Career Path > Safety

Safety

<< < (17/18) > >>

OldHP:

--- Quote from: Sun Dog on Mar 17, 2011, 09:28 ---BBS is awesome in the sterile world of the classroom or in the rhetoric of those who profit most from it (DuPont) or in the minds of those who drink their kool-aid. 
--- End quote ---

I'll agree if the up-front training does not contain the right material to "tame the cowboys".  However, when the situation is presented "from the get go" most folks understand and will respond.  I've found that folks that once were cowboys will come to you and report or ask for assistance once they realize that it their well-being that you are concerned about.

Then again, there are those that are looking for STD!

Sun Dog:

--- Quote from: OldHP on Mar 17, 2011, 10:46 ---I'll agree if the up-front training does not contain the right material to "tame the cowboys".  However, when the situation is presented "from the get go" most folks understand and will respond.  I've found that folks that once were cowboys will come to you and report or ask for assistance once they realize that it their well-being that you are concerned about.

Then again, there are those that are looking for STD!

--- End quote ---

Perhaps.  In Shangri-La we would be given ample time and a huge budget and stand a chance at convincing 650 migrant workers that the program is in their best interest, and not just financially.

The reality is, in the outage world of commercial power, we hire several hundred people a few days before we expect them to be turning a wrench, herd them through a day or two of in-processing and CBT, upgrade a few to MM because they can read and write or are kin to the BA (with an extra buck or two an hour for their troubles), and turn them loose in the plant.  A few weeks later we lay two checks in their hand and ask them to come back in 18-months.  Some will.  Many will not.  

A significant challege is the lack of consistency between the programs, procedures, and government standards among the various sites, utilities, contractors, vendors, cities and states.  The risk is typically the same, the approach to dealing with the risk can be vastly different.  Heck, even at the same site the program may be significantly different just next month when the flavor changes.

If anyone has figured out how to successfully instill a sense of ownership and commitment to an Industrial Safety Program to a diverse group of employees that are on-site for 4 to 6 weeks every 18-months they better patent it today.

hrdwrkndgs:
Have talked to Bartlett several times about safety positions but they don't seem to have a lot in that field.  Anyone have any info on who specializes in placing safety personnel.  Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Already Gone:
Jackpot!
I happen to place Safety Professionals for my daily bread.
PM me and I'll give you an email address to send your resume.

Oh, BTW, I really would offer Sun Dog the same courtesy.  Actually, I already have.  His "sarcasm" on this thread turns out to be reverse sarcasm.  Just thought I'd clear that up.
Anybody else looking for some work in the near future?

This is the last time I am going to extend this offer.  Not because I want to cut off opportunities, but I'm getting dangerously close to crossing the line from networking into the unpaid advertising realm.  If I could talk my boss into letting me pay to post jobs here, I would do it.  But for now, I'm only asking for people who are interested to contact me.  Details will be discussed off the board. 

hrdwrkndgs:
PM Sent  I think?
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version