Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Distance Learning and the GI Bill/Veterans Scholarship honeypot

Author Topic: Distance Learning and the GI Bill/Veterans Scholarship  (Read 6367 times)

kungfupflanzer

Sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering if I could use the Illinois Veteran's Grant for a distance learning degree from an Illinois college. I can provide my parents' address for proof of legal residency in Illinois. I am trying to find a way that I can stay here in Madison, WI, and use my Illinois benefits without having to relocate. Money is a little tight and I just picked up a part time job (although I'm working nearly 40 hrs/wk) at Home Depot. They want me to work 90 days before they allow me to relocate to an Illinois store.

What I'd like to do is use the veteran's scholarship to pay for school, and use the GI Bill and other various grants, along with VA disability and unemployment (if I can collect it) to supplement my income from Home Depot. I have 90+ credits towards my BSAST with Excelsior college, and was hoping to enroll in U of I Urbana-Champagne, but I missed the application period for Fall '09. I don't know how many credits U of I will give me. If I can do distance learning for now to earn credits that would later apply to my U of I degree while I put away money so that I can relocate to U of I at the next available application period... that would be great.

Essentially I'm just trying to have the best possible quality of life for my family (wife and stepson) and I while I finish my degree.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Distance Learning and the GI Bill/Veterans Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:46 »
GI Bill monies are paid directly to the school, with the exception of the monthly stipend now paid by the post 9/11 GI Bill, which hasn't gone into effect yet.  SO, GI Bill cannot be used to "supplement" your income.
As for your other question, that is best directed to the University and state providing the grant.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03 »
The GI Bill is paid directly to your checking account.  I have been using the GI Bill for the past 2 years for schooling and it has never paid the school a dime for me.  Since the GI Bill is paid out in monthly increments, you probably will have to take out a student loan since the school will want their money up front, unless they make some sort of deal.

Jason

Offline empills

• Very Lite User
  • MOO?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:17 »
Depends on which GI bill you are talking about Chapter 30 or the post 9/11 GI bill. Chapter 30 pays you a reimbursement and the post 9/11 GI bill pays the school. Here is the link for the GI bill http://www.gibill.va.gov/. There is a Question and Answer section that may have the answer you are looking for. If not you can email them your question takes about a week to get a response. Hope this helps.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:06 »
Hmmm.  I used the GI Bill to finish my undergraduate degree while on active duty in 2004 and never saw a dime in my checking account from the VA.  Of course I wasn't getting full-time benefits, so maybe that had something to do with it.  I had to pay the school up front, take the class, submit the grades, then the VA would pay for the course, and the school would pay me back.  Just my experience...which was a little while ago.
The post 9/11 GI Bill is a great deal.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?