Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I have decided to join...but afraid I won't be able to... honeypot

Author Topic: I have decided to join...but afraid I won't be able to...  (Read 2014 times)

bdubya

Hi, I am new to this board (posting wise)...but I have been reading it for a couple weeks, and alot of things have decided to help me with my decision to join. I have not yet done so. After reading a couple posts...I'm afraid that I may not be able to. Here is my situation: I am 27, married w/ 2 children. My wife and I got laid off from the same job about 5 months ago and haven't been able to find suitable work, and have been living off of unemployment.  That's when I started researching other options...the military.  My biggest concern is my credit...it is not very good at all. And I really would be distraught if that was a determining factor if I could or could not join. I guess I'm just a little confused about that at this point.  The recruiter I have been talking to is out until the middle of July.  I really don't have anything else that would be against me. My asvab score wasn't what I would consider very good at all...it was a 69 (but my recruiter seems to think that I shouldn't have any trouble getting a job that I would want). The job I think I'm most interested in is Construction Mechanic. Any information anybody could help me out with would be GREAT.  I've just been a little down since reading about the financial things.

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
Re: I have decided to join...but afraid I won't be able to...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2009, 06:40 »
   Not sure what your debt status is but, speaking from personal experience, I know that they can get you a waiver for your age; I was 27 when I joined. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING until you get what you are looking for. If you want to be a Nuke, and the recruiter is saying that it's easier to transfer you to Nuke after you sign up as a (fill in the blank); it's a lie! It's easier to get what you want if you give them nothing but what you are willing to give. You aren't playing hard-ball, you're just being honest about what is acceptable. Now if you don't mind being signed up as a (fill in the blank) then, by all means, sign on the dotted line.
   69 is a rough score to work with. At least it was when I was going through. The lowest score I'd ever heard of getting into the program was a 68, but that guy blew the doors off of the Nuke placement test (it's a secondary test that focuses on Math, Physics, and all other Nukie necessities.) That being said, it is possible. It is also possible to take the ASVAB again. You can take it a certain number of times per certain time period; I forget the specifics. You may have an altruistic recruiter that will tell you all of this, but most recruiters I've heard of didn't fit this bill. (I never had to deal with it personally, because I was rushed through the process when I joined shortly after 9/11.)
   Point being, agree only to what you would be happy with. When and if you get accepted, be ready to work harder than you ever have before. Being smart doesn't guarantee success in the Navy, hard work does.
   Good luck, and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 09:17 by bradley535 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?