Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Difference between Nuclear engineer and Rad Engineer honeypot

Author Topic: Difference between Nuclear engineer and Rad Engineer  (Read 9194 times)

Offline raptor5k

• Very Lite User
Hey,
  I'm relatively new here, especially new to posting, so please forgive my ignorance.  I Don't know if this was the best place to post this question, but I couldn't see anything that sounded better in the few minutes I had, so again, forgive my ignorance

I'm currently going to school to be a RCT, just a program they have here in Eastern Idaho.  I will graduate in May and hopefully find a job?

Anyway, I don't think I want to stop there.  Don't get me wrong I can't wait to go to work in the Industry, but I really think I want to continue my education.  The school here offers a "Nuclear Engineering" degree, but in my current program they always talk about Rad Engineers.  Is there a difference, or is it in name only, a la RCT or HP.  Thanks for any help.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Difference between Nuclear engineer and Rad Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:48 »
A nuclear engineer knows how to split atoms, while a rad engineer knows how to clean up the mess there of.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:09 »
The school here offers a "Nuclear Engineering" degree, but in my current program they always talk about Rad Engineers.  Is there a difference, or is it in name only, a la RCT or HP.  Thanks for any help.

A Radiological engineer is the engineer version of what you do (Or are studying to do), protect the public and laboratory or industrial workers against radiation. Measures to reduce exposure to radiation, etc.

A Nuclear engineer deals with the utilization of the nuclear fission process, and is concerned with the design and construction of nuclear reactors and auxiliary facilities, the development and fabrication of special materials, and the handling and processing of reactor products.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:35 »
A Radiological engineer is the engineer version of what you do (Or are studying to do), protect the public and laboratory or industrial workers against radiation. Measures to reduce exposure to radiation, etc.

A Nuclear engineer deals with the utilization of the nuclear fission process, and is concerned with the design and construction of nuclear reactors and auxiliary facilities, the development and fabrication of special materials, and the handling and processing of reactor products.

Isn't that what I said? :P

Offline raptor5k

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:55 »

Thank you, that's just the type of answer I was looking for.  Now onto the subject of jobs...  Just kidding, just wish me luck!

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:09 »
Some programs will use a term like Health Physicist or Health Physics instead of radiological engineer.

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:59 »
From what I've seen after 30 years hanging around, the typical "Nuclear Engineer" is a really smart guy who spent lots of time in school, has an engineering degree, designs cores and stuff and junk like that, and is usually a pretty boring guy. Most "RAD" Engineers I've come across are RP or former RP types that have proclaimed themselves as "engineers". Not to slight anyone who holds that legitimate title, but I don't know any "RAD Engineers" who are actually entitled by virtue of an education to call themselves engineers. The response to this should be fun!

nukepirate

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:48 »
Raptor, in addition to what the others have written, the "limiting" difference is education. To be a nuclear engineer one has to have at least a bachelors degree in engineering, a rad engineer does not.

In most postings for jobs as a rad engineer you will see a "science" degree (typically a bachelors) required and in reality there is some flexibility regarding that requirement i.e., maybe an associates degree in a science (like biology or chemistry) plus X years of related experience. In postings for jobs as a nuclear engineer a degree (at least a bachelors) is required, no ifs, ands or buts.

Real world, in terms of careers, nuclear engineers are the more "professional" lot. They are paid more, have better benefits, better working conditions, etc.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:06 »

sometimes they need a Chemical Engineer ;)

nukepirate

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:54 »
To Raptor:

I apologize because it appears I've given you some "wrong" information. Sorry about that but I was just trying to help a brother out, based on my experience.

To Marssim:

Thank you for the links, I clicked, I looked, I read, and I stand corrected. And you're a sharp cookie to figure out my nuclear background is with a bunch of cornbread (I believe you may have meant corn fed, but I could be wrong) ducks in commercial nuclear power.

I am grateful for the gangs of high thinkers, their work creates work for me. We are constantly spending time, dose, and money correcting their concoctions.

Ummmm the OP (I assume that means original poster as I'm as inexperienced in internet lingo as I am in things nuclear) wrote that he found "just the type of answer I was looking for", why would you wonder, after the fact, if he found what he was looking for. Rhetorical.

I looked up mentive in my dictionary, not there. I Yahooed it, got a Myspace page. I Googled it, got Mad Men TV. Help a brother out! Rhetorical.

Turbines and generators have a definite discernible causal connection.

To the posters on this thread:

I think every one of you put out good information.

To all the others that may read this:

Man o Man! I have been away from a lot of the subjects discussed on Nukeworker for a long time. Usually I only come on here to look for work. The other day I spent several hours on here reading. I read the whole NPUA thread and the whole thread on how outages are changing (can't remember the title). One definite conclusion I've come to is if people on here spent more time being constructive than trying to one-up one another, bickering, and patting themselves on the back, it would be a better, more effective, and probably more popular place.

I hope this posting doesn't get deleted, I think more reasonable people need to speak up. Nukeworker is a great site, a great source for information, training, real world experience, etc. and I think the inordinate amount of BS that goes on only detracts from it. Jerry Springer and Housewives of Wherever comes to mind!

Just one man's opinion and yes, I know what they say about opinions.

A great 2011 to everyone!
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011, 05:58 by nukepirate »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?