Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke MM getting out  

Author Topic: Nuke MM getting out  (Read 48013 times)

NukeWife

Nuke MM getting out
« on: Jun 11, 2009, 07:57 »
Hi,

I'm in need of some advice.  I've looked through the forums and saw similar questions but none close enough.  I do apologize if this has been asked already though.

I myself am not a nuke but my husband is and I'm helping him with his job search because his command pretty much sucks and gives him no time for anything.  He is on a carrier and will be done with his 6 years in just over a year.  When is a good time to start applying for jobs?  Will he be able to get a good job without a degree?  I'm getting a little scared now that we're getting to the end of his enlistment because we don't know where we'll be.  He did not star and doesn't plan on it, so that is not an option.  Honestly, we are both fed up with the navy and cannot wait to get out of this lifestyle.  I've been through it all....his school in SC and sea duty.  What is the best advice you can give us and how is the job outlook for an ex navy nuke with no degree?

Thanks in advance!

JustinHEMI05

Re: Nuke MM getting out
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2009, 08:12 »
Hmmm, it doesn't hurt to look now, but a lot of places won't look at you until you are 90 days from EAOS. >1 year out is defenitely too early to apply. I would start contacting people and floating resumes around 9 months out but at 90 days, start hitting it hard. Also, a 6 and out nuke with no degree is a perfect candidate for an NLO position in ops or as a maintenance tech. That is where I would start if he is interested in commercial nuclear power. Considering he has no degree and this economy, I would focus on finding an NLO job at a commercial plant if I were him.

Good luck.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2009, 08:15 by JustinHEMI »

NukeWife

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2009, 08:21 »
Hmmm, it doesn't hurt to look now, but a lot of places won't look at you until you are 90 days from EAOS. >1 year out is defenitely too early to apply. I would start contacting people and floating resumes around 9 months out but at 90 days, start hitting it hard. Also, a 6 and out nuke with no degree is a perfect candidate for an NLO position in ops or as a maintenance tech. That is where I would start if he is interested in commercial nuclear power. Considering he has no degree and this economy, I would focus on finding an NLO job at a commercial plant if I were him.

Good luck.

Justin

Thank you Justin!   Another thing I forgot to mention is that they may deploy his ship about 3 months before his terminal leave would start.  Therefore they would fly him off before the deployment is up, but how will this affect him getting a job?  My worry is that his command is not going to let him job search while deployed.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2009, 08:38 »
Well that can be a difficulty, for sure. He obviously needs to be able to go interview. There are people here that have had to deal with EAOS during a deployment so hopefully they will chime in. Hopefully, the command would support his needs, but he is the only one that can judge that likelyhood.

Justin

NukeWife

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2009, 09:00 »
Well that can be a difficulty, for sure. He obviously needs to be able to go interview. There are people here that have had to deal with EAOS during a deployment so hopefully they will chime in. Hopefully, the command would support his needs, but he is the only one that can judge that likelyhood.

Justin

See...that's what I was worried about.  Plus I know this command won't support it...they only care about trying to get him to stay in.    So basically we're screwed?   ::)    >:(

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2009, 09:04 »
See...that's what I was worried about.  Plus I know this command won't support it...they only care about trying to get him to stay in.    So basically we're screwed?   ::)    >:(
Naw, there are work arounds. Just gotta wait for the people that have had similar experiences to reply.

Good you are asking now!

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2009, 09:12 »

No, just facing more adversity than the average bear.

Do as Justin posted. Additionally, I'd recommend that hubby (if he isn't an ELT) , try to learn as much about radiological controls practices as he can. Big Blue  has been a blessing in finding work for recent Navy graduates!
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009, 09:20 by HydroDave63 »

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2009, 12:40 »
There is the JOBS section of this website, which is worth submitting a resume to and keeping an eye on.  You can even subscribe to be notified of job openings as they come up.

Also, it's never too "early" to put resumes out on Monster.com, HotJobs, etc.  They are free exposure, and you never know what may just pop up there.

