Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How hot are you? honeypot

Author Topic: How hot are you?  (Read 18425 times)

BB1980

How hot are you?
« on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:31 »
How high do your turbine building temps get in the summer?  Here at Oconee, we are already around 110-115 on the turbine deck, and will hit 120's in July/Aug.  Just trying to get an idea of the others in the industry.

thenuttyneutron

Re: How hot are you?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:42 »
I see 120 on the turbine deck at my plant in the summer when the roof vents are closed. 

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2009, 02:27 »
 >:( Turbine building ventilation was off here at Fermi 2 it was 105 on OP deck and 125 on man lift in overhead. Seen it so hot and humid it actual starts to rain from the ceiling on the refuel deck and fog comes over the spent fuel pool :'( Have been at Oconee on Turbine deck in summer you dread leaving the air in the kelly building :D It's so hot you can do some crotch pot cooking!!! :P
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2009, 02:35 by rocknrollrick »
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2009, 04:24 »
At VY, TB deck has been measured at 112-115 in July/ August. More importantly, the WBGT is well over 95. When that happens, we contact the Work Week Manager, and SM, and restrict work except for Ops Rounds. I've recommended to AOs during those times to either use the buddy system, or let the CR know when they go up and come down. Heat stress.....not fun.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:44 »
Whatever the outside temperature happens to be that day.  Could be in the low 100's in the hottest part of summer.

Harris' turbine is an open deck.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:51 »
Whatever the outside temperature happens to be that day.  Could be in the low 100's in the hottest part of summer.

Harris' turbine is an open deck.

You beat me to it. Same here at Turkey Point. Also true at Salem unless things have changed in the last 20 years.

I never have figured out why it was considered a good idea, though. Seems that it would cause more problems than it solves... particularly at Salem where you have the added joy of freezing in the winter. But that is another topic.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2009, 12:35 »
Some utilities have open turbine decks to save a buck or two on initial construction.

Downside: Faster failures of NSSS components, vacuum leaks, etc.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2009, 06:42 »
Also if the building is open it's not considered a building for Tax Purposes. Harris went that route for that reason.

Fermi steam tunnels could get as high as 195F. The Turbine deck was around 105 or so, the worst conditions I ever saw there was on the LP Turbine Stop Valve Platforms, 135F. I know because I volunteered to go there for an alarm.

As a rule BWRs are higher temperatures because the turb ine buildings are closed.

At SQN  I believe I've seen as high as 110 on the turbine deck though in my view the TB Basement is a LOT worse.

Mike

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:15 »
Lets see. The turbin deck here at Humboldt reached a balmy 60 degrees with a 60% chance of rain today. Then again, it's seized up with rust, sitting half outside and hasn't run in over 30 years.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

BB1980

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:41 »
As a rule BWRs are higher temperatures because the turb ine buildings are closed.

Oconee is a PWR with closed turbine building (Supposedly with exhaust fans), but again, with three units turbines in one building, thats 2700MW worth of heat.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:47 »
Oconee is a PWR with closed turbine building (Supposedly with exhaust fans), but again, with three units turbines in one building, thats 2700MW worth of heat.

-5 GCE
-5 unit analysis

On the retest, consider the heat felt by the human is the "losses to ambient" term, not the "trons going down the bus bars" value.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:14 »

Wow so Oconee wastes 2700MW, maybe they should install insulation.
You failed.

Mike

JavaJoe

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:22 »
You haven't lived until your sitting on the crapper outside Unit 3 at Oconee and the unit trips off line.  Water splashing, ceiling tiles flying.  Ahh the good life  :-[

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:43 »
You haven't lived until your sitting on the crapper outside Unit 3 at Oconee and the unit trips off line.  Water splashing, ceiling tiles flying.  Ahh the good life  :-[

adds new meaning to the term "Atmospheric DUMP Valve"  :P

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:56 »
I remember way back when I was a young Fermi RO and the Portapotty they had set up just north of the Radwaste Building was blown over by higher than normal winds when an SRO was in it. Ah good times!

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2009, 10:09 »

Fermi steam tunnels could get as high as 195F. The Turbine deck was around 105 or so, the worst conditions I ever saw there was on the LP Turbine Stop Valve Platforms, 135F. I know because I volunteered to go there for an alarm.

