Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Warrant Officer

Author Topic: Warrant Officer  (Read 33200 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2009, 03:51 »
Right now I am chuckling just thinking what an engine room full of CWOs would be like.  Think about it.  Who would clean the bulges, paint, polish, and clean?  Or how about who out ranked who?  Would everyone say "yes sir" or call each other "mister"?  LOL

Staffing nukes as warrant Officers was initially proposed when the program was started, it would have left a 90 man sub with about 20 junior enlisted for the bilge cleaning, messcooking, etc.. It would not have encouraged many non nuke rates to volunteer for the boats.  ;)

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Apr 15, 2009, 04:37 »
Glad to see you finally found happiness. 

Enlisted ratings often fill watch position normally filled by an officer.  In port OOD's are more likely then not an E-6 and up, I was one.  Chiefs and at least one E-6 I knew of stood as engineering watch officers on Bainbridge, but in the aft engine room, never in the forward, main control engine room.  Decatur also had an E-6 and some chiefs qualified as underway watch officers, usually limited to solo steaming situations, not when accompanied by other ships, CIC was also manned by E-6 and above, it all depended on the circumstance.  As you probably know, at one time all services had enlisted aviators, but that was mainly during or after war, I recall some even flew in Vietnam. 

My main complaint with my nuclear experience was the hours.  They never ended.  The pay at the time did not offset the hours, nor do I think it could.  As I have said in other posts, hours on the job at sea was one thing, but three or less section duty in port was more then I was prepared to put up with.  I loved the Navy, but I did not marry it.

Making every NUKE a CWO is nonsense, better to pay them well and properly staff to make life a bit easier is better.  Heck, if I knew that when Bainbridge arrived in port, and there were RO's from a tender that could pick up some of watches and other duties, perhaps my attitude would have been different.  But that was not to be.

Back to Army CWOs, I guess the real reason not to use enlisted, is the time it would take to make Staff.  Better to get someone green, train them for a year or what ever it takes, and go.  But then what do I know?

Enough from me on this topic.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2009, 12:51 »
In the early 80's we had a few warrant officers in the Reactor Department of the Nimitz - 3 or 4 at most.  They stood EOOW along with the O-4's, leaving the PPWO watches to the JO's.  In fact one of the CWOs had previously left the Navy for the commercial world but didn't like it and came back to the land of NAVSEA 08. 
Dave

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?