Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Options for the career sailor prior to getting out...

Author Topic: Options for the career sailor prior to getting out...  (Read 9045 times)

Offline Quinton

• Very Lite User
This will be my first post, so bear with me.

I am planning on staying in the Navy until my 20 are done.  Currently at the 12.5 year point, am qualified EWS/EDPO, and QAS.  I have a heavy background in the QA program, from doing the work, writing the packages, and now administering the program as the Assistant QAO.  I like to perfrom maintenance, direct maintenance tasks, supervise maintenance.  I do not like to give training.  I have taken a bunch of different college courses from different colleges with no real path for a degree from any one institute.

The discussion I pose, is what college and degree path should I venture down to attain a satisfying job after I get out.
I wouldn't mind doing QA, operations, or maintenance so long, as it is nuclear related.

Thanks for the replies ahead of time.

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Options for the career sailor prior to getting out...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:04 »
QA doesnt mean squat. Get your BS in whatever technical degree of your choice (TESC works fine), and your EWS quals will take you where you need to be. SRO would be the logical route, unless you wanted to get more involved in a separate field. Seeing your pride as a QA guy, Im going to assume you are a mechanic. Perhaps maintenance positions if you wished.

Thats speaking from operations point of view. Barring that, do a search here, and you will get tons of answers to your questions.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:18 »
QA actually means a lot and there is entire departments dedicated to it at nuke plants. The one at my plant is filled with ex-Navy QA people.

I do agree that any technical degree of your choice along with your quals will get you into QA, maintenance, or ops.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:48 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58 »
I recommend you get a technical degree.  QA in civilian nuclear power means something different than it does in the sub force.  That being said, work week managers and job planners are some of the most important people in the plant.  If you can get some experience as a job planner and research, and become familiar with, every type of scheduling software available, you'll have a desirable skillset.  Some civilian OPs experience would also be desirable (and required by some plants).

Disclaimer:  I am an ILT (SRO) student between my Audit and NRC exam.  My recommendation comes from my limited time on shift and observation of how works get done (or not done) during outages.    I did have 24+ years in the navy as an EM.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:42 »
QA actually means a lot and there is entire departments dedicated to it at nuke plants. The one at my plant is filled with ex-Navy QA people.

I do agree that any technical degree of your choice along with your quals will get you into QA, maintenance, or ops.

Everyone I've spoken with said navy QA quals didnt mean squat, members on here included. Perhaps experience WITH the quals is what you meant?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55 »
How about this. I will leave out "desired qualifications"

Maint Suppt:
88,000 - 140,000$
Qualifications, Experience, & Physical Requirements:
- B.S. in Education, Engineering, or a related technical degree or equivalent experience. (Equivalent experience is defined as demonstrated success at the Superintendent level.)
- 6 years of commercial nuclear power plant operations, maintenance, engineering, or security experience in the related discipline.
- Technical proficiency in Mechanical Maintenance.
- 2 years previous supervisory experience.
- Ability to gather data, make recommendations and decisions for complex problems.
- Broad technical understanding of nuclear generation principles and operation.
See applicable Reg. Guides (i.e., RG 1.8), ANSI / ANS Standards (i.e., 3.1 - 1978), and site Technical Specifications / FSAR / Procedures for any additional specific requirements.

Electrical Supervisor:
81,000 - 129,000$
-- High school diploma, 2 years of technical training, and 5 years of experience in the related field. (B.S. in Engineering or related technical degree may be credited for 3 years of experience.)
-- Technical proficiency in the Electrical Maintenance area.
-- Technical understanding of nuclear generation principles and operation.
ANSI/ANS Qualifications
All Sites - candidates must meet or exceed ANSI/ANS 18.1-1971 & ANSI/ANS 3.1-1978 (same requirements)
ANSI Section 4.3.2 ¿ Supervisors Not Requiring NRC Licenses
-- High School Diploma or equivalent.
-- 4 years of experience in craft or discipline he/she supervises.

QA Auditor:
79,000 - 119,000$
-- B.S. Degree in Engineering or technical field (may be waived, based on equivalent experience).
-- 6 years of nuclear power plant experience in the field of quality assurance or experience in plant operations.
-- Excellent communication skills.
-- Knowledge of Nuclear and other regulatory quality / QAPM requirements.
-- See ANSI/ANSN45.2.23-1978 and Procedure EN-QV-117, Attachment 9.2, ¿Lead Auditor Qualification / Certification Form¿.

