Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for ANO interview

Author Topic: Advice for ANO interview  (Read 25315 times)

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Advice for ANO interview
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:31 »
I just got an interview/POSS testing date at ANO and was looking for any and all information before heading out there in a few weeks.  I've been searching the forums, but some of the posts are pretty old so I was hoping to get a bit more recent information.

I'm an ex Navy EM, did my six years and got out.  Looking to start as an auxiliary operator.  I'm confident that I'll do fine on the POSS (based on the practice test I took), but I haven't had a job interview in quite some time.  Any advice?  Pitfalls?

What about travel?  Do you submit an expense report?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 06:53 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Advice for ANO interview
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:00 »
NLOs rarely travel unless your company does shared resources and you travel for sister plant outages. Usually it is flat per diem. Sometimes I submit to my pay cleark mileage for going to work related functions.

Search for STAR interview techniques.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:12 »
A few utilities will pay SOME meal & incidentals for interviewees. That's a question (among many) you want to ask HR long before before the interview. Don't assume anything, ask!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:20 »

I interviewed at a different Entergy plant last summer.   I gave them my receipts for plane ticket, rental car, & hotel and had a reimbursement check in about a week.  I don't remember if I asked about meals, but it couldn't hurt.

Good luck!  :)

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:18 »
I just got an interview/POSS testing date at ANO 1 and was looking for any and all information before heading out there in a few weeks.  I've been searching the forums, but some of the posts are pretty old so I was hoping to get a bit more recent information.

I'm an ex Navy EM, did my six years and got out.  Looking to start as an auxiliary operator.  I'm confident that I'll do fine on the POSS (based on the practice test I took), but I haven't had a job interview in quite some time.  Any advice?  Pitfalls?

Thanks in advance.

ANO is a great place, good people nice area to live (unless you are looking for a wild night life). It is a dry county (ie no liquor stores only  few private clubs)

With enough advance notice HR will coordinate your travel.  They should get your airline ticket, rental car and hotel.  Keep all your other receipts and they will give you a form to fill out for reimbursement.

Be open and honest, you will be interviewing whit a panel that will typically have non-licensed operators (AUOs) through senior reactor operators.  They will be able to tell if you are blowing smoke.

Be ready for behavioral interviewing type questions, try and use real examples based on your experience (it is ok to use non work related examples if they fit the question).

Do not go in there overconfident or cocky...

Good luck!  If you get an offer and need a good realtor let me know.  I still have some good contacts in the area.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:39 »
I was reimbursed for all my expenses on every interview on which I've ever been.

A few things to look for:

1: What do you do well and why?

2: How does what you do well translate into making a group or team better?

3: Give us an example of something you've done to make your group better? (Note if you don't have a nuclear version then give an example of a non nuke thing)

4: What do you feel are your weaknesses?

5: What are you doing to address these?

6: Tell us about a time your boss gave you feedback you didn't like? What did you do with it? What did you learn?

7: What are your career goals?

8: AND this is IMPORTANT, you screw this UP and you won't get the job. You're getting ready to do a job, your boss comes up and says training has come out with a new way to do it OR he wants you to do it this way. You look at your procedure and it's done in a different way. What will you do?

There are lots of ways to ask that question for instance you see a group of people doing a job in a clearly incorrect or unsafe fashion. What are you going to do? (An initial response of well I'll tell my boss is NOT correct!)

Be able to discuss commitment to safety, quality, and human performance. In fact if you want them eating out of your hand try to fit in something about whenever you are working or planning a job you look plan in the following order.
1: Industrial Personnel Radiological Safety.
2: Nuclear Safety
3: Quality work including quality procedures.

Don't fidget or squirm. If they ask an unexpected question and you don't have an immediate answer try not to look surprised, and ask if you can think about it a minute.
Be willing to discuss your career goals and yes they realize you can't possibly know about every position at the plant. Try to have about 3 to 5 questions about the company or job available in case they give you time to ask. Bring a few copies of your resume and when you enter the interview room ask the interview panel members if they'd like a copy.
If you use the term References available upon request you best have your list with you because whenever I see that term I'll ask for the list. If they can't give it, then they lied to me therefore it don't care how qualified they are. Whenever I interview I place my hands on my knees because I tend to drum my fingers or tap my middle finger on tables.

