Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations... honeypot

Author Topic: Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations...  (Read 28203 times)

Nic_Flo

Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations...
« on: Jul 09, 2009, 06:31 »
So out of the blue I talked with a navy recruiter today and I went to humoring him to seriously considering a career in the navy.  I took a practice ASVAB and got a 94, and they told me I could easily ace the real ASVAB and then he brought up the Nuclear Navy program and threw a bunch of interesting facts about the pay and such...  Also, I know that I have the intelligence to participate in this program, however...

I tend to ace tests and quizzes with relatively no studying involved.  I did maybe all my assignments while at school, however I would do absolutely no work when I got to my house.  Whatever I did not do at school, I turned in incomplete or not at all.  I would say I cruised through high school with little effort, earning above a 3.0 GPA, but I think I failed one class senior year the last quarter, which I didn't need anyway. 

The next year, however, I attended a local community college for a year.  The first semester was alright, with me slacking off halfway through the year.  I only showed up to my music-related classes, dropped my English Class, and stopped showing up to my Business Calc class, receiving a B-C in my music classes and somehow pulling a D in Business Calc.  Winter quarter and spring quarter I basically did not show up to the classes halfway through each quarter and failed all but one class (Psych, which I stopped skipped half the time, receiving a C).  So basically, one year wasted at college.

My other worry is about my health.  I recently dabbled in marijuana (2 weeks ago was the last time I used) but didn't do it often.  I also drank occasionally (underage).  I also am not in the best shape, but the recruiter said they wouldn't ship me unless they knew that I was prepared for boot camp and that they would help train me.

So, in closing, i would basically like to know if I should worry about my previous grades and such or my former drug use.  Should I look into other programs or will the Navy give me that special push to excel in this field?

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Potential Navy Nuke with some reservations...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2009, 08:39 »
Well, with your current effort, attitude, drug use I dont want you near my sailor or any of his shipmates.  You need to finish what you start, put in 100% effort, be self motivated, and stop the recreational drugs.  Take a time out and straighten up first. This is your mom speaking.

Kathy, VPNNM

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:46 »
I thought I would have it easy. When I was in high school, I was generally the smartest kid in the class. My test scores usually matched or beat the valedictorian's. I easily slept my way through my C average and of course excelled in the classes I liked.

I thought that when I went to Nuke school, all I really had to do was pay attention and I would have no problem.

Then I found myself in a class full of the "smartest kids in the class". I also found out (after a couple of tests) that skating through this school would not be an option. I realised that I needed to learn how to study and apply myself or I would find myself out in the fleet with no rate and working as a striker.

They won't carry you, they won't coddle you. If you go to the Nuke program, you will need to step up. skipping classes will not be an option. This is not like college. you will be in class or study 8-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

Search this forum. You will find plenty of posts to give you an idea of what the school is like.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:26 »
   Wow this all sounds familiar, my story wasn't much different. I had no interest in school but still got by with no problem. I played board "one" for my high school chess team, played chess with the University of Illinois chess club on weekends and even beat the Air Force champion (once). I never thought of myself as smart and had no study habits when I enlisted. All of that changed as the Navy provided a discipline that I lacked. I came from a blue collar family not more than a couple generations from being a hillbilly, college or professional life was not even on my horizon.
   If you do not have the discipline or vision for the future the Nuclear Navy can give you that. Knowing what I do now, I would not want to do it again but, I am glad I did it. It will not be easy and it will not be handed to you.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:56 »
but I think I failed one class senior year the last quarter, which I didn't need anyway. 

If you don't remember which classes you failed, then the drugs are working just fine.

Don't even think about joining until you are celebrating 6 months clean and sober, sometime in 2010.

"Bosun, pipe Sweepers!"

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2009, 11:00 »
I thought I would have it easy. When I was in high school, I was generally the smartest kid in the class. My test scores usually matched or beat the valedictorian's. I easily slept my way through my C average and of course excelled in the classes I liked.

I thought that when I went to Nuke school, all I really had to do was pay attention and I would have no problem.

Then I found myself in a class full of the "smartest kids in the class". I also found out (after a couple of tests) that skating through this school would not be an option. I realised that I needed to learn how to study and apply myself or I would find myself out in the fleet with no rate and working as a striker.

They won't carry you, they won't coddle you. If you go to the Nuke program, you will need to step up. skipping classes will not be an option. This is not like college. you will be in class or study 8-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

Search this forum. You will find plenty of posts to give you an idea of what the school is like.

This isn't exactly true anymore.  There is a WHOLE lot more coddling and carrying nowadays as opposed the past.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2009, 11:21 »
This isn't exactly true anymore.  There is a WHOLE lot more coddling and carrying nowadays as opposed the past.

