Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hiring qualifications for an AO

Author Topic: Hiring qualifications for an AO  (Read 4576 times)

Guitar Salad

Hiring qualifications for an AO
« on: Jun 12, 2009, 02:16 »
Hi all.  I stumbled upon this site searching for AO openings on the internet.  I've read a few of the topics here and found a good amount of useful information.  I wanted to run something past all of you with more industry knowledge than myself to see if you had any suggestions.  I apologize if starting a new thread creates more clutter on the board.  I was just hoping to make the message more noticable.

My background:

BS in Business Administration - 2005
I began college with the intent to earn an engineering degree but didn't like the coursework.  I still completed the first year and therefore have two semesters of chemistry (one with lab), two semesters of calculus and a semester of physics.
My work experience mostly related to customer service, but I hate doing that sort of thing.
I am very interested in operations.  At a former employer I became intrigued by that side of the business, but I left the company to move back to Arizona prior to being able to move into operations because I didn't like living in California.

My problem:

I've twice interviewed for an AO position locally (Palo Verde) with no success.  My uncle (who turned me onto the idea of working as an AO and did so there himself) tells me that he feels that my lack of a technical degree is the major hang up in the company's willingness to hire me.

My questions:

What, in your experience, is the interest of any company in someone like myself who does not have a technical degree but the desire to work as an AO?  Though I don't particularly want to leave my home state, I have passed the POSS test.  Would a passing score on the test open any doors for me, and are there any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Hiring qualifications for an AO
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2009, 04:53 »
Although your degree is non-technical, having a technical degree with no previous operational experience wouldn't be much better. One of the best and smartest AO's (now licensed) that I ever met had a degree in Ag Mgmt. , but what made him interesting enough to hire was strong mechanical aptitude in welding and working on his equipment.

Without having operated or worked in anything remotely equivalent to a 600# steam system is a serious disadvantage. Do you desire an AO spot because it was open at the time, or finely focused on a license at a PWR, or simply to get a stable gainful position at a solid company?

There are several power companies in AZ that hire a wide range of career fields. One way to get into this industry from a different angle would be at a gas or coal plant. SRP, for example, has an entry level chemist and an entry level O&M Tech. position open until this afternoon. Both would be a fine way to see if a power plant is really where you want to work.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009, 04:55 by HydroDave63 »

Guitar Salad

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2009, 11:55 »
Thanks HydroDave,

I was able to apply for the entry level chemist position today.  The other is open a little while longer, so I'll probably apply for that in the next couple days.  Here's to hoping everything that I listed in my resume will get me noticed in my application.  (It seems difficult to get past HR people these days.)

To answer your question, the first time the opening for the AO position was available was convenient timing for me.  I was looking for work having just left my previous job, and my uncle suggested it to me.  It was appealing for a few reasons: it's in Arizona, it's in an industry that is very stable, and the pay was very good.  It's amazing how little pay is in starting jobs for individuals with degrees.  Right now my degree is getting me 32,500 with virtually no upward mobility without a master's degree.  (This is the main reason I'm looking for a new job.)

It feels like a challenge now.  They've felt that I was worthy of an interview twice (which takes a lot of time on their part), and neither time was I offered a position.  There's obviously something there if I'm good enough to be interviewed twice.  This process has increased my interest in the industry and hopefully I can find some experience in it in some way shape or form.

Do you have any suggestions on where to look for other industry openings in my area?  I also won't rule out going out of state, though I'd rather not.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2009, 12:04 by Guitar Salad »

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2009, 10:29 »
There's obviously something there if I'm good enough to be interviewed twice.

Two interviews without a job offer leads me to wonder if your interview skills are as good as your resume.  Obviously I wasn't at either interview so I don't know anything for sure, but simply based on the pattern it may be worthwhile to do a re-evaluation of your interview answers and techniques.

Of course, it could just be that I have no idea what I'm talking about...
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?