Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question for all or some?

Author Topic: Question for all or some?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline STF

• Light User
Question for all or some?
« on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:07 »
Has anyone worked for a privately help site, that has been sold to one of the fleet owners such as Excelon or Entergy?  How did that transition go as far as changes in policy, attitude etc...?

Khak-Hater

Re: Question for all or some?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:21 »
I hired in at RBS after the EOI [Entergy Operations Inc.] transition was complete (circa 1997).  The story of how the transition went was something like this.

Almost immediately two "meatballs" showed up as observers [meatballs refers to the EOI rising sun emblem on the white EOI shirts].  These guys were basically the two Bobs from the movie "Office Space."  Instead of evaluating the rank-and-file workers like most efficiency experts, these "meatball" Bobs were there to evaluate which managers/supervisors could make a smooth transition to the EOI culture.  After about six months, they replaced all of the managers/supervisors that they thought couldn't become EOI-style leaders, thereby effecting a very swift and thorough top-down culture change.  The new managers were from other EOI plants [EOI intentionally overstaffs their plants so that they have the extra leaders necessary to expand like this].  The replaced managers/supervisors were given senior engineer/assessment auditor type positions so that they could assimilate to the EOI culture, but not in positions of authority.

It seemed like the best way to effect real cultural change.  I've seen transitions where only a few key management positions were replaced and nothing really changed in the long run.  I always thought that EOI had a formula for success in this matter.

I hope that this helped,

mgm

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2009, 10:39 »
I hired on at VY before the EOI transition. Different process than at RBS - we didn't get too much of a big change in management at first. Over a couple of years, there was a "fleet" process that shaped our structure to align with EOI model. Had a bigger change in people then. Still trying to keep the old VY "family" atmosphere...but it's difficult. The "fleet" way is making some of our decision processes more Borglike all the time. The troops in the trenches still try to take care of each other, and most 1st line don't have the bionic spine/brain replacement....but as we lose people to retirement, that changes....the new diggits have had the koolaid.  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline STF

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2009, 01:19 »
Thanks for you reply's kind of what I expected, maybe.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?