I have been out of the Navy for 31 years and have been in contact with the most recent crop of "Old Timers" from the nuclear Navy in the course of my jobs at Nuclear plants and DOE facilities. I seem to hear the same thing from every new generation, the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program is going to hell in a hand basket. By now they must be taking them from under bridges and out of homeless shelters. There is an ebb and flow in the program to adjust the "Needs of the Navy" but I suspect that the quality of the personell is still very high. Only ten percent of those who enlisted as nukes when I did made it through the program, but then there was lots of room for washouts on River Boats in Vietnam and oilers to support the much larger fleet. I could rest on the laurels of surviving a high failure rate or simply understand that they allowed more into the pipeline. Once we hit prototype you were assumed to be capable of finishing the program so if you did not get caught with dope you made it through with just a reasonable effort. Were we coddled at prototype?

Marlin
XMM1/SS
Class 71-2

That's just my opinion I could be wrong.   D.M.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 11:23 by Marlin »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2009, 11:48 »
When "Through a separate administrative action" I was released from the nuclear program, i found out I was part of the 53% attrition rate at that time at the school (20 years ago). I guess that was much better than the 90% rate during your time Marlin.

Any idea what it is now?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2009, 12:41 »
   Not really, maybe we can get someone with 0 time out of the Navy comment on that.  ;) With less room to place drop outs I am sure the initial screening may be tougher and the effort to keep candidates is stronger, but I am confident that we still have a high standard just applied in a different manner. I remember doing an eye roll with nukes whom I wondered how they got through the program even from my class. I guess it's just perspective.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2009, 12:48 »
When "Through a separate administrative action" I was released from the nuclear program, i found out I was part of the 53% attrition rate at that time at the school (20 years ago). I guess that was much better than the 90% rate during your time Marlin.

Any idea what it is now?

When I left, Non-accademic attrition was less than 15% and Academic attrition was around 10%. This was in 2006.  There were several students that had not passed over half of their tests in Power School, failed comp twice, and failed their Ac-board and were still sent to P-type. 

However, with regards to the orginal poster I think a HydroDave quote would work best.....

200 quatloos against the newcomer.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 12:51 by Preciousblue1965 »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2009, 01:02 »
There were several students that had not passed over half of their tests in Power School, failed comp twice, and failed their Ac-board and were still sent to P-type. 

how is that even tolerated?

Nic_Flo

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2009, 01:21 »
Well I don't plan to use any marijuana in the future and I certainly won't drink when I'm in the Navy.  Also, I have heard that it takes VERY hard work to be a Navy nuke.  I have felt that I have wasted several years of my life just being lazy on school.  I just didn't have any motivation because I didn't think about my future.  However, I really want to change myself for the better...  I am willing to put forth the effort needed to become a Navy nuke.  I don't want to become the failure I doomed myself to become with my last year of college...

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2009, 01:25 »
how is that even tolerated?

It is part of the "new" nuke program.  It began with Bowman in the mid 90s saying that he wanted academic attrition brought down.  It has progressively gotten worse over the years.  There are mounds of examples in which the student was coddled or had the deck stacked in his/her favor, such as:

-Student had failed 2 Final Evaluated Watches in ERLL. The third try, they gave his a drill watch and refused to run any drills that required him to do anything other than log the event had happened.
-Student completely bombs his Final Oral board for MM(this guy thought oil went through bearings in series vice parralell and that pump laws were what told you when to start a pump and which one).  "Unofficial" policy was to give failures a 2.4 because it might otherwise "dishearten" them if they got anything less.  Got a nice talking to by TM over that one when I gave the kid a 2.2
-Students now have "health and comfort" inspections of their private apartments while at NPTU.
-There are now "quotas" for off-crew staff at NPTU.  They have "recommended" number of checkout to give a day.  If they don't they are "encouraged" to spend extra time after shift giving checkouts.
-It is the general consensus among higher ups that if they qualify to get into the program, then they can pass the program and if they are failing it is because the instructors aren't putting in enough effort.  So basically the recruiters are the first, last, and only line of "quality control" for nuke trainees.

These are just a few of the things I have seen.  There are hundreds more in the "How would you fix the NNPP" thread along with several other threads.  

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2009, 02:00 »
Maybe I've been a bit Polyannaish about this, I know I would not want to serve on a sub with someone who did measure up. I will spend some time on the thread mentioned.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2009, 02:39 »
While I was released for something I considered stupid (on my part and theirs) I still respected the tough standards that the Navy Nuclear program held. to see that those standards have been relaxed to such a degree as you describe saddens me. Hopefully it's still a quality program.

I'll take a look at the thread you mentioned

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2009, 03:12 »
Maybe I've been a bit Polyannaish about this, I know I would not want to serve on a sub with someone who did measure up. I will spend some time on the thread mentioned.

