Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out of Navy, best options?

Author Topic: Getting out of Navy, best options?  (Read 29798 times)

ashr0286

Getting out of Navy, best options?
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:48 »
So I'm getting out of the Navy as a nuclear electrician's mate with six years and out.  I qualified all the way through Load Dispatcher and Shutdown Reactor Operator. I finished my BSAST in Nuclear Engineering Technology. I'm looking at getting into a job as a nuclear training instructor or nuclear plant operator. What are my best options and what kind of starting salary should I expect? I'm looking at something in either Florida, Ohio, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tennessee.  Does anyone have any input?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Getting out of Navy, best options?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:10 »
Stay in.

Some will disagree with this but unless they are job hunting in this current market they don't know.

I've been out for about two and a half months now the only job I have been able to land involves saying "hi welcome to Walmart".... I'm not kidding. I had interviews with four different utilities before I got out, no offers. I currently have around 30 applications out across the country in various industries power, gas, medical repair, field tech support, wind farms , and ethanol plants. So far one interview. I have headhunters from Orion and Lucas group. So far the only things that have come up are field tech jobs with nearly 100% travel.

At this point I now on the verge of bankruptcy have contacted a recruiter and started getting the paperwork together to get back in before I destroy my credit and can't. And from the sound of it I'm not only going to loose rank but also possibly my zone B SRB.

If you can live poor for a while until things get better they maybe getting out will be fine, but don't plan on the typical nuke dream "everything will be better out of the navy"

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 10:55 »
Stay in.

Some will disagree with this but unless they are job hunting in this current market they don't know.

I've been out for about two and a half months now the only job I have been able to land involves saying "hi welcome to Walmart".... I'm not kidding. I had interviews with four different utilities before I got out, no offers. I currently have around 30 applications out across the country in various industries power, gas, medical repair, field tech support, wind farms , and ethanol plants. So far one interview. I have headhunters from Orion and Lucas group. So far the only things that have come up are field tech jobs with nearly 100% travel.

At this point I now on the verge of bankruptcy have contacted a recruiter and started getting the paperwork together to get back in before I destroy my credit and can't. And from the sound of it I'm not only going to loose rank but also possibly my zone B SRB.

If you can live poor for a while until things get better they maybe getting out will be fine, but don't plan on the typical nuke dream "everything will be better out of the navy"

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you thought about having someone here, like Broadzilla, look at your resume? Perhaps they can tell you what is wrong with it, if anything. Not that I am saying anything is wrong with your resume or your interviews, but something isn't working somewhere because your experience is the opposite of what I see all the time. Good luck to you and I hope something works out for your soon!

Justin

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:43 »
Sorry you feel that way, we are hiring all the time. Starting a new AO class this summer. If you can't find a permanent OPs position you need to take a deeper look at something beside the economy......

ashr0286

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 05:56 »
I've made my resume and posted it but can't do anything until less than 90 days out.  I've had head hunters and jobs contact me but I have to wait to do interviews until less than 90 again.  I'm confident that I'll be able to get a job, just a question of where.  Any good plants out there or are they all the same?

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 06:36 »
Honestly,

If you had a halfway decent Navy background, with the amount of people everyone is hiring as of late, and you can't get a job maybe you gotta look within.

Mike

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59 »
I've made my resume and posted it but can't do anything until less than 90 days out.  I've had head hunters and jobs contact me but I have to wait to do interviews until less than 90 again.  I'm confident that I'll be able to get a job, just a question of where.  Any good plants out there or are they all the same?

I (and many others I work with) were hired 4-12 months before EAOS.  Are you deployed?

Don't get pissed, re-enlist  ;)

DM
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline slarmox2

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16 »
4-12 months before EAOS? Please, tell us more!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:58 »
I (and many others I work with) were hired 4-12 months before EAOS.  Are you deployed?

DM,
 Just for clarification (my spider sense is tingling that some posters on this thread are skeptical regarding job offers months prior to EAOS ), do you know of any AO or other entry-level hires pre-EAOS? The Instant SRO path is Management at most plants, so HR has more discretion on holding a spot open for an extended length of time.

Thanks!

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:11 »
Actually TVA did that. We didn't do it for any AUOs, at least at Sequoyah but since we planned our SRO classes out through 2011 we hired some Navy individuals quite awhile prior to their EAOS. I know of one individual who we hired at least 6 months prior to his EAOS. If you're gonna get some T Ballers you might as well lock them in early.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 10:34 »
One guy I worked with got an offer in April 2008, from WBN, to start in January 2010.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:51 »
One guy I worked with got an offer in April 2008, from WBN, to start in January 2010.

No he didn't, but nice try.

