Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Verifying Navy Experience (EWS, EOOW, PPWS)?

Author Topic: Verifying Navy Experience (EWS, EOOW, PPWS)?  (Read 14252 times)

jamsan710

Verifying Navy Experience (EWS, EOOW, PPWS)?
« on: Apr 17, 2009, 09:28 »
How does the industry verify Naval experience? My service record has a discrepancy concerning my EWS qual. The peronnelman put the date of entry into my record not my actual qual date, so I have 11 months vice 18 months. There is no way to fix it since the ship I was on is decommissioned. I'd like to know for interviews if I can state 18 months, or should I stick with 11 since I can prove it.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Re: Verifying Navy Experience (EWS, EOOW, PPWS)?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2009, 10:03 »
How does the industry verify Naval experience? My service record has a discrepancy concerning my EWS qual. The peronnelman put the date of entry into my record not my actual qual date, so I have 11 months vice 18 months. There is no way to fix it since the ship I was on is decommissioned. I'd like to know for interviews if I can state 18 months, or should I stick with 11 since I can prove it.

The only way to verify is by your DD-214.  That being said a utility is more interested in the fact you qualified than how much time you spent qualified.  You can bring that up in the interview process but it will be taken with a grain of salt by the people conducting the interview.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2009, 02:41 »
I wouldn't sweat that too much, but just in case, your evals should have it correct?

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2009, 04:26 »
No one cares whether you were an EWS. Usually they verify a DD 214 to see if you were actually in the Navy, thats about it.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:47 »
Actually they do.  It's the first question I get asked.

I think his point is that no one actually looks to verify if you lied on your resume. In all of my interviews, no one has and I have only had to submit my DD214 once. It was pretty much "you were EWS?" me "Yes," them "Ok, next question" and that was the end of it.

Again, I wouldn't sweat the "verification" too much. They know.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2009, 09:52 »
Actually they do.  It's the first question I get asked.

You could have said no and they would have taken it in the same light.

ISOCS

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2009, 07:30 »
Employers don't care what you did in the Navy eons ago, they just want to make sure you were smart enough to be on a submarine.
ISOCS

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:48 »
Also depends on the utility and the makeup of the people doing the interviewing.  Some will give a little more consideration for a EWS qualification but bottom line it is all a mark of your trainability.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2009, 10:40 »
EWS or NNPS "is a mark of your trainability"?

My former utility looked at them both (NNPS and EWS quals) as trainability. They did not put much weight in someone qualifying EWS, qualifying EWS just gave them more of a "better feeling" that you could become a licensed operator.  hence the trainability.  In a way it is like stock market recommendations... they are always saying past performance while indicative is no guarantee of future performance.

jamsan710

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2009, 06:36 »
My concern is the ANSI requirements for SRO. They state 2 years EWS or > 3yrs in a commercial plant as a NLO, and/or an Engineering degree. I have 1 year EWS and a Engineering technologies degree. I'm a hybrid of the requirements.

Will the employer verify the requirements? Do they ask for your qual history from your personnel record? Will they accept this? Why or why not?

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:14 »
My concern is the ANSI requirements for SRO. They state 2 years EWS or > 3yrs in a commercial plant as a NLO, and/or an Engineering degree. I have 1 year EWS and a Engineering technologies degree. I'm a hybrid of the requirements.

Will the employer verify the requirements? Do they ask for your qual history from your personnel record? Will they accept this? Why or why not?

IMHO If you do not have official paperwork that can prove the 2 years then you will not meet the ANSI requirements.  As Nuclear Assurance (QA) if I was auditing the program (which we do) to verify licensing activities I would write it up as a finding.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2009, 10:26 »
. I have 1 year EWS and a Engineering technologies degree. I'm a hybrid of the requirements.

Engineering Tech isn't the same as an Engineering degree... they might take it if you had the EIT cert. for the state where you are applying

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2009, 12:00 »
Every command lists your qualifications on your page 2 when you are transferred.  If documentation of your quals is needed, you can get your service record by going to the following link.

http://www.usa.gov/Federal_Employees/Active_Military_Records.shtml
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LASBrownC

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:50 »
From an ops instructor standpoint, I can say that getting solid proof of the time you had as EWS/EOOW is very important when looking into the future.  We review your record to verify the NRC required time to be eligible for SRO licensing.  If the service record is wrong, we refer to your evaluations.  If we can add up the months holding the qualification from the front of your eval to the required time, we will validate your eligibility in the ILT (Initial Licensing Training) class.  If you don't have 24 months of acting EWS/EOOW, then you'll have to work your way up through experience and/or a degree.  We are actually reviewing someone's evals (based on a FASA finding) because of inaccuracies in his service record.

I hope this helps!

Charlie

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?