Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ET-COM, NAV-ET worthwhile?
honeypot

Author Topic: ET-COM, NAV-ET worthwhile?  (Read 13231 times)

TheObiJuan

ET-COM, NAV-ET worthwhile?
« on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:26 »
Due to uncontrollable circumstances, I may be denuked (MM) since I will not be able to stand for long periods of time, and from what I gather, that's all MMs do.

I have been told to look at other SUBVOL jobs and was steered toward ET-COM and NAV-ET as they sit and seem interesting.
I finished A-School top half and was excited to start NPS, but I'm on LIMDU for another 6 months--been on it for 5 months already.
I come to this board because of the overwhelming amount of former submariners and wisdom that usually is expressed here.

From your experience, would either job be worth swapping to, vice any other submarine rating?
Any experience or knowledge of civilian opportunities with this type of training?

My preference is to stay as a Nuke, complete my schooling and get qual'd but I don't see that happening--despite my best efforts.
I shudder at the thought of being a 'coner' after hearing stories from all of my instructors and reading on here, but I'd still have the enthusiasm of being a submariner and serving in the Navy.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: ET-COM, NAV-ET worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:39 »
Well, there are worse things then being a coner....

I'm not sure how you can be qualified to still be on subs if you cannot stand for long periods of time....your main job is STANDING watch...which usually requires some standing.

That being said, if I had to choose, I'd choose ET-com.  These are the former radiomen.....pretty good job.  Sit in the radioroom mostly and ensure that Comm gear is running properly so the boat can send and receive message traffic.  Radiomen are everyone's friends because of familygrams!!!

Nav-ET are the former quartermasters.  There is probably lots of standing with this job as well...standing around and plotting courses and the likes.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009, 01:46 »
You might want to check out FT (Fire Control Technician) if you're looking to stay in the submarine community.  They have a pretty awesome job at sea, using sonar and other inputs to track contacts to report to the OOD, especially when the boat is doing submarine stuff  :-X; and they're pretty much on employed welfare in port (not much maintenance on their gear).

Problem is, every coner (I use the word "coner" as a term of endearment -- most I've met are pretty cool and intelligent) tech rate has to qualify AEF (Auxiliary Electrician Forward), which is a roving watch.  That won't work out if you have to avoid prolonged standing.  In fact, just about every job on a U.S. Navy ship involves prolonged standing at some point. 

You might want to look into a shore based rating (Navy band, maybe?  :P) if you want to Stay Navy.  Good luck in your endeavors.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2009, 02:00 »
air traffic controller. or one of the crypto ratings.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2009, 03:53 »
Take your nuke brain and nuke work ethic, apply it to a non-nuke job and you will be a Chief in no time. I think perhaps your issue may dis-qual you sub service as well.

YMMV

Try Crypto Tech-Interpreter, take the DLAB and learn a foreign language. You could be a hot commodity as a civilian, especially if you do a strategic language such as Arabic, Russion, Farsi, Chinese, etc.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:00 »
How about ST?  Add an I and you have SIT!   ;D  Lots of sitting and listening/lloking at sonar displays, feeding data to the FTs.  But, as already mentioned, you'll be expected to qualify AEF and take roving logs.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2009, 12:36 »
If standing is a problem, then you can only be stationed on a submarine that is constantly at sea.  When you are on duty you will have to stand a watch that requires hours of standing.  All coners stand topside watch or sentry, which require you to stand for 4 hours at a time or so. 

CTI is an awesome oppurtunity, and they have great advancement!  You can still ride on subs also if your heart desires for missions that need your language skills. 
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2009, 01:41 »
Thank you for your input guys, I really appreciate it.
It is not that I cannot stand, it is that my PCM recommended a job that I would have less propensity for standing the entire time I'm working. As a coner I'd be sitting more, especially an ET-COM (as was already recommended), but I can handle 4 hour watches on mild pain meds (currently permitted and anticipated to be allowed in the future).

If it were not for the HUGE draw of being on a submarine I would have gone Crypto-Tech.
I'm fluent in Spanish, took 6 years of French (read/speak/write well), and know basic Arabic to get me by.
With all of my LIMDU free time I'm doing a lot of learning (Rosetta Stone) and qualifying with the Navy for foreign languages, and also volunteering to spread a better image of sailors.

I know any decision I make will work out well, I'm just looking at my available options; sometimes it's nice to get an outside view.

Best Regards,
NUB.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2009, 06:06 »
My man, try calling the CT detailer and talking to him in person, so nobody has to worry about getting into OPSEC stuff here.  No kidding, pick up the phone and give him a call.  I think you may like what you hear.

If ever I were going to recommend somebody for the CT rating, it would probably be you (based on what you just wrote in the post above).
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2009, 12:31 »
As a coner I'd be sitting more, especially an ET-COM (as was already recommended), but I can handle 4 hour watches on mild pain meds (currently permitted and anticipated to be allowed in the future).

/quote]

I'm not so sure this would fly with the watches you'd be standing.  They are armed guards essentially, and my gut says being on pain meds is a no go!  Personally, I'd feel better about someone being fully alert when they are on watch. 

I'm not a Dr, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

:P

Only Undersea Medical Officers and Security personnel (TM Div Chief/Weapons Officer) are the ones I'd say could answer this question fully.

If you enjoy languages so much, why not be a CTI?  Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for this HUGE draw to be stationed on a sub?
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:01 »
Mostly because it provides me a unique experience that 99% of the world can never have.
I will get to experience a lifestyle to match, and many other reasons pooling in my head.

I couldn't understand why someone would NOT want to be on a US Navy submarine?

withroaj

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:31 »

I couldn't understand why someone would NOT want to be on a US Navy submarine?

The only people who truly understand why someone would NOT want to be on a US Navy submarine have been on US Navy submarines.  Don't get me wrong, the submarine community is the best community I've had the distinct opportunity to join; but there's a tired old cliche that goes something like, "another grain of sand on the beach of reasons to leave." 

I wonder what that means...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?