Done both, gotta agree... BWR steam tunnel and HPCI pump room, words don't describe properly  >:(

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2009, 11:08 »
   Not to be out done but I entered a pressurizer dog house at power with Fermanite to fix a live steam leak. Brutal even with ice vests and air lines. Not much higher than the steam tunnel, but a couple higher at 200 degrees. I have covered Fermanite a few times at different plants and they must have the worst job in the plants.
   Back to the original post I have not experienced the heat of Oconee or other Southern plants at power but I have been on the rail of the San Onofre Turbine deck with binoculars  ;D the turbine deck was not close to as "hot" as the beach.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2009, 08:39 »
   Not to be out done but I entered a pressurizer dog house at power with Fermanite to fix a live steam leak. Brutal even with ice vests and air lines. Not much higher than the steam tunnel, but a couple higher at 200 degrees. I have covered Fermanite a few times at different plants and they must have the worst job in the plants.
   Back to the original post I have not experienced the heat of Oconee or other Southern plants at power but I have been on the rail of the San Onofre Turbine deck with binoculars  ;D the turbine deck was not close to as "hot" as the beach.

I did the Pressurizer-at-power-with-steam-leak entry back in 1977 at Salem... 139 F wet bulb. No ice vests, full-face filter respirators, full PCs and plastics. Will never forget it. Would have killed somebody to get out after about 15 minutes. Melted my glove on a pipe when I grabbed what I thought was a ladder rung. Not very high on my list to do again.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

BB1980

« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2009, 04:24 »
Yeah, I didn't mean it like it got typed.  We are making 2700MW electric, not 2700MW of "felt heat".  I thought you would know what I meant, without having to be the peanut gallery......  ;)

The ambient losses associated with having 2700MW of steam spinning the ol' electric merry-go-rounds under one roof.

It was 112 last night at 4am.

Even on the 3rd floor under the turbines is nice, especially when you have to wear the arc flash suits to rack in/out the 6900V, 4160V and 600V breakers.

More power to you guys who've done the +130 jobs.  Its like a 2x4 hitting you in the chest when you step into 120 trying to breathe.

The closest to that I've probably been, is in fire brigade training, sitting through 17 flashovers in a flashover simulator at Gaston College in firemans gear on air packs.  You had to sit straight up without tightening your coat/pants to much by bending arms/legs or it would start burning through the material.  I was OK until my SCBA air started getting hot.  The instructor in the front bubbled his air mask from the heat.   Neat to watch, however.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2009, 04:26 by BB1980 »

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2009, 04:40 »
Yeah, I didn't mean it like it got typed.  We are making 2700MW electric, not 2700MW of "felt heat".  I thought you would know what I meant, without having to be the peanut gallery......  ;)

The ambient losses associated with having 2700MW of steam spinning the ol' electric merry-go-rounds under one roof.

It was 112 last night at 4am.

Even on the 3rd floor under the turbines is nice, especially when you have to wear the arc flash suits to rack in/out the 6900V, 4160V and 600V breakers.

More power to you guys who've done the +130 jobs.  Its like a 2x4 hitting you in the chest when you step into 120 trying to breathe.

The closest to that I've probably been, is in fire brigade training, sitting through 17 flashovers in a flashover simulator at Gaston College in firemans gear on air packs.  You had to sit straight up without tightening your coat/pants to much by bending arms/legs or it would start burning through the material.  I was OK until my SCBA air started getting hot.  The instructor in the front bubbled his air mask from the heat.   Neat to watch, however.
  Would "last night at 4am" really be "this morning at 4am"?
Call Before You Dig!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2009, 04:54 »

sorry, couldn't help myself;

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Never knew Marssim was a Lance Bass / N'Sync fan  ;)

Paul

« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2009, 11:51 »
West Steam Stop at DC Cook is usually 125F-130F.
Still better than being on the turbine crane with 120F and 99.9% humidity.

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Jun 15, 2009, 01:33 »
At BFN, our turbine floor has been between 95-110 since early spring. Having a tin roof, as the temps go up outside..... you know where this is going...

As for other areas, we did a 40% power leak inspection, silly me, went and got a pedicure before I went to work.... Then was sent in the low pressure heater rooms. When I got home, my socks were stuck to my toes where the nail polish had melted while I was in there. No more than 10 minutes per room. The next day when they did WBGTi readings, the WBGTi reading was a balmy 149 degrees. The dry bulb would register.

I love a paid weight loss program!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?