Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What are my odds?

Author Topic: What are my odds?  (Read 5121 times)

iggycrackle

What are my odds?
« on: Jun 16, 2009, 12:23 »
I will commission through the NROTC program at a Top 5 public university this Spring (2010) with about a 3.3 gpa with a liberal arts major.  I also am writing an honors thesis about Russian Nuclear policy.  Straight B's in calculus and physics.  What are my odds at surface nuke- either right off the bat or transferring in while still an Ensign.  Is the latter even feasible. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: What are my odds?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2009, 02:56 »
  I also am writing an honors thesis about Russian Nuclear policy. 

First Use doctrine, or power generation / new construction via Atomenergomash? Enquiring minds wanna know...  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2009, 02:57 by HydroDave63 »

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2009, 08:56 »
HydroDave's Posts are HILARIOUS!!!

For the record.. I would write the "Doctrine" on American Nuke (But thats just me)

Because, It is the GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH... US of A (As Honey Comb would say!  8) )

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2009, 09:03 »
To iggycrackle:

Given that you are a liberal arts major... Did you always want to be a Nuke? or Is this something you considered recently? Given Only your GPA and grades, your chances are Ok to Good. Depends on how you perform in the interviews. Transferring in ( I imagine you mean going SWO first and then becoming a SWO Nuke) is very difficult, as the SWO community will not want to let you go. Only reason I know is that, I have been in touch with a recruiter about career options for a SWO and this is what he advised. About your chances, one of my school mates is in the same situation, so I can generally speak about the matter, since I know a little bit about his situation. A Technical major with 3.3 GPA will make you competitive, Liberal arts might make it difficult, as you will be competing among Pure technical, Science and Engineering majors. NR may be inclined to take them because they already have 4-5 years of academic training compared to you. This doesn't mean you can not apply, but your chances might suffer (MIGHT, depends heavily on your interviews). I have talked to several officers who were History, English majors etc...
Hope this helps. Thanks.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2009, 09:46 »
To iggycrackle:

Given that you are a liberal arts major... Did you always want to be a Nuke? or Is this something you considered recently? Given Only your GPA and grades, your chances are Ok to Good. Depends on how you perform in the interviews. Transferring in ( I imagine you mean going SWO first and then becoming a SWO Nuke) is very difficult, as the SWO community will not want to let you go. Only reason I know is that, I have been in touch with a recruiter about career options for a SWO and this is what he advised. About your chances, one of my school mates is in the same situation, so I can generally speak about the matter, since I know a little bit about his situation. A Technical major with 3.3 GPA will make you competitive, Liberal arts might make it difficult, as you will be competing among Pure technical, Science and Engineering majors. NR may be inclined to take them because they already have 4-5 years of academic training compared to you. This doesn't mean you can not apply, but your chances might suffer (MIGHT, depends heavily on your interviews). I have talked to several officers who were History, English majors etc...
Hope this helps. Thanks.

So far as I know you are not a nuke yet, so how would you know?

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2009, 09:56 »
Yes. I am not a nuke yet. But I have been talking to a LOT of people. Just waiting for an Interview date from NR. I just know some information from going on the trip, where group of 20 people presented their diverse situations and I was paying attention on the information. There were 3 Nuke officers there, I have kept in touch with CDR at Millington, TN and 2 Nuke Officer Recruiters, so I imagine they have a wealth of information. I am simply repeating what they advised me and other potential candidates, some of them who were Liberal Arts majors with Calc and Physics under their belt. Not an expert, but was present at the discussion.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2009, 01:26 »
Don't mind BZ - he thinks he's Chuck Norris... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2009, 01:51 »
Will do, Sir.

1)  If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you. 
2)  There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control. 
3)  Apple pays Chuck Norris 99 cents every time he listens to a song. 
4)  Chuck Norris can sneeze with his eyes open. 
5)  Chuck Norris can eat just one Lay's potato chip. 
6)  Chuck Norris is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you. 
7)  Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise. 
8)  Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird. 

Don't mind BZ - he thinks he's Chuck Norris... ;)

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:51 »
So far as I know you are not a nuke yet, so how would you know?

I've never been a Nuke Officer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...   :P
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2009, 04:56 »
What are my odds

This one looks okay... I'll wager 100 quatloos FOR the newcomer!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?