ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2009, 03:01 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2009, 08:06 »
Check this out for #2 and #3

Note:  Answers only provided because I'm bored today ;)

you are too good sometimes... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?