Has your husband been to the TAP classes yet?  TAP is tremendously useful, and the earlier he goes, the better.  (BTW, you can attend some of the classes given during TAP alongside your husband.)

The Fleet & Family Services Center on base is a phenomenal wealth of information regarding getting-out-of-the-Navy stuff, and job-hunting in particular.

I don't know what your husband's specific interests are, but Justin is spot-on with his advice about looking for an NLO position.  There's a chance that he'll take a momentary pay cut initially as an NLO, but I guarantee that his earnings will far outstrip what he's pulling in right now within 12 months.

Contractor work is an option worth considering to bide some time if you can't find an NLO opening which coincides with your husband's EAOS.  Send a resume to Bartlett Nuclear next spring; once again, it's free so you've got nothing to lose.

And even if you husband is on the opposite side of the planet, phone interviews are still viable (as long as he's willing to work through the time zone differences).  He won't be able to 100% nail down an NLO job over the phone, but he'll still be able to communicate with interviewers and HR personnel while he's out on the carrier.

Keep your chin up, and keep us posted.

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2009, 09:02 »
Oh ya thanks for the reminder G-Reg. I can't reemphasize enough, he needs to get to TAPS asap.

Justin

BetaAnt

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2009, 04:14 »
Try South Carolina job bank www.scjoblink.org and look under Aiken county for the job search.

Good luck

BA 8) 8) 8)

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2009, 07:58 »
Your husband has several options.
He can start out in the commercial nuclear field as a contractor deconner and with time become an HP tech. Upside money is okay when working, but outages are short, travel is involved and medical insurance is expensive when he is not working.
He can go to work in a shipyard, civilian or military. They like people that are familiar with ships.

He can work as a non nuke in any utility in the US. Even at entry level he would be able to progress nicley. The utility I work at in New York City even gives tours to sailors during fleet week to get them interested in working.

Nuke jobs are not the only jobs out there, don't limit your options

IPREGEN

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2009, 08:49 »
 got to
http://www.careerbuilder.com/ and put in the keyword search "shipyard" cherck out those options and then you can serach again with "plant operator" again in the keyword search.

Good luck

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2009, 10:08 »
We are always looking for Nuke MMs.  IT is doing Boiler Inspections.  Drop me a PM with your info if you want to know more
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

mm1cabrera

« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2009, 08:17 »
I'm a 6YO (six year out guy). Listen, don't let them scare you. Nukes are in high demand, regardless of degree, time in, whatever. The main point is to start early, within the realm of 5 months. Hit up the major nuclear recruiting firms like Lucas Group, Orion international, Bradley-Morris. They can really help. I can't speak for the surface fleet, but in the sub force its very common for leave/ job hunting/ house hunting/ even terminal leave to be denied, ESPECIALLY for guys who don't reenlist. The main reason is because there's really no one to replace them, which I'm sure is not a problem in the surface fleet. Companies do phone interviews, and have other ways than face to face. Remember that as a 6YO you will most likely take a pay cut the first year, its just going to happen. You will be fine. Unless you are extremely tight on your budget and in debt, you can adjust. Once you prove yourself or qualify you will make more money. Remember that his command will try scare tactics and attempt to tell him that no one survives in the civilian world and everyone lives in a cardboard box. Its just not true, the economy is not that bad. The main point is that your are starting from the bottom again and have to prove yourself. If your husband works hard, he can make the same if not more money within the first year and a half or so. And don't forget about federal jobs! The shipyard(s) pay great and offer nearly the same benefits, and I want to say have about a 90% hire rate for ex military. Plus he'd be getting paid by the hour, imagine that! With overtime!  :) Good luck and remember there are people who aren't in the military who survive! It can be done, and with your husbands experience, it will be easy! Don't give up!

