Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Made a BOO BOO

Author Topic: Made a BOO BOO  (Read 7782 times)

frenchyjr

Made a BOO BOO
« on: Mar 27, 2004, 01:51 »
 :'(

Finally got into the nuke industry with Atlantic Group at the Calvert Cliffs shutdown (expensive there!!) On the first day (mind you this was my first job in the industry) during orientation I recieved a call on my cell phone that my wife was in the emergency room and I freaked out and left the plant and flew back to WI. Ok not too bad so far ( and now my wife is out of the hospital). The bad part is that I didn't tell anyone at the plant I was leaving and I freaked out and just left. I called my recruiter at AG and he chewed me a new hole in my bottom and hung up on me. Not good!! Now I am out of work and he won't return my calls and I think I just screwed myself royaly in the industry. So what do you guys and gals think I should do, I am desperatly in need of the work and have to find something here even if I could go back to Calvert for Bartlett or Ames, my craft was only a laborer and I can do just about anything if they would let me (lol). But I jsut wanted to get my DOE clearence first. Suggestions would be helpful, thanks

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Made a BOO BOO
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2004, 03:35 »
But I jsut wanted to get my DOE clearence first.

FYI, you can't get a DOE clearance at a NRC facility, such as Calvert Cliffs.

frenchyjr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2004, 04:04 »
thx but that doesn't make me feel any better but I was told that only companies like AG take first timers.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2004, 05:21 »
Frenchy it might help to have a few more details.  First off, how long were you there the first day?  How long from the time you left until you got back in touch with Atlantic Group? 

You'll find out that this is a detail oriented industry for obvious reasons.  The recruiter knows this & is probably looking on your leaving so suddenly as you not paying attention to detail.  That's probably a big reason behind him not returning your calls. I'm not trying to beat you up, just make you aware of how what you did might be perceived.  You might keep trying to get in touch with your recruiter.  You might also try with Bartlett & see if you can get on as a deconner.  I wish you luck.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

frenchyjr

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:45 »
I was there for about an hour when I got the call and I left the first message to my recruiter the same day but late as I wasn't thinking much about him when I was running thru dules airport and trying to find out my wife's situation. I do see where you are comming from don't get me wrong, and I admit it was my mistake not his. But I hope to get a second chance to make ammends. Thx for the info though

harleygirl

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:06 »
Frenchy, if you are going to freak like this then you aren't going to be good for the nuclear power field. It sounds like you should try to find something at home. On the road the home life needs to be very independent and take care of things without you and you need to be very independent to be on the road. Unless it is life and death... you won't be always running home...or will you? If that is the case forget the outages it will never work for you. Sorry if that sounds harsh....it is not intended to be anything but straight up.

You really bailed without telling anyone? Didn't you think that your recruiter/supervisor might be able to help you... at least with the transportation home??? There have been other emergencies before yours that they have had to deal with. Remember you are not the first and won't be the last....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?