Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu XFER to NPTU Charleston or Ballston Spa honeypot

Author Topic: XFER to NPTU Charleston or Ballston Spa  (Read 12151 times)

SKopr8r

XFER to NPTU Charleston or Ballston Spa
« on: Jun 20, 2009, 09:41 »
Been out on a carrier for ~4 yrs, want to transfer to shore. Current plans are to get degree while I'm on shore duty, and see where the world takes me after my tour. Not sure on getting out or staying in, and I don't want to burn any bridges, what I do want to do is get the most out of my shore tour. Been onboard the Big E for almost 4 yrs, qual'd SIR (I'm an ET), currently in PPWS quals and RT quals, plan on xfring in the fall/winter, somewhere btw November and February. For any of those out there who have been to either NPTU, I'd like a little feedback, and maybe recommendations as to which one would best suit me. Thanks

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
Re: XFER to NPTU Charleston or Ballston Spa
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2009, 06:04 »
I would take Charleston SC if I were you. I spent 3 long years in NY as a SPU and hated every minute of it. I hear things up in that neck of the woods are even worse now. My advice to you is to drop your RT quals and push as hard as you can to qualify PPWS. RT quals do not mean squat as far as shaping your career inside or outside the Navy,,,PPWS does so get er done. If you have served on the Big E for 4 years you know me. PM me for some more advice if you want.
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2009, 07:44 »
Ballston Spa is nice in the summer. Skidmore college for major league babes with families that have money is there, although they won't talk to you. I went up to Montreal and Vermont. Very nice. In the winter, unless you are into drinking and winter sports, there isn't much to do. Charleston is nice when it is above water. Hurricane season can cause concern, and SC is still working on the evacuation thing when they open up all lanes of I-26 going out of town. Once outside of Charleston, you are "not from around here." Monck's Corner was hell on sailors. Now if I had the choice, all things equal with family etc. I would go south.
No one gets out alive.

NHOY

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2009, 07:19 »
I would finish up PPWS, then stay on the E for another year while you try to get an LPO billet.  After you have PPWS and LPO go to NPPTC to be either an A or PWR school inst.  That is the best shore duty and will definitely be worth the extra year on the ship.  You also will have all of the prerequesites for Chief if you choose to stay in and have tons of time off to get a degree.  There are instructors that earn 2 degrees in their tours there.  Whatever you do plan for both staying in and getting out.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:07 »
I can say that if it was me, I would follow the advice of NHOY and avoid NPTU like the plague.  Aside from the great friends I made, it was some of the worst 3 years of my life.  You will have a very hard time finding time to work on a degree while you are at either one.  If you truly have your heart set on leaving for a NPTU shore duty, you have to weigh your poison.  NY has had some operational problems and are under the microscope with NRRO(from what I hear).  SC is also having some problems with recent inspections from what I hear and they also have significantly increased the student load on the staff.  This has increased the hours that staff have to work by quite a bit.  As far as location, SC is hot during the summer and NY is cold during the winter.  Lots to do in SC, not sure about NY.  That is my two cents.  If you have any more questions about specifics(from what I know), PM me.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2009, 09:24 »
I'm goin with NHOY....get your PPWS and finish at least 48 months on the ship!  Then come on down to NNPTC.  You'll have much more opportunity for education.  And getting the PPWS will definitely help you if you decide to get out.  Good luck!

cricketstclair

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2009, 01:22 »
I'm currently working at NPTU Ballston Spa. There was a degree program through RPI that was fantastic and had a campus about 20 min from site with professors that worked with the weird rotating shift schedules, but this is the last year it is offered and it's only available for those people who are finishing up their degree.
The other option for degrees is online, but you can do that at either site.
My husband was stationed at the MTS prototype and I remember that people went to Trident Tech and College of Charleston to get their degrees, but that was almost 6 years ago.
One of the guys on my crew is off the E just recently. He seems to like it here in NY so far.
I don't know how much I am allowed to tell you about plant schedules, so I won't. But if you want to email me, you can. I'm on aol with this screen name too.

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:03 »
Depends on what you like to do for fun.  I thought SC would be better for riding my motorcycle because the shorter and less severe winters, but the roads down here are flat and straight.  :(

You can't win.  You'll wish you had gone the other way no matter what.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

bigjer25

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2009, 11:48 »
Ok, If a degree is your priority, go to Balston Spa and do the RPI degree.  It is a top 25 Engineering school, and you WILL work your ass off, but it will hook you up the rest of your life.  I am a prior enlisted nuke that was in your shoes.  Stay away from the Thomas Edison degree!!  No one in the "real world" takes that degree seriously, yes they know how easy it is to get, once again if you are serious, go the RPI route.  I dont know of any decent degree that could be gotten in Charleston.  I got my degree in a similair fashion, did the officer route.  I thought I was going to be medically dishcarged so I interviewed at 6 nuke plants, and got offers form all for 100-150K.  You will not get that opportunity without a degree.  Sooner or later you will realize that you work to hard to get paid what you do.  If you are interested you could apply for STA-21 also, and just let the retirement clock tick away while at college.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2009, 12:38 »
Ok, If a degree is your priority, go to Balston Spa and do the RPI degree.  It is a top 25 Engineering school, and you WILL work your ass off, but it will hook you up the rest of your life.  I am a prior enlisted nuke that was in your shoes.  Stay away from the Thomas Edison degree!!  No one in the "real world" takes that degree seriously, yes they know how easy it is to get, once again if you are serious, go the RPI route.  I dont know of any decent degree that could be gotten in Charleston.  I got my degree in a similair fashion, did the officer route.  I thought I was going to be medically dishcarged so I interviewed at 6 nuke plants, and got offers form all for 100-150K.  You will not get that opportunity without a degree.  Sooner or later you will realize that you work to hard to get paid what you do.  If you are interested you could apply for STA-21 also, and just let the retirement clock tick away while at college.

Interesting. My plant manager has the TE degree and um, you don't need a degree to get an offer like that. ;) Perhaps YOU did.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2009, 08:28 »
This is plain ignorant.  "No one takes the TESC degree (or any like it) seriously?"  Really!  I guess that would make all degree's useless because they don't come from MIT or something ... right?  Including yours as I understand your post.

An education is what you make of it.  Period.

And, for the record, most of the IVY LEAGUE schools are not even 'accredited' so I guess they aren't worth the paper they are written on huh?

As for me, before I had my degree, I was offered some very good jobs in industry's that tend to lean toward only hiring those that had one.  Funny how that happened.  In the end I earned a degree from Excelsior College (former Regents).  No one has told me it is not a real degree.  Or told me it didn't qualify as a real degree.

You can complain and make it sound like only a degree from xyz is accepted or appropriate but the fact is that a degree from "Joe's Pub on 29th street" is just as good as yours. 

(*sound of me getting off my soap box*)

And all hands in the pews said......AMEN!
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?