Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AO Starting Pay honeypot

Author Topic: AO Starting Pay  (Read 13880 times)

zwink

AO Starting Pay
« on: Apr 29, 2009, 04:10 »
Does anybody know if starting AO hourly rates are generally negotiable, or is one best keeping their mouth shut?  I've got a M.S. in Information Systems, which doesn't help much for an operator position;  only really shows them that I can learn technical 'things' and stick to something.  No experience in the nuclear industry what-so-ever, but I had a lot of class / coursework from my B.S. in Chemistry, Physics, Math, and Naval Science (ship systems, etc).  If the hypothetical hourly range for this plant were $26hr - $33hr for AO, what should I hope for at best? On one hand, accepting what they offer and saying thank you is nice;  on the other, I could try to negotiate a higher rate but risk coming across as an ### (but an ### that can pay his bills). 

Any relevant experience here anyone can offer would be super.

Fermi2

Re: AO Starting Pay
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2009, 04:25 »
Your MS in Information Systems doesn't at all tell me you can learn anything truly technical.
In general, no, experience in the actual industry helps if it's a Non Union Plant, otherwise...

Mike

zwink

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2009, 04:31 »
Well lets hope the hiring panel doesn't share your view.  :) 

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2009, 05:21 »
They will.

Mike

zwink

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2009, 05:49 »
I can already see there is probably this latent hostility between ex-service persons and persons with degrees.  Sounds like an absolute hoot. Good thing this plant loves college graduates... which one do you work at so I can stay far far away :)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2009, 06:47 »
I can already see there is probably this latent hostility between ex-service persons and persons with degrees.  Sounds like an absolute hoot. Good thing this plant loves college graduates... which one do you work at so I can stay far far away :)

Wow, you are a sassy little devil... ;)

While BZ comes across as opinionated and grumpy, he is one of the most experienced posters here. You would do well to listen to the information between the grumbles...he really is helpful.

A college degree is helpful to some. An AO position is very field oriented, hands on type work. The technical / computer stuff will come into play more after you have some experience and training on the plant and the systems.

You would do well if you could get past the Navy vs Degree attitude, and learn from the experienced folks that will be working with you, regardless of their background.

There are also many operators with neither degree or Navy experience...and they are good operators. Where you come from is really less important than what you put into it.

Peace,   :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:14 »

I wouldn't assume hostility because I'm pretty certain that it's non-existent.  If the plant is a Non-Union plant then the wages might be negotiable, if it's a Union plant they'll be set by contract and based upon on progression through qualifications.  
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

zwink

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:26 »
How do you find out if the plants in a/the union or not?  I wasn't serious about the hostility; I know its hard to get the facetious nature of comments through forums posts. I actually think (intuitively) my degrees won't mean crap at this job simply due to its nature.  Its like having a M.S. in Astrology and being an auto repairman.  However, the degrees are a nice back up since computers don't appear to be going anywhere.  I was really just hoping they would pay me a buck more because I had a degree.   :'( 

I think if more people knew what these jobs paid with virtually no education / experience req., they would be much more competitive than they already are.  Median <household> income down here is $32k/yr;  the AO position starts at $62kish.  Crazy. And thats w/o overtime. 

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:49 »
How do you find out if the plants in a/the union or not?  I wasn't serious about the hostility; I know its hard to get the facetious nature of comments through forums posts. I actually think (intuitively) my degrees won't mean crap at this job simply due to its nature.  Its like having a M.S. in Astrology and being an auto repairman.  However, the degrees are a nice back up since computers don't appear to be going anywhere.  I was really just hoping they would pay me a buck more because I had a degree.   :'( 

I think if more people knew what these jobs paid with virtually no education / experience req., they would be much more competitive than they already are.  Median <household> income down here is $32k/yr;  the AO position starts at $62kish.  Crazy. And thats w/o overtime. 

Nope, AO is a entry level position so pay will not be very negotiable.

No education or experience?  Now you are smoking crack!  You will find a navy nuke fresh out of the service has more experience than you can shake a stick at for operating a plant.  Typically they will qualify quicker and do better than a person with a degree.  Also, try and get a position without either prior commercial experience, navy nuke, of a technical degree and see how that works for you.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2009, 07:54 »
I started at 23 and change and will go to 34 in May after 1 and half years. Will top out at 40ish in about 24 months.

College degrees don't mean diddly in Commercial OPs when it comes to actually doing the job.

My degree hasn't helped me directly, but it doesn't hurt. My in was ex-Navy and some commercial experience. My stay in has been attitude and self motivation.

Take whatever is offered, come in humble, take it, and soon what your starting wage was will be immaterial.

zwink

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2009, 10:18 »
No education or experience?  Now you are smoking crack!  You will find a navy nuke fresh out of the service has more experience than you can shake a stick at for operating a plant.

I wasn't trying to say that navy wasn't experience. I was trying to say this plant says it hires people for the AO position w/o any experience whatsoever;  IE: a high school graduate.  Whether that has happened or not, who knows. 

I started at 23 and change and will go to 34 in May after 1 and half years. Will top out at 40ish in about 24 months.

That is just insane... good job :) 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:05 »

I think if more people knew what these jobs paid with virtually no education / experience req., they would be much more competitive than they already are. 

It's still a competition. I once saw a Region IV plant run full page ads in the paper to get every shape,flavor,hue and persuasion to apply. Over 500 in line, with free pizza and pop and movies on what an AO does.

Between no show/no pass of either POSS test, piss test, interview or common sense.... that utility ended up with a class of about 20 ex-Navy nukes. Having the high score on the POSS test won't overcome someone else's better interview skills or "Resume Poker"

zwink

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2009, 08:12 »
Thats probably because 450/500 of them were navy nukes to start with :)

I remember out of high school they tried to get me to go to Navy Nuke school in Charleston w/ something like a 6 year total commitment.  Their overly repetitive selling point was almost verbatim, "...and when you get out, you'll be making 6 figures at a nuclear power plant". They were not selling the Navy, but what you make when you get out (largely because the Navy doesn't pay poo, especially to enlisted).  I always found myself wondering about the supply versus demand for ejected Navy personnel at these plants.  Regardless, it seems all of the ex-navy are trying their hardest to make their recruiters speech come true.  I would be to... but as we all know, unless its in writing...

One guy at the test (ex-navy) said he had been applying for 6 years to get an AO position at a nuke plant, and this was his first phone call back. He was very "confident";  I hope he passed after waiting that long. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:05 »
Thats probably because 450/500 of them were navy nukes to start with :)

You missed the whole point of the post. Thank you for proving my point.

zwink

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:10 »
I actually thought the point was that ex navy nukes get free pizza and star in movies about power plant operators.  Damn I bet I bombed the reading portion  ;)

zwink

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2009, 09:14 »
Anyway, all jokes and annoying comments aside -- this board has been very useful on information regarding the POSS test, interviews, salaries, what the operator position entails, and the like.  I appreciate all of the info and will now retire back into the depths of the internet from wherest I came (before my Karma goes back down to 0...  :-X). 

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2009, 10:17 »
C'mon back.  Annoying comments aside  :P, we're hopeful that you are successful in getting the job and joining in the fun that is commercial nuke.  Something about shared pain.  Best of luck and I do hope you'll return, even if we don't that it's you coming back. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?