Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu .3 dac fraction

Author Topic: .3 dac fraction  (Read 7547 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

.3 dac fraction
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:26 »

...i was recently asked, given an air sample volume and the concept of minimum detectable activity, how a field check of an air sample filter patch with a standard frisker can determine less than .3 dac fraction...

...what is the methodology supporting the graphs used in making these air sample field check determinations...

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Re: .3 dac fraction
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:17 »
So, i take it you never calc'd an air sample activity on the NUF exam??
The basics look something like this;

NCPM/vol(eff.)2.22 E6(1000 for liters or 28320 for CFM)
Seeing that a windows PC seems to to never be too far away anymore, using a PC calculator in the SCI mode, this can usuall be done in the field, least at the plant i work at.

::)

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
Re: .3 dac fraction
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46 »
You're going to have to make an initial assumption regarding your most limiting isotope.  Since I am working at a power RX, I'm going to assume that our limiting isotope here is 60Co (based on its abundance in the plant, and its restrictive DAC value).

From 10CFR20 Appx B Table 1, 60Co has a DAC value of 1E-8 mCi/ml.  (I'm using Class Y, which I base on an assumed chemical composition for our assumed 60Co isotope.)  Bear with me, we're almost done with our assumptions.

Since we have determined that DAC = 1E-8 mCi/ml, then 0.3DAC =
[0.3][1E-8 mCi/ml] = 3E-9 mCi/ml

The next step is to convert mCi to dpm:
[3E-9 mCi][2.2E6 dpm] = 6.6E-3 dpm/ml
[   ml   ][  1 mCi  ]

Then, for use with our field instruments, we need to convert dpm into ccpm.  I'll use a detector efficiency of 10%, which is typical of E-140N and L-177 field instruments.
[6.6E-3 dpm][0.10 ccpm] = 6.6E-4 ccpm/ml
            [  1 dpm  ]

Most field air samplers measure sample volume in either cubic feet or liters.  Where I work, the 'standard' air sample volume is 18ft3.  So 0.3DAC on an 18ft3 air sample works out to be:
[6.6E-4 ccpm][28300 ml][18 ft3] = 336 ccpm
[     ml    ][   ft3  ]

Therefore, as a simplified rule of thumb:
If a field check on a standard (18ft3) PAS shows >300 ccpm, you're over 0.3 DAC.
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?