Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Making Chief honeypot

Author Topic: Making Chief  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
Making Chief
« on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:06 »
Anyone ever feel like they weren't ready to make chief when they did?  That is, didn't know enough (BZ need not apply) about what it takes to run division?  It's one thing to have a good nuclear LOK and stand a good watch, but there's a lot to running a division that a second class is oblivious to that he may now be responsible for as the LCPO.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Fermi2

Re: Making Chief
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2009, 09:32 »
Anyone ever feel like they weren't ready to make chief when they did?  That is, didn't know enough (BZ need not apply) about what it takes to run division?  It's one thing to have a good nuclear LOK and stand a good watch, but there's a lot to running a division that a second class is oblivious to that he may now be responsible for as the LCPO.

I can answer that, I think your real question is do you feel you weren't ready to be in the position of the food chain when you weren't only a supervisor, you were the management rep too. My opinion is no one feels they are truly ready I know I wasn't certain I was entirely ready when I became a Reactor Operator, then a Unit Supervisor then a Shift Manager, In every case I was the junior guy promoted and when I went from Unit Supervisor to Shift Manager I was going from a position where I never needed to put any thought into Management to a position where I had to discuss my decisions with Senior VPs and erven a CEO from time to time, this with only 15 months experience as a US. Yeah I was nervous and going into it I had thoughts about am I really ready? Subsequent events proved I was and yes I had errors in judgement especially in my early days as an SM. The bottom line is are you willing to listen? Are you willing to make a decision even if it's not the popular one and are you eloquent or well spoken enough to explain yourself to those who are ultimately in charge? If so you'll do ok. Also and this is a BIG also, as a chief or manager you are responsible for the performance of your department BUT you are responsible to the entire community of departments for how your department affects them. If in making M Div 1% better you've made your boat or plant 5% worse then you've failed as a manager. Never set off a sine wave or bow wave of action simply because it causes you instant gratification or gets a monkey temporarily off your back and you'll be ok.

Mike

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Making Chief
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2009, 11:05 »

When I made Chief in 1991 I did not even know the results were coming out.  It was a big shock.  It was even a bigger shock 2 years later when I arrived on my boat as the E-Div Chief while the ship was deployed.  I knew I wasn't in Kansas any more when we had a shore power casualty and the CO, XO, and ENG walked off the boat to hit the beach in Singapore.  The Eng showed some concern when the CO said, "Don't worry Eng, Chief Murray will handle it".  I'd been the E-DIV Chief for about two days and those guys didn't know me from Job.  I hadn't even finished my check-in yet.  I did handle the situation and through determination and hard work go on to a successful tour as E-LCPO. 
-Derek 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?