Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Piketon  

Author Topic: Piketon  (Read 5882 times)

timtim_00

Piketon
« on: Jun 24, 2009, 02:12 »
Hello.  I'm a Navy EM Nuke with about 3 years left.  I hear all of the stories about guys who don't plan for when they get out and are forced to re-enlist so I'm trying to make sure I understand everything I can about the commercial Nuclear world.  My ultimate goal is to one day become SRO and make a good income to provide for my family, and hopefully work close to my hometown to provide for my parents.  The closest nuclear area near my hometown is Piketon, OH.  I know that they have a Uranium Enrichment plant at the moment and have just announced that they will have a Nuclear Power Plant built in about 10 Years.  My question is.. If I were to get a job a the Uranium Enrichment plant until the Nuclear Plant is built, will I be able to still do the NLO -> RO -> SRO at the new plant?  Do you lose any required credentials after so many years of not working in a Nuclear Plant?  And also, since they say they wont start building the plant for another 4 years, are there any decent jobs to apply for during the construction of a Nuclear plant that would let you become NLO or maybe even SRO once it became operational?

And one more side question.  I know there is a plant in Toledo, OH as well but the license will expire in 2016.  Does this mean the plant will shut down for sure or will the license probably get renewed?

Sorry for all my nub questions.  Thanks for any feedback.

-Tim

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Piketon
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:57 »
   I have heard rumors of expansion in Piketon, an intent to build a Nuclear plant was just announced but there is a possibility of reprocessing as well in the future. This will not be done in time for you but there is other work there operational and remediation.

UPDATE: 6/18
PIKETON, Ohio (WSAZ) -- Plans were formally announced Thursday morning for construction of a multi-billion dollar nuclear power plant in Pike County, Ohio.

The announcement was made at the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant near Piketon, Ohio. That's the site of a former uranium enrichment plant.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland says the project involving Duke Energy and a French energy company -- Areva -- is "a new and visionary partnership."

The plant will employ 400-700 permanent workers.

Between 1400 and 1800 people will be needed to build the facility; with a peak of 3,000 construction jobs.

http://www.wsaz.com/dollarsandsense/headlines/48245957.html

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2009, 05:12 »
Hello.  I'm a Navy EM Nuke with about 3 years left.  I hear all of the stories about guys who don't plan for when they get out and are forced to re-enlist so I'm trying to make sure I understand everything I can about the commercial Nuclear world.  My ultimate goal is to one day become SRO and make a good income to provide for my family, and hopefully work close to my hometown to provide for my parents.  The closest nuclear area near my hometown is Piketon, OH.  I know that they have a Uranium Enrichment plant at the moment and have just announced that they will have a Nuclear Power Plant built in about 10 Years.  My question is.. If I were to get a job a the Uranium Enrichment plant until the Nuclear Plant is built, will I be able to still do the NLO -> RO -> SRO at the new plant?  Do you lose any required credentials after so many years of not working in a Nuclear Plant?  And also, since they say they wont start building the plant for another 4 years, are there any decent jobs to apply for during the construction of a Nuclear plant that would let you become NLO or maybe even SRO once it became operational?

And one more side question.  I know there is a plant in Toledo, OH as well but the license will expire in 2016.  Does this mean the plant will shut down for sure or will the license probably get renewed?

Sorry for all my nub questions.  Thanks for any feedback.

-Tim

I would not worry about the "Plant in Toledo".  It is called Davis Besse and they are in the process of getting a 20 year extension.

co60slr

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2009, 08:09 »
My ultimate goal is to one day become SRO and make a good income to provide for my family, and hopefully work close to my hometown to provide for my parents.  The closest nuclear area near my hometown is Piketon, OH.  I know that they have a Uranium Enrichment plant at the moment and have just announced that they will have a Nuclear Power Plant built in about 10 Years.  My question is.. If I were to get a job a the Uranium Enrichment plant until the Nuclear Plant is built, will I be able to still do the NLO -> RO -> SRO at the new plant?  Do you lose any required credentials after so many years of not working in a Nuclear Plant?  And also, since they say they wont start building the plant for another 4 years, are there any decent jobs to apply for during the construction of a Nuclear plant that would let you become NLO or maybe even SRO once it became operational?

There's a lot of growth expansion going on at USEC (especially those of you out there with DOE Q clearances and project management experience) as they prepare to provide low enriched U235 to the expanding commercial nuclear industry.  Seems to be a great venture for anyone willing to live in Piketon, OH (i.e., very rural).

Working at USEC (DOE Contract) versus Commercial Nuclear is not really a good comparison.  One is basically a chemical processing plant with a vast array of safety controls and the other makes electricity with even more safety controls.   If you want to live in Piketon, OH then USEC is definitely a good industry get into (what other choices does a nuclear professional have in that area?).  However, I wouldn't write a 10 year career plan in stone in hopes of transferring to a nearby new construction nuke plant that hasn't broken ground yet.

I would be more concerned about picking one path and "going for it".  Go get your SRO License anywhere and then make you way back home to Piketon, OH if all works out.  Otherwise, you're stuck in Piketon, OH, which only you can answer if that's a good or bad thing.

Most importantly EM1...don't leave the Navy without a technical degree if you're truly looking for post-Navy nuclear employment.  "Get er done" now and you'll have doors opening for you down the road.

Good luck.

Co60   

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?