Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu mm, em, et, elt?  

Author Topic: mm, em, et, elt?  (Read 49402 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: mm, em, et, elt?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 11:21 »
I had a shift of ELTs who worked for me who made up the majority of the ship's Rugby team [not a lot of Dostoevsky reading on that shift].  

I played Rugby for the Hampton City Rugby Club while I was in, and with a number of clubs while I traveled as a Rad Tech after I got out. I did not read Dostoevsky but I did read Solzhenitsyn. We ELTs are Renaissance men.  8)

LaviniaSkies

« Reply #51 on: Jun 26, 2009, 01:02 »
Mmkay, on topic:

My husband was 25 when he enlisted, was classified an MM, and received a bonus of $28000.

co60slr

« Reply #52 on: Jun 26, 2009, 05:56 »
Work harder then the next guy and you will be rewarded......If you are an ELT and you just want to sit in nucleonics and shoot the breeze, then you will reap what you sow and likely be a career MM1.  If, on the other hand, you become a vital part of M-div as well as RL div, you will stand-out and you will be rewarded for your hard work.

AMEN!!!  The secret to success in any rate, rank, or nuclear profession!

Separately, since there are few 13 year MMCMs out there...I may know this one.  If so, he also did back to back sea tours until he made E-9.   What...join the Navy and enjoy going out to sea?   Outrageous!   <grin>   Obviously not for everyone, but if you're having fun and giving 110% the Navy does reward well.

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
« Reply #53 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:03 »
Well, crank up the flamethrowers (even though this is all in fun!!):

You already qualify for training as an ELT due to the non-standing manner in which you void condensation from your FWDCTs.

(That's "squats to pee" for any of the rocks out there! Try using the "search" function.)

That is too good, and a joke that only a nuke would get.  You know you have been away from the boat for a while when it takes a minute to recall what FWDCTs are.

IPREGEN

« Reply #54 on: Jun 29, 2009, 01:49 »
waaaaay back somebody at prototype told me the Navy selects ELTs based on their ability to make judgement calls and work independently. It sounds nice and maybe once in a while it's true, but sucking up and doing whatever else it takes also gets people in there. It may be helpful if you figure out who the ELT staff instructors are and get to know them when you are in prototype. Not to say that you wouldn't be picked anyway, but they are the ones that will work with you.
There are ELTs and those that begrudge them. I never met an ELT that wanted to be one of the other watchstanders, so it's easy to figure out who has the better job.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #55 on: Jun 29, 2009, 10:08 »
That may be the best summation evah!!!!,.... ;)

Occam's razor strikes again  ;) .

AtlsFinest84

« Reply #56 on: Jul 03, 2009, 03:30 »
Hi, well I have not read all of the responses people may have given you but I will tell you that there is an age waiver. I am 24 years old and I turn 25 in October. However, the first ship date available was March 1, 2010. I went to MEPS and they were ready to work out an age waiver for me until miraculously a ship date of Oct 1 opened up! As far as your family situation goes it sounds like you have a lot going on. Best of luck with that.

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
« Reply #57 on: Jul 04, 2009, 07:21 »
Hi, well I have not read all of the responses people may have given you but I will tell you that there is an age waiver. I am 24 years old and I turn 25 in October. However, the first ship date available was March 1, 2010. I went to MEPS and they were ready to work out an age waiver for me until miraculously a ship date of Oct 1 opened up! As far as your family situation goes it sounds like you have a lot going on. Best of luck with that.

Well, I leave August 3rd, don't need the waiver anymore.  A lot of things have changed, only for the better.  We are more prepared for the future, and in fact, there is not actually a whole "lot going on" in my family.  Not everyone lives the same way...not every family has the same expectations.  Believe me, I'm not going into this thinking that this is going to be a piece of cake, but I don't want to get on a rant about people asking me how a mother can leave her child behind, like I haven't heard it, or thought of it myself.  It's a matter of decision after much thought.  Congrats on getting in early.
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #58 on: Jul 05, 2009, 05:45 »
Well, I leave August 3rd, don't need the waiver anymore.  A lot of things have changed, only for the better.  We are more prepared for the future, and in fact, there is not actually a whole "lot going on" in my family.  Not everyone lives the same way...not every family has the same expectations.  Believe me, I'm not going into this thinking that this is going to be a piece of cake, but I don't want to get on a rant about people asking me how a mother can leave her child behind, like I haven't heard it, or thought of it myself.  It's a matter of decision after much thought.  Congrats on getting in early.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas to Thee.....
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #59 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:31 »
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

IPREGEN

« Reply #60 on: Jul 06, 2009, 01:30 »
Good luck. The whole Navy experience is not like boot camp. So take it a day at a time until it's over. It may seem ridiculous at times, and it is. But it will be over before you know it. Take advantage of all they have to offer.

SSBN640Blue

« Reply #61 on: Jul 10, 2009, 07:24 »
What is an ELT?
Well, I think you can tell from the responses, ELT's are generally kept way from the rest of the crew, that is why they have their own little lab and sometimes we put the lock on the outside.

What is the difference between an ET and and EM?
The other difference between ET and EM is the watches they qualify for.  EM's generally qualify as Electrical Plant Operator (EO) where as ET's qualify as Reactor Operators (RO).  So ET are cross trained in electronics and reactors, where the EM mainly stick to electrical.

Also, ET's have to qualify as EO, to be Shutdown Maneuvering Area Watch (SMAW) qualified.  When the reactor is at power, there is an Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW) in the Maneuvering Room with an EO and RO on watch.  When the reactor is shutdown, there isn't an EOOW in Maneuvering and the SMAW is in charge of the maintaining the reactor and electrical systems.  Although some EM's do qualify as SMAW, most SMAW's are ET's, since they are qualified reactor operators.  Only had 2 EM qualified SMAW when I was in.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #62 on: Jul 10, 2009, 07:56 »
What is an ELT?
Well, I think you can tell from the responses, ELT's are generally kept way from the rest of the crew, that is why they have their own little lab and sometimes we put the lock on the outside.

And I always thought ELT was just and abbreviation for elite.  8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?