Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Interview Advice

Author Topic: Interview Advice  (Read 6225 times)

tholley55

Interview Advice
« on: Apr 20, 2009, 02:08 »
Hello everyone,

I realize that this is primarily a nuclear plant employment site, but it proved to be the most comprehensive associated to the POSS/MASS test that I could find.

I took the POSS/MASS test on March 25, 2009 for a local utility company here in Michigan - Consumers Energy, a subsidiary of CMS Energy. The facility I am attempting to get into is a fossil fueled facility - not nuke. Here is my situation...

After, a week of anxious waiting I was informed that I passed both phases of the test! That was great news to say the least. I have a friend of mine who works at the facility in which I am trying to gain employment and he has been keeping me updated with the hiring process. Well, he notified me about a week ago that I should be hearing from the company this week to schedule an interview for an entry level position - auxiliary operator. However, on Friday last week I WAS notified by the company that they wanted to schedule me for an interview - for the Site Maintenance Manager!. I am totally shocked as I was expecting an entry level position interview.

A little about me... I am a retired Chief Engineman from the reserve side of the Navy. I served 24 years total, 11 years active (got out as a first class Boiler Technician), and the remainder of my time was spent in the reserve. I recently took the buyout from GM and I was a licensed Stationary Engineer 1st class with them. I am licensed with the city of Saginaw, MI. Anyway, I spent 12 years at GM and prior to that I was the maintenance supervisor at my local hospital for almost three years.

I guess I am surprised that I am interviewing for this position and wondering how the HR department came to this decision? I do feel I am qualified for the Site Manager position, but what happens if I am not selected? How may this affect the other position? Any suggestions as to how to handle this interview, and to what questions I may face?

Thanks in advance,
Tholley

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
Re: Interview Advice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2009, 05:46 »
Congratulations, and thank you for your years of service.

I guess I am surprised that I am interviewing for this position and wondering how the HR department came to this decision? I do feel I am qualified for the Site Manager position, but what happens if I am not selected? How may this affect the other position? Any suggestions as to how to handle this interview, and to what questions I may face?

Talk to the company's HR Dept - they should have a job description & summary of requirements for every position their company is trying to fill.  Ask them for a copy of the Site Maintenance Manager position, and look it over.  (You may be a closer match for the job than you think.)  And anyway, the job description & summary of requirements from HR should always be used as the "answer key" for writing your resume IMHO.

If there really is an opening and the company really wants to interview you for it as your friend suggests, then by all means DO IT!  Even if they select someone else for the Maint Mgr position, your application/interview shows interest in the company (for when that next job rolls around).

I obviously can't guarantee what the company will ask you during an interview, but many companies are using a S.T.A.R. job interview format.  My recommendation is that you Google STAR job interview techniques and/or STAR job interview questions - you'll find tons of useful info there.  HotJobs, Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and other similar sites frequently have useful job interview information, also.

Best of luck to you!

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

tholley55

Re: Interview Advice
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2009, 10:33 »
Greg,

Thanks for the advice! I do have a job description for the Site Maintenance Manager position. It was online at their website. I have my profile loaded into their online job center. I plan to research the S.T.A.R. interviewing techniques today.

Tim

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?