Mike

Mike
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:46 by Broadzilla »

travisroberts65@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:57 »
So i just took the test on the 27th and I live in Arkansas so they didnt schedule an interview for that day.....how long do you think it will take to send me an email or letter saying I passed or failed and whether they want to interview or not?

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:59 »
I understand that many that showed up for that interview were not professionally dressed (I hope you were). I also understand that most locals were sent away for later interviews and all those flown in were interviewed because of cost/time constraints,,,kinda makes sense. I know the applicant pool was low so if you did well / passed on your POSS you should be getting an interview in the next coming weeks but of course this is just my opinion based on limited experience,,,good luck
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 11:23 »
thanks for replying...yeah i dressed in a suit and I feel really confident that i passed the POSS. But I guess i will find out. Thanks for the info.

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:08 »
I took the same test on the 27th and Angela (the HR ladie) said that within a week they would be sending letters to those who took the test and it will say only pass/fail.  It will come to the address that you put on the sign up sheet we filled out before the test.

connedale

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2009, 07:13 »
Has anyone received their letter yet?

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:51 »
Nope havent gotten anything yet will post as soon as I do. Hope everyone else will also!!!

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2009, 11:01 »
I had a response waiting for me as soon as I got back.  It said that I could naturally enhance my manhood, refinance my mortgage, transfer millions of dollars into my bank account, and that I had been randomly selected to participate in a survey.

I must be the luckiest guy on the planet!
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

« Reply #13 on: Jun 04, 2009, 12:34 »
well I got an email today. my interview in next week. just to let yall know.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2009, 03:44 »
Good Luck!!

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2009, 06:45 »
well I got an email today. my interview in next week. just to let yall know.

Is that for your first interview or your second???

connedale

« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2009, 10:22 »
I received an email requesting acceptance of interview #1 next week. 

Eric,  have you already done your first (out of state)?

« Reply #17 on: Jun 05, 2009, 08:28 »
yeah this is my first interview.

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #18 on: Jun 06, 2009, 12:21 »
yeah this is my first interview.
So that means they still have a little while before they make hiring decisions.  They are sopposed to class up on July 6th or so I hear!!!

« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2009, 01:27 »
so if i were hired how long of a notice do you think i'd get to move down there and stuff?

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:20 »
Not completely sure, im guessing at least a few weeks but... you never really know!

wantabe

« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2009, 11:22 »
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and would greatly appreciate some help on a few questions. On my status at ANO's careere site it states that I'm "To be interviewed" for a Nuclear Plant Operators postion. However, my status has been this way for almost five months. I have not received any phone calls or emails from ANO. Just wondering if this is normal. Also, Eric or Travis can you please tell me how many people tested when you did.

« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2009, 05:59 »
about 20 people were there when i tested....also i just interviewed today and they told me that i should know if i got the job in like two weeks or so.

wantabe

« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2009, 09:29 »
Thanks for the reply Travis. Also, the postion you interviewed for was a Nuclear Auxiliary 1 Operator correct? Can you or anyone else tell me the difference between a Nuclear Auxiliary 1 Operator and a Nuclear Plant Operator. I have read the job description for both postions and they seem identical. Are they the same job with different titles? 
Thanks again,

wantabe

eric_mullins1981

« Reply #24 on: Jun 12, 2009, 07:13 »
They dont seem to have that many job classifications as far as ops is concerned they have AO (Aux Operator) RO (Reactor Op) and SRO (Senior you get the point) im sure the AO spot and the Operator is the same.  I just got my test results back, DID ANY ONE ELSE???  ALSO DID ANYONE GET TWO???  I did, seems kinda wierd I only took one test!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?