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2009, 09:07 »
Trust me, no utility does phone interviews for a T Baller.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2009, 02:51 »
I'm a 6YO (six year out guy). Listen, don't let them scare you. Nukes are in high demand, regardless of degree, time in, whatever. The main point is to start early, within the realm of 5 months. Hit up the major nuclear recruiting firms like Lucas Group, Orion international, Bradley-Morris. They can really help. I can't speak for the surface fleet, but in the sub force its very common for leave/ job hunting/ house hunting/ even terminal leave to be denied, ESPECIALLY for guys who don't reenlist. The main reason is because there's really no one to replace them, which I'm sure is not a problem in the surface fleet. Companies do phone interviews, and have other ways than face to face. Remember that as a 6YO you will most likely take a pay cut the first year, its just going to happen. You will be fine. Unless you are extremely tight on your budget and in debt, you can adjust. Once you prove yourself or qualify you will make more money. Remember that his command will try scare tactics and attempt to tell him that no one survives in the civilian world and everyone lives in a cardboard box. Its just not true, the economy is not that bad. The main point is that your are starting from the bottom again and have to prove yourself. If your husband works hard, he can make the same if not more money within the first year and a half or so. And don't forget about federal jobs! The shipyard(s) pay great and offer nearly the same benefits, and I want to say have about a 90% hire rate for ex military. Plus he'd be getting paid by the hour, imagine that! With overtime!  :) Good luck and remember there are people who aren't in the military who survive! It can be done, and with your husbands experience, it will be easy! Don't give up!

I read back through the thread and I failed to see where anyone was trying to scare him? There is a lot of good advice in this thread. Well, that was until your post came along.

Justin

Offline Jimmykroffa

• Light User
  • Nuclear Operator
« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2009, 07:12 »
Justin,

I think he was inferring that the E-7+'s at his command try to scare you into staying in. I experienced this when I was doing my "checkout" card when I got out in December from prototype duty..... I told them I didn't want to watch my kid grow up 6 months at a time. They didn't argue with that.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 08:04 by Jimmykroffa »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2009, 12:12 »
Ah, if that is the case, then I apologize.

Justin

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2009, 04:03 »
I’m honestly not trying to scare anyone into staying in the Navy but be prepared for stiff competition for jobs. The “Great Recession” as some are calling it is affecting everything even if companies are still hiring the number of applicants has increased and competition is stiff in some areas. Also take a real look at your current income and figure out what you will have to make, to have the same standard of living.

If your husband is only doing 6 and out then he probably will not be as hurt by the pay cut leaving the navy. Remember none of your pay is tax free out here and almost no company provides free health insurance anymore (say what you want about Tricare but it is free)

Also make sure you can get by on unemployment there are no garentees that he or you will find a job quickly in this market.

Like I said I’m not trying to scare you, just realize the starry eyed dreams most people have, that everything will be better out of the Navy might not be true.

IPREGEN

« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:20 »
in spite of the "great recession" people are still using electricity and it has to be made somewhere. That is why in economic downturns people turn to utility stocks. The jobs are still there

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:09 »
in spite of the "great recession" people are still using electricity and it has to be made somewhere. That is why in economic downturns people turn to utility stocks. The jobs are still there

Whether or not people are using electricity is beside the point. Sure that means the utilities are not laying people off left and right like manufacturing is. But the point is with unemployment numbers where they are there are more applicants for every job out there. I have ex-nuke friends who have lost their jobs in the realestate, mortgage, and automotive industry that are now looking for commercial power work.

