Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu American Nuclear Society  

Author Topic: American Nuclear Society  (Read 7932 times)

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
American Nuclear Society
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:08 »
This question is about professional organizations.....

Is maintaining membership in a professional organization such as the American Nuclear Society worth  the cost.

I was a student member of ANS for the three years I worked on my graduate degree, but now that I'm graduating I'm not sure I want to maintain my membership, especially since it costs more.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: American Nuclear Society
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:21 »
Networking is always good. Organizations specific to your specialty would be best.

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:28 »
I am a member of a professional society and have been for five years, but not the ANS.  My experience is that I receive information in the way of journals and meetings, much of which is well over my head (PhD level).  The meetings are informative, and the other active members are good people, but I don't talk to them much outside of chapter meetings.  There is opportunity to chair a committee or give lectures, which could help further your career.  Other than that, you could feel good knowing your money is going to an organization that supports your interests.

PM me if you want more details.

Dave
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 02:35 »
The company I work for (Dominion) re-imburses me for all membership fees in job related organizations.  Might be worth looking into where you're at...
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:36 »
The company I work for (Dominion) re-imburses me for all membership fees in job related organizations.  Might be worth looking into where you're at...

I'm still Active Duty USN.

The navy doesn't reimburse for professional memberships. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

stownsend

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:49 »
This question is about professional organizations.....

Is maintaining membership in a professional organization such as the American Nuclear Society worth  the cost.

I maintain my membership in HPS because it gives me the points(5) I need to maintain NRRPT over and above the 15 I get for practicing HP.

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:40 »
And you can get CEU for your PE license, if you have one.

There are usually annual conferences, buy discount standards/papers, submit papers for publishing, standards committees, etc.

What are you looking to receive from being in a professional society?

Dave
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 11:44 »
I doubt you can justify membership cost through any economic analysis.  But there is value in being part of groups with common interests.  The magazines and journals help you to remain current with what is going on in your chosen profession.  Overall while you may not be able to show that such and such society makes you extra,  I think you should at least consider it.  IF for no other reason that they generally have good help wanted sections.  Almost as good as Nukeworker :)

Personally I'm a member of ANS, NRRPT, HPS and AAHP. Cost a bit but I think I get value from all of them .  But you have to weigh that for yourself
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:34 »
I'm still Active Duty USN.

The navy doesn't reimburse for professional memberships. 

DUH - color me stupid!   :-[

I wouldn't recommend civilian professional memberships to any member of the nuclear Navy.  Maybe possibly if they were preparing to get out and wanted to use it to bolster their personal portfolio, but even then only maybe (it would depend on some other situation-specific factors).

The Nuclear Navy follows only the path of the Nuclear Navy - period.  Anything from the commercial side of nuclear power has to come through Naval Reactors (usually via DOE).  And even then, remember how long it took Multi-Function Radiacs to go from concept to wholesale implementation in the field?  [It was almost ten years!]  So breakthroughs and developments in the commercial nuke industry don't exactly have a lot bearing when you're haze grey 'n underway.

I am a member of a couple of civilian nuclear organizations today.  And looking back, I don't think they would have helped me do my job (as LELT or as a Navy Nuke in general) in any truly meaningful way.

In short, membership in a civilian nuclear organization has just about zero practical application for a servicemember in the Nuclear Navy.  Therefore, justification for a Navy Nuke to pay the cost of membership in one of these organizations would hinge entirely on their own personal interest/curiosity.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:40 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 11:25 »
In my opinion, ANS is worth the expense.  Some companies will fully or partially cover the membership cost.  Many companies will support your participation in the various meetings that are held (as either an attendee or as someone giving a presentation).  Others will support your participation in ANS governance (the various committees and divisions that put on the meetings, write the ANS standards, etc.).  If you're in the Navy and getting out relatively soon, it's a way to get a feel for the nuclear industry (including the parts not related to commercial nuclear power).

Like any organization, what you get out of it is related to what effort you put into it.  You can merely read Nuclear News to see what is going on in the industry, you can be heavily involved in your local section, or you can participate in the national organization.

One big benefit of ANS if you are in the engineering area is the opportunity to get to know the various NRC and national lab people involved in your area at the national meetings.  For instance, if you are involved in some of the recent Control Room habitability and containment sump issues, attendance at ANS meetings is a chance to meet with the national lab people performing some of the chemical effects experiments.  If you are involved in issues with FSAR post-accident containment atmospheric cleanup, ANS membership would let you get to know Dana Powers, whose model is specified in Section 6.5.2 of the NUREG-0800 Standard Review Plan.

Getting involved in any of the many ANS national committees is an excellent way to get to know people in other companies (networking).  At one evening event at an ANS national meeting, I was at the same table with the nuclear VPs for two different utilities.  One of the discussions at the table was why one utility chose a particular design for their new plant.  A different discussion at that same table was with someone who had worked on the Lunar Module before getting into nuclear (complete with stories about the Apollo astronauts).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?