Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21 nuke option high school grades honeypot

Author Topic: STA-21 nuke option high school grades  (Read 7321 times)

brandnuke

STA-21 nuke option high school grades
« on: Apr 22, 2009, 11:13 »
I recently decided that I wanted to join the navy.  Even before i took the asvab i knew i wanted to go nuke. I scored a 97 on the asvab and I will be taking the NFQT soon.  My question however is related to STA-21.  I was never motivated in highschool due to the lack of a challenge and I graduated with a 2.6 GPA.  I was wondering if this will hinder my chances of being accepted into STA-21 nuke option or are they more concerned with grades recieved during  A school and nuclear power school. Thank you for any help on the subject.

Brandon
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009, 12:02 by brandnuke »

Offline vagabond

• Light User
Re: STA-21 nuke option
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:11 »
If you're speaking the truth, I know how you feel.  I sucked in high school, but because I was extremely bored.  Most honors level classes didn't require much work for me, but I still did well.  Some subjects I was bored out of my skull, and those I typically didn't fare too well.  Now I have the focus to succeed no matter how matter how boring the subject.

In all honesty, it will hinder you some.  The higher focus of scrutiny is A school and NPS grades, as well as ACT/SAT.  You can do a few things that will make your application very impressive though.  In all courses, kick ass and take names.  Do your absolute best to do well.  Try to get into leadership roles every chance you can, including community service.  It will be awhile before you will be able to apply for the program, so you'll have more time to better yourself.  Prove yourself worthy while in the Navy, and your past performance in school won't look as bad.

These are just a few things, but they are good places to start.  If you don't become an officer, you'll be a better person and sailor either way.  The best thing I learned was how to push myself to succeed.  Best of luck to you. 
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009, 12:43 by vagabond »
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

brandnuke

Re: STA-21 nuke option high school grades
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2009, 02:13 »
Thank you for the advice. I plan to try my best throughout A school and NPS. I scored ok on the SAT(1330) in tenth grade but will have to take it again before applying to STA-21. I feel a little better about my chances now though.

Brandon

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2009, 07:23 »
I was never motivated in highschool due to the lack of a challenge and I graduated with a 2.6 GPA.  I was wondering if this will hinder my chances of being accepted into STA-21 nuke option or are they more concerned with grades received during A school and nuclear power school.

I had the same grades in high school and I got picked up for NECP (the former nuke commissioning program that is now STA-21).  Do the best you can in A-School/Power School/Prototype; performance there will greatly outweigh your mediocre high school grades.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:58 »
From the latest message about STA-21:

5.  LESSONS LEARNED.  THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ADDRESSES LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE FY-09 STA-21 SELECTION PROCESS AND BOARD.  THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED TO PRECLUDE COMMON ERRORS.
    A.  OF 1,000 APPLICATIONS RECEIVED, ONLY 682 WERE BOARD ELIGIBLE.  A TOTAL OF 210 WERE SELECTED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FY-09
STA-21 PROGRAM.
    B.  COMMON REASONS FOR DETERMINATION OF INELIGIBILITY: 
NON-QUALIFYING SAT/ACT TEST SCORES, NO SAT/ACT TEST SCORES SUBMITTED, NO COMMANDING OFFICER'S (CO) ENDORSEMENT, RECENT NON-JUDICIAL PUNISHMENT, AND MISSING OR ILLEGIBLE SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS.
    C.  MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BEFORE SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION.  THE SELECTION PROCESS IS EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE.  APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE MAILED ONLY WHEN FULLY COMPLETE.  OFFICER INTERVIEW BOARDS AND THE CO'S PERSONAL INTERVIEW SHOULD ONLY BE CONDUCTED AFTER THE APPLICATION IS COMPLETE.  THE FULL PICTURE OF AN APPLICANT'S ACADEMIC POTENTIAL CAN ONLY BE DETERMINED BY REVIEWING THE SAT/ACT SCORES AND HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2009, 12:13 »
I can tell you one thing, the GPA sure isn't going to help.  The excuse you gave for it won't help either.  There are going to be plenty of things you'll do in the Navy that will not challenge you, especially if you REALLY are smart.  I suggest that when you are asked about your grades not to say you weren't challenged and decided to perform poorly.

Like the other guys said do well in A school and Power School as well as Prototype and you should stand a chance.  Don't forget about PRT scores as well, to be competitive you want to maximize the easy stuff.  Also, apply early in the pipeline, it seems recently students stand the best chance of getting picked up for STA-21, well Nuke options at least.

Good Luck

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?