Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sizewell  

Author Topic: Sizewell  (Read 29007 times)

Fermi2

Sizewell
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:59 »
I've always wanted to work in England as I'm a huge fan of it's history.

Fermi2

Re: Sizewell
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24 »
LOL No. England is a bit too cool for my thinning blood. But I love their history and the way your basic Brit acts.
I'm still working on the beach thing! The trouble is most beaches involve Florida and short of Panama City there's no place in Florida I'd want to live.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2009, 12:08 »
Any Sizewellians here?

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2009, 01:12 »
No, but a buddy of mine was over there for initial startup - something about the crazy American's being willing to work overtime, which the locals apparently weren't willing to.  He also ended up with a wife out of the job, so I guess he wasn't at work the entire time.

MrJoyce

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2009, 12:52 »
I'm curious as to how the typical Brit acts, but I've got to be honest- I'm leaving the UK because of the cost of living, the government and the weather.

Oh, and the enormous number of scumbags that provide nothing for this country

*burn over*

Offline wokrdan

• Very Lite User
UK vs. US
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18 »
How do the salaries compare between US and UK nuke plants for reactor operators or AO's? I'm interested in hopping the pond, but want to find out if the pay is going to be comparable on the other side. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37 »
It isn't only the pay you have to worry about.  Everything is more expensive and they tax everything.
LM

SZBoy

« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2011, 10:24 »
Hey Fella's

First post, by the way I'm an AEO Sizewellian!!!  The pay scales range anywhere between £30,000-£57,000 for AEO/RO depending on experience.  There's shift pay and emergency scheme money to throw in as well.

No idea how this compare's to the U.S.?

Sun Dog

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2011, 10:39 »
It isn't only the pay you have to worry about.  Everything is more expensive and they tax everything.
LM

What do they tax in the UK that they don't currently or plan to tax in the US?

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2011, 03:48 »
Hey Fella's

First post, by the way I'm an AEO Sizewellian!!!  The pay scales range anywhere between £30,000-£57,000 for AEO/RO depending on experience.  There's shift pay and emergency scheme money to throw in as well.

No idea how this compare's to the U.S.?

I applied there mid last year. I'd love to work in England.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2011, 05:06 »
I applied there mid last year. I'd love to work in England.

Me too! So how do we get you to England? Can I report you and have you deported?
 ;D

OK, I would love to work an outage at Sizewell when I stop working for the utility and semi-retire.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2011, 07:35 »
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually have an application in at Sizewell.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2011, 09:32 »

Great, can we come visit?

SZBoy

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2011, 08:54 »

Hey Broadzilla, look me up if you jump the pond and visit Sizewell.

Offline bandit1200

• Lurker
  • smile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2011, 11:12 »
I am going to work at sizewell this august, after going to everyone since the forced outage in 2001 or 02 it a great place. Just got back from the USA helping on 4 unit outages. Met some realy great techs. hard choice UK or USA hhmmmm!

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2011, 12:48 »
Hey Broadzilla, look me up if you jump the pond and visit Sizewell.

LOL dude the idea is for you to tell your management you know this simply brilliant Shift Manager from the other side of the pond and he'd love to work there!

Offline WallyAlligator

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2011, 01:22 »
Looking for any assistance on finding a place to stay for the Fall Outage at Sizewell.  Figure I will be there September and a couple weeks of October.  Prefer not to stay in the White Lion again...hotel rooms get to feeling really small after a couple weeks (also not cheap).

SZBoy

« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2011, 06:50 »
Hey WallyAli,

What sort of thing are you after mate? Aldeburgh will always be expensive, Leiston is cheaper, mainly Guest Houses, although there is the White Horse.  Good Friendly Pub/Hotel with a decent Landlord and a bit of life, probably the cheapest and nearest.  Saxmundham has the Bell Hotel although nightlife is POOR.  Woodbridge (10 miles) and then Ipswich (25 miles) probably too far after a 12 hr nightshift but many permanents do it.

Offline WallyAlligator

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2011, 08:47 »
What sort of thing are you after mate?

I am hoping to find a 1 bed self catering flat or cottage.  I don't mind doing a little cooking for myself - especially when working night shift since dinner choices are few at 8 or 9 AM. 

A room at a Guest House would probably be OK as long as they understood night shift hours and the fact that a night shift worker stays on night shift on a day off.  Not that I am assured of night shift but I spent the entire R010 on nights so no reason to believe different this time.

Any postings on bulletin boards on site targeted to those of us that are coming yet?

Thanks.

SZBoy

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2011, 12:45 »
Any postings on bulletin boards on site targeted to those of us that are coming yet?

Nothing yet on the boards, the recent grads used www.spareroom.co.uk to find accommodation.  The other option could be a static caravan??? there's a Caravanpark in Aldeburgh and Cakes and Ales on the outskirts of Leiston.   Being late/end season might be worth a try??

Sorry broadzilla, don't need any more shift managers!!! lol.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Jun 26, 2011, 08:57 »
Sorry broadzilla, don't need any more shift managers!!! lol.

Seeing as how Broadzilla would be the junior guy, maybe a spot as a "janitor" ?  :P

MacGyver

« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2011, 06:39 »
"That's funny I don't care who you are ... " - Larry th Cable Guy.    [ROFL]

Offline bandit1200

• Lurker
  • smile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:22 »
Spent all of RO10 on nights in containment as HP supervisor, good crew. Accomodation is a bugger the compay i work for use Suffolk secrets (holliday accomodation) or Pamela Pask (she has a B&B in Aldeburgh just down from the golf course but as earlier email stats Aldeburgh is pricey >:(.

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2011, 12:16 »
If I can live in England they can call me NUB, janitor, or Non Qual!

Offline WallyAlligator

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2011, 09:11 »
Suffolk Secrets (suffolk-secrets.com  +K) proved to be the winner.  I found a 1 bedroom flat in Aldeburgh available for all 6 weeks on their web site.  Took a lot of looking to find something that I did not have to move out while someone on holiday came for 3 to 7 days. All set now thanks to everyone that responded.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?