Rad Protection MGR:
107,000 - 161,000 (holy crap!)
   -- B.S. degree in Engineering or other scientific discipline generally associated with power plant operations or Equivalent Experience. (Equivalent Experience is defined as demonstrated success at the Manager level. A degree is very strongly preferred.)
-- 8 years experience in nuclear power design, construction, maintenance, operations, radiation protection, PS&O, or equivalent.
-- 5 years supervisory/management experience.
-- Technical proficiency in Radiation Protection.
-- Technical understanding of nuclear generation principles and operation.

Project Manager :

-> Knowledge in the development of project funding packages, detailed project plans, project risk identification and mitigating strategies and large contracts management
-> As mentioned, possess a minimum of 10 years of previous nuclear power plant experience. 5 years in project management for large complex projects
-> Knowledge of Primavera 3 (or higher), MS Project and project scheduling tools preferred
-> BS in Engineering or related field
-> Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification and / or Reactor or Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) License or Certification are preferred

Procedure Writer :

At a minimum, 5 years in the procedure writing area using a template based from Microsoft Word
 -> Prior Operations or Chemistry experience in the Nuclear field
-> Proficient with Computer programs such as WORD 2007 and Work Management Programs
 -> At least 20 years in the Nuclear field (holy crap again!)
 -> An Operations background is preferable, but Chemistry is acceptable at Westinghouse PWR plants

Technical Expert :

- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or Science.

- Fifteen plus years of related nuclear experience in plant design / construction / operation or maintenance applicable Navy nuclear experience equally acceptable. Fourteen plus years with a Masters Degree or twelve plus years with a Doctorate Degree.

- Must have knowledge of the advanced Engineering principles, theory and concepts associated with multiple job disciplines. Must be able to lead projects that require nuclear design and licensing controls.

- Security screening and drug testing is required for access.

- Physical capability to work in the plant i.e. climb stairs, work in hot environment, work in radiation/contamination areas.

- Competencies: Expert knowledge, Communication, Decision making, Initiative, Innovation, Teamwork, Planning, Ethics, and Leadership.

- Management of multiple tasks, issues or projects, must have demonstrated excellent performance in subject area including managing/effecting cost reductions, performance improvements, risk analysis project or subject area accountabilities, effecting overall plant and business unit performance.

DTE Energy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Ok that should give you a good idea. I think I covered the "good jobs". Didnt see any openings for SRO at the companies I looked at.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:34 »
Everyone I've spoken with said navy QA quals didnt mean squat, members on here included. Perhaps experience WITH the quals is what you meant?

Correct.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24 »
Outside of nuclear power, I know of several guys who got hired as inspectors for pipelines, boilers and other heat exchangers.  Their navy QA experience was very desirable to these companies.  Like I posted previously, get a technical degree.  If that doesn't interest you pursue a degree in something that does.   The degree helps open more doors inside and outside of nuclear power.

Oh, and thanks for your service.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

MacGyver

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:07 »
This will be my first post, so bear with me.

I am planning on staying in the Navy until my 20 are done.  Currently at the 12.5 year point, am qualified EWS/EDPO, and QAS.  I have a heavy background in the QA program, from doing the work, writing the packages, and now administering the program as the Assistant QAO.  I like to perfrom maintenance, direct maintenance tasks, supervise maintenance.  I do not like to give training.  I have taken a bunch of different college courses from different colleges with no real path for a degree from any one institute.

The discussion I pose, is what college and degree path should I venture down to attain a satisfying job after I get out.
I wouldn't mind doing QA, operations, or maintenance so long, as it is nuclear related.

Thanks for the replies ahead of time.

I recommend you ask Preciousblue1965 via pm or search some of his posts.  I believe he chewed some of the same dirt and could possible give you some help in his own lessons learned.

Just a thought.

Mac

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:06 »
First GET YOUR TECHNICAL DEGREE. #1

Out side of nuclear power also look into Industrial Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, or Production Engineering jobs. There are tons of Quality Inspector jobs, to be had as almost anyone who produces a "widget" has to inspect it.

There is life besides nuclear power. Besides, you can make good coin, and only work 40 hrs a week. My understanding (not being in commercial nuclear power) is that most of the nuclear power jobs entail a lot of overtime, sure the pay is good, but being home with the wife and kids (or girlfriend/s or Rosie for that matter, up to you) is not to be overlooked.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:29 »
If your QA work includes weld inspection, mag particle testing, magna flux, or X-ray, you can write your own ticket. 
No one gets out alive.

Offline Quinton

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 02:58 »
Thanks for the input guys.  I am definitely working on getting my degree (BSAST in nuclear engineering technology), and plan on attacking more college working towards a Masters degree since the Navy pays for TA.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2011, 09:42 »
Would it be worth getting the ASQ certification for inspector to add to the experience and degree if I want to stay in the QA side of things?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?