Offline Jimmykroffa

• Light User
  • Nuclear Operator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:58 »
It's definitely not uncommon for people getting out of the Navy to have a job offer before they get out months in advance. I know a guy who had offers from 2 plants, six months from EAOS, one for an instant SRO and the other for an engineering job. Personally, I had an offer 3 months from EAOS for a non-licensed position ;)

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:07 »
No he didn't, but nice try.

Yes he did.  You should talk to some of the SRO candidates at your plant.  A couple of them know him too. 

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 11:10 »
He lied.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 11:24 »
You crack me up.  hehe.  You don't even know the guy, but hey....if you wanna call him a liar, I guess you can do that. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 01:11 »

did he end up hiring on, or ?

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 01:14 »
I know he didn't get a job offer, And by the way, the new hires are not SRO Candidates.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 01:15 »
did he end up hiring on, or ?

he accepted the offer

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 01:16 »
Which plant?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 01:20 »
Which plant?

Now, now, using your super powers and a Search feature I'm sure you can determine that  :P

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 01:22 »
LOL I wish Dave but without a name or a plant...

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 01:23 »
Watts Bar

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:26 »
Thank you !
See my niceness today, I even thanked a T Baller.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 01:30 »
No problem!  I hope you get to meet the guy some day!  You'd probably like him.....even though he is a "T baller."

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 01:37 »
Oh I tend to like anyone who takes a shot at being an operator. I've adopted quite a few T Ballers. I want them to succeed.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39 »
So, BZ, you would like to wager 50 quatloos FOR the newcomer? ;)

On topic: xforce, the buddy in question was hired for Aux Operator, or Instant SRO ??

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 01:40 »
LOL usually I'm the one being wagered about!

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51 »
Instant SRO

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 01:57 »
So, let's clarify here, since the thread was originally about Aux Operator spots and how early they would receive offers in advance of EAOS.

Instant SRO is a management position, HR has discretion on holding FLSA Exempt positions open for a significant length of time.

Aux Operators....those spots are FLSA non-exempt, and either the Union contract, MOUs or other labor law constrain the length of time position posted to signed acceptance letter.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 02:08 »
My initial post on this thread was in reply to:
Actually TVA did that. We didn't do it for any AUOs, at least at Sequoyah but since we planned our SRO classes out through 2011 we hired some Navy individuals quite awhile prior to their EAOS. I know of one individual who we hired at least 6 months prior to his EAOS. If you're gonna get some T Ballers you might as well lock them in early.

Sorry if I got off topic, and thanks for the clarification.  Didn't mean to give anybody out there false hope of locking in an AUO job that far in advance.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 02:27 »
My initial post on this thread was in reply to:
Sorry if I got off topic, and thanks for the clarification.  Didn't mean to give anybody out there false hope of locking in an AUO job that far in advance.

+ K to ya!

Offline Ambered

• Light User
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 09:42 »
what does "T baller" mean?   :-\

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 10:15 »
what does "T baller" mean?   :-\

Its some people's way of saying that those of us in the navy are inferior to commercial operators.....

i.e  commercial operators are the "big leagues" while us navy folks are "minor leaguers"
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 10:28 »
 ;D ;D ;D Every day in simulator training I learn just how true that is though.  :P :P :P

I now understand why Mike responds the way he does on the occasion that some young EOOW comes here and tries to assert that he is equally qualified as an SRO. We passed that level week one in "into to BWRs."  ;D 8) :P

These old BWRs piss me right off! So tempermental! 8)

Justin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:26 by JustinHEMI »

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45 »
I'm pretty sure that I passed the level of most young EOOW's while I was still sitting RO on the boat!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 12:24 »
 ;D ;D +K

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 02:02 »
DM,
 Just for clarification (my spider sense is tingling that some posters on this thread are skeptical regarding job offers months prior to EAOS ), do you know of any AO or other entry-level hires pre-EAOS? The Instant SRO path is Management at most plants, so HR has more discretion on holding a spot open for an extended length of time.

Thanks!

I retired in November 2008.  My navy job had me occupied for most of September and October so I worked very hard at my job search in June, July, August.  I was offered Direct SRO at Millstone (interviewed for NLO in July) and Watts Bar.  I was offered an NLO position at Vermont Yankee.  I was offered a job at a nuclear contractor who basically worked on fire protection, and I was offered a job with a renewable energy company.  All these were in July, August, and September.   I heard of few guys in training and engineering getting offers months in advance.  I don't know of any NLOs.  I have a good friend who's been out of the navy for about 20 years I'm trying to help get an NLO position in TN, but the word here is no NLO class for two years.

Derek
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

hnwaters

« Reply #39 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:48 »
I applied and interviewed a month ago for AO position. I am starting in August however the class doesn't start until december. Some of the other candidates are not starting until then. So that would be about 6 months ahead of time. Some plants seem more flexible than others from the information I recieved when interviewing for positions.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?