A year ago all the guys I knew that wanted nuke jobs got them, now I know others who are struggling to even get an interview with a plant.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2009, 01:43 »
table 2.2.  Existing Capacity by Energy Source, 2007
(Megawatts)
Energy Source    Number of Generators    Generator Nameplate Capacity    Net Summer Capacity    Net Winter Capacity
Coal[1]            1,470                    336,040                                    312,738                    314,944
Petroleum[2]    3,743                    62,394                                    56,068                    60,528
Natural Gas[3]    5,439                    449,389                                    392,876                    422,184
Other Gases[4]    105                            2,663                                    2,313                    2,292
Nuclear            104                            105,764                                    100,266                    101,765
Hydroelectric
Conventional[5]    3,992                    77,644                                    77,885                    77,369
Wind                    389                            16,596                                    16,515                    16,541
Solar Thermal
and Photovoltaic    38                            503                                            502                            422
Wood and Wood
Derived Fuels[6]    346                            7,510                                    6,704                    6,745
Geothermal        224                            3,233                                    2,214                    2,362
Other Biomass[7] 1,299                    4,834                                    4,134                    4,214
Pumped Storage    151                            20,355                                    21,886                    21,799
Other[8]            42                            866                                            788                            814
Total            17,342                    1,087,791                                     994,888                     1,031,978
Another 314 planned new generators less 211 planned retirements nets 103 additional.  Along with revisions and updates this increases the total nameplate capacity by an additional 12,000MW

EPACT2005 Tax Credits Are Expected To Stimulate Some Nuclear Builds

In the AEO2009 reference case, nuclear power capacity increases from 100.5 gigawatts in 2007 to 112.6 gigawatts in 2030, including 3.4 gigawatts of expansion at existing plants, 13.1 gigawatts of new capacity, and 4.4 gigawatts of retirements. The reference case includes a second unit in 2014 at the Watts Bar site, where construction was halted in 1988 after being partially completed. Rising costs for construction materials have greatly increased the estimated cost of new nuclear plants, which when combined with the current instability of financial markets makes new investments in nuclear power uncertain. In the reference case, some 10 new nuclear power plants are completed through 2030. The first few are eligible for the EPACT2005 PTC. Most existing nuclear units continue to operate through 2030, based on the assumption that they will apply for and receive operating license renewals. Seven units, totaling 4.4 gigawatts, are retired after 2028, when they reach the end date of their original licenses plus a 20-year renewal.

In the AEO2009 projections, nuclear capacity additions vary with assumptions about overall demand for electricity and the prices of other fuels (Figure 59). The amount of nuclear capacity added also is sensitive to assumptions about future plans and policies for limiting or reducing GHG emissions. Across the oil price and economic growth cases, nuclear capacity additions from 2007 to 2030 range from 1 to 28 gigawatts. In the low economic growth case, with falling electricity demand and rising interest rates, new nuclear plants are not economical. More new nuclear capacity is built in the high growth and high oil price cases, because overall capacity requirements are higher and/or alternatives are more expensive. 

Lots of places to work.  Widen the scope of your job search a little and you find that the energy sector is just getting bigger all the time.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2009, 11:56 »
ex-nuke friends who have lost their jobs in the realestate, mortgage, ....  that are now looking for commercial power work.

The easiest place to find a job is in the same type of position in the same industry.  Changing type of position or changing industries makes the job search more difficult.  Finally, changing type of position and industry at the same time is the most difficult.

It is important to find your calling and go after it.  Do you enjoy maintenance? operations? travel? shiftwork?  Don't chase the job everyone else is chasing.  Choose a career that makes you and your family happy.  Do this, and a company will be glad to have you.

Dave
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

NukeWife

« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:58 »
Hey everyone,

I'm back.  I know that some of you wanted me to keep you all updated.  Hubby is now less than year from terminal leave.  We are getting excited and counting the days!   I just have this deep seated fear that they won't let him off the carrier or they will extend the contract.  He will be deployed for about 4 months til they have to fly him off the ship for terminal.  I'm so afraid this won't happen.   Anyway, we are very interested in River Bend near Baton Rouge and also TVA in Tennessee.  We also would not mind living in Montana or Colorado....but I haven't heard of any Nuke jobs there.

Thank you to all the replies I received!  We really appreciate it.  He is taking TAPS asap and will also be QA qualified this year.  Also.....he made E-5 in December without ever having to sign any papers....HA!.....imagine that!    ;D  He is also now work center soop (sorry about the spelling).

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:39 »
Thanks for the update! +K for "soop."  :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?