Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu whatever happened to Biff? honeypot

Author Topic: whatever happened to Biff?  (Read 1630 times)

moodusjack

whatever happened to Biff?
« on: Mar 20, 2004, 10:32 »
Some top scientists are concerned that a major city will be "poofed" out of existance as a result of terrorist nuclear attack.  They suggest our skills for predicting fallout patterns and performing triage have fallen short from the days of the Dr. Strangelove era. 

Are we soft technically as a result of 'expertise drain' caused by the ancient masters of the technology leaving the bizz without equivalent replacements?

My point is, many of us who remember hiding under desks on Fridays (usually at 9:00 EST) in the 50's and 60's are gettin on and ready for tharn.  Me, it's the Florida Keys fishin for weak fish (you have your nitch, I have mine).  We are the Biffs, history gone by like the 80's yuppie namesake. 

It's like an outage I worked a few years back.  I had this young guy rattling off his qualifications and degrees (he wrote a text book, too).  He railed on me and the other senior tech for our lack of pedigree.  He tells the junior tech to cheer up, there's still some hope for his future.  Then he asks...then he asks, "what's this Steam Generator were supposed to be covering".  Heaven help us when we become the Biffs.

moodusjack

Re: whatever happened to Biff?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2004, 10:52 »
A radworker is working in the drywell.  He gets his foot amputated by a piece of stainless steel.  The foot falls to the lower level.  They rush him to the hospital.  Four days later they recover the foot, and through the miracle of microsurgery they reattach the foot. 

The foot was found in a high radiation area (700 mrem/hr).

Does he get extremity dose assigned for the foot exposure?

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2004, 01:45 »
If we eat irradiated food, do we consider it wholebody dose? The things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm!

I would think that if the foot recovers, stays afoot! Then yes it is extremity dose.

Other responses?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2004, 05:51 »
naw,  chalk the dose up to medical.  after all, the foot being reattached is due to surgery. iffen the surgery wasn't done, then there would be no foot.  without the foot attached, there'd be no dose to the body, extremity or otherwise.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

moodusjack

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:23 »
A former colleague once quipped, "are buggers intakes?"

Offline Radcat069

• Light User
  • Look man - I jus reads the meter - OK?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2004, 10:20 »
I guess that would depend on if'n it was more than 30 cm (1 FOOT!) frum da source!!!!
The trouble with using experience as a guide is that the final exam often comes first and then the lesson.  ~ Author Unknown

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?