Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Health Physics might become obsolete...

Author Topic: Health Physics might become obsolete...  (Read 5070 times)

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
Health Physics might become obsolete...
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:20 »
Take a look at this article from the Associated Press:

So now who cares if radiation gives you cancer?  All you have to do is go to the nurse's office and get a shot!

From the article:
Now, doctors have overcome 30 years of false starts and found success with a way to fight cancer: using the body's natural defender, the immune system.

The approach is called a cancer vaccine, although it treats the disease rather than prevents it.

Experimental vaccines against four cancers — lymphoma, prostate, melanoma, and an often fatal childhood tumor called neuroblastoma — gave positive results in late-stage testing in recent weeks, after decades of struggles in the lab.

[P.S.  It's still a loooonng way from being perfected.]
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Health Physics might become obsolete...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:14 »
Take a look at this article from the Associated Press:

So now who cares if radiation gives you cancer?  All you have to do is go to the nurse's office and get a shot!

From the article:
Now, doctors have overcome 30 years of false starts and found success with a way to fight cancer: using the body's natural defender, the immune system.

The approach is called a cancer vaccine, although it treats the disease rather than prevents it.

Experimental vaccines against four cancers — lymphoma, prostate, melanoma, and an often fatal childhood tumor called neuroblastoma — gave positive results in late-stage testing in recent weeks, after decades of struggles in the lab.

[P.S.  It's still a loooonng way from being perfected.]

Great article...thanks!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2009, 01:24 »
Good article since we are all the test subjects.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2009, 02:06 »

Will this rekindle the hormeisis debate? ;)

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2009, 10:09 »
Will this rekindle the hormeisis debate? ;)

Why not?  We could package it all up into one HP policy: at low doses radiation is good for you, at high doses you take two of these pills & call your doctor in the morning, and why yes I did try looking for work in the past week...   :P
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?