Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRC Form 5  

Author Topic: NRC Form 5  (Read 10987 times)

kp88

NRC Form 5
« on: Apr 28, 2009, 08:52 »
10CFR20 actually defines an intake class as:
   Class (or lung class or inhalation class) means a classification scheme for inhaled material according to its rate of clearance from the pulmonary region of the lung. Materials are classified as D, W, or Y, which applies to a range of clearance half-times: for Class D (Days) of less than 10 days, for Class W (Weeks) from 10 to 100 days, and for Class Y (Years) of greater than 100 days.

The instructions for filling out an NRC-5 state:
   Enter the lung clearance class as listed in Appendix B to 10CFR Part 20.1001-2401 (D, W, Y, V, F, M, S, or O for other) for all intakes by inhalation.

Does anybody know what in the heck V, F, M, and S mean?

Motown homey

Re: NRC Form 5
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2009, 11:21 »
The latest instructions that I can find state: "Enter the lung clearance class as listed in Appendix B to 10 CFR Part 20.1001-2401 (D, W, Y, V, or O for other) for all intakes by inhalation." 

A CHP at work told me that F, M, and S are obsolete classes.  Each class is based on the chemical compounds and the radiological half-life.  If the chemical compound changes, the clearance class can change even for the same radioisotope. When you have a mixture of these compounds, your class becomes variable (i.e., V) based on the attendant concentrations. 

Other, or O, is when the compound that you are dealing with does not fall within the defining parameters of D, W, or Y.  He's supposed to be finding a reference for this explanation.  When he does , I'll post it.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 11:23 by Motown homey »

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2009, 08:09 »
Thanks Mo.  I've been looking through my internal dosimetry stuff and was unable to find the definitions.  I hate when I can't find that kind of stuff.
LM

kp88

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2009, 08:14 »
The latest instructions that I can find state: "Enter the lung clearance class as listed in Appendix B to 10 CFR Part 20.1001-2401 (D, W, Y, V, or O for other) for all intakes by inhalation." 

Strangely enough, the Form 5 in the Reg Guide that I found on REIRS lists only W, Y, V, or O.  The Form 5 on the NRC site lists all the classes.
I found this on the NRC web site.

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Question 400: NRC Form 5 (Item No. 10B) includes the
symbol "V", which is not defined in Regulatory Guide 8.7,
Revision 1. (a) Does the "V" signify "vapor" as used in
Federal Guidance Report No. 11? (b) If so, how is this
lung clearance class to be applied in operational air
sampling and internal dosimetry programs?

Answer: (a) "V" in Item 10B of Form 5 is an abbreviation
for the lung clearance class "vapor" in Appendix B to 10
CFR 20.1001 - 20.2401. "Vapor" is listed as a lung
clearance "class" for only two elements, sulfur and nickel.
(However, the "water" inhalation class for hydrogen-3
indicates water vapor.)

(b) The "vapor" inhalation class should be used when the
radionuclides are present in the form of a vapor in the air
and the associated air sampling should be appropriate for
sampling the radionuclides in this form. (References: 10
CFR 20.2106, 10 CFR 20.2206, Regulatory Guide 8.7).

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2009, 12:07 »
F, M & S are Fumes, Mists, and Solids.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:32 »
the only forms i've used the past couple of years were written in 2001 and the OMB approval (upper right corner) expired in 2004--maybe they are all invalid.

kp88

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:53 »
the only forms I've used the past couple of years were written in 2001 and the OMB approval (upper right corner) expired in 2004--maybe they are all invalid.
Actually, the NRC 4 & 5 got revised 11/08.  Apparently all they changed was estimate dose is now preliminary dose, as near as I can tell.  They also seem to have gotten rid of some of the inhalation classes in the explanations on the back of the forms.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 06:55 »
Actually, the S may stand for smoke.

The terms "vapor", "mists", "fumes", and "smoke" are all closely related and sometimes one may contain one or more of the others as well as dust or other solids and gasses.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:32 »
F, M and S are "Fast", "Medium" and "Slow" which are more current descriptions of inhalation classes than the D, W, and Y.

kp88

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 07:45 »
F, M and S are "Fast", "Medium" and "Slow" which are more current descriptions of inhalation classes than the D, W, and Y.
I think that I'll go along with fumes, mist, and smoke.
10CFR20.1003 Definitions
Airborne radioactive material means radioactive material dispersed in the air in the form of dusts, fumes, particulates, mists, vapors, or gases.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:10 »
10CFR20 actually defines an intake class as:
   Class (or lung class or inhalation class) means a classification scheme for inhaled material according to its rate of clearance from the pulmonary region of the lung. Materials are classified as D, W, or Y, which applies to a range of clearance half-times: for Class D (Days) of less than 10 days, for Class W (Weeks) from 10 to 100 days, and for Class Y (Years) of greater than 100 days.

The instructions for filling out an NRC-5 state:
   Enter the lung clearance class as listed in Appendix B to 10CFR Part 20.1001-2401 (D, W, Y, V, F, M, S, or O for other) for all intakes by inhalation.

Does anybody know what in the heck V, F, M, and S mean?

10CFR20 Appendix B:
" ... and classes (D,W,Y) of radioactive material, which refer to their retention (approximately days, weeks or years) in the pulmonary region of the lung."

I think that I'll go along with fumes, mist, and smoke.
10CFR20.1003 Definitions
Airborne radioactive material means radioactive material dispersed in the air in the form of dusts, fumes, particulates, mists, vapors, or gases.
This defines airborne radioactive material, which is all well and good.  However, I only see mention of forms (which distinguish between physical differences); I don't see any mention of classes (which distinguish between retention/clearance times in the pulmonary region of the lung).

I'm not saying that "Fast/Medium/Slow" are correct answers, because I can't cite a valid reference.  However, I would certainly rule out "Fumes/Mists/Smoke" as classes, because they don't specify retention/clearance times in the pulmonary region of the lung as required by 10CFR20 Appendix B.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:11 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?