Wow 17 pages on this thread. So far it sounds a little like a break room b*&#h session rambling from personnel treatment to compensation, to standards but then I am only a few pages into it.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2009, 03:30 »
Wow 17 pages on this thread. So far it sounds a little like a break room b*&#h session rambling from personnel treatment to compensation, to standards but then I am only a few pages into it.

Well that is about the jest of it, but there are several examples of the lower standards buried in there. 

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #17 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:30 »
Well I don't plan to use any marijuana in the future and I certainly won't drink when I'm in the Navy.  Also, I have heard that it takes VERY hard work to be a Navy nuke.  I have felt that I have wasted several years of my life just being lazy on school.  I just didn't have any motivation because I didn't think about my future.  However, I really want to change myself for the better...  I am willing to put forth the effort needed to become a Navy nuke.  I don't want to become the failure I doomed myself to become with my last year of college...
I was right with you until the part about not planning to use mj in the future an not drinking while in the Navy.  If you were smoking the shit 2 weeks ago, you won't be clean enough to enlist until Christmas.  So, not Planning" to smoke don't cut it.  You pretty much have to make it a final and unalterable decision like, uh, right now.

As for not drinking while in the Navy.....   OMFG!  Do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is?

Dude, before you think about handling the switches on a nuclear reactor, you need to get a grip on reality.  What are you, 19?  20?  Of course you are going to drink while in the Navy.  The trick is to do it like a man instead of like a dumb kid.  But, it is too early for someone who is basically not eligible to enlist to swear off alcohol for at least six years of a future that you don't fully comprehend at the moment.  How about doing this instead -  stop smoking weed, stop underage drinking, get a menial job to hold you over a few months, and then (when you have clean piss) go talk to your recruiter again.  If you get that far, let us know.  We'll help.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

SSBN640Blue

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2009, 05:29 »
Such words of encouragement.

Well Nic_Flo, it is all up to you.  Granted there may be issues with MJ and the advice to cleanup first is the best to consider, or you won't be able to get in.

There is a little more to consider then just the Navy nuke program however.  Have to remember where you will be serving.  I know the Long Beach and Bainbridge are decommissioned, so you only have a few nuke carriers or duty on submarines.  You can be pretty certain you'll be on a sub and that is a totally different thing to consider.

The submariners are a little different breed.  On a surface ship, you can haul ass to a life boat if the ship is sinking.  On a sub, you are already sunk, so where can you haul ass to?  That makes them totally reliant upon each other.  US Navy hasn't lost a sub since the Thresher and Scorpion and todays boats are marvels of technology compared to what I sailed on in the 70's.  But one thing hasn't changed in 30 years, or in the history of the sub service, all subs are just a hulk of steel with out a well trained crew that can count on each other in a crisis.

When your a thousand feet down and a line breaks and the ocean is coming into the "People Tank" at 1000 gallons per minute, you better know that the guy in the lower level knows exactly which valve to close to isolate leak.  Getting through Nuke Power School and Prototype, is is just beginning of your training.  There are watch station qualifications and ships qualifications that you have to get through.  Figure a year to qualify for your Dolphins and a year to qualify as reactor operator, and you do them both at the same time.  Go Dink and you'll be studying your butt off get off the Dink List.  No movies, card games or anything else except study when you are on the Dink List.

To qualify subs isn't like the old diesel boats where every man knew every other man's jobs.  But you are expected to know the boat from end to end and where all the major equipment is in each compartment and where all the major isolations in an emergency.

Nuke quals are another story, you ARE expected to know EVERYTHING.  And the guys who make sure you do are the ones who will be sleeping when you are on watch.  No doubt about it, any Reactor Operator I trained knew more then I did when I signed off his card.

Then of course once you qualify, there are drills and drills and more drills.  Reactor Scrams, Main Steam Leaks, Flooding, Fire, etc.  Training never stops.  I checked the startup log at the end of patrol once.  Besides the normal reactor startup for sea trials and getting under way for patrol, I logged 30 reactor startups in 76 days of patrol, with two from out in the machinery space.  We could go from a scram to full power line up in 24 minutes.  That was all training and not what you got from nuke school or prototype.  The best fleet operators I served with, didn't finish nuke school in the top of the class and the Hot Runners at Basic NPS washed out in prototype.

It's isn't so much are you cut out for the nuke program, but are you cut out to be a Submariner?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2009, 06:07 »
I've been thinking about this lately,....

Back in the day it was only ten percent, or fifty percent or some sort of number that signified two things;

If you made it, that was because you wanted to, and because you made it, you were part of some intangibly elite corp that only the insiders really knew the deal on,....

Now,.....not so much,.....

Of course I could be wrong,........ ;)

I think I can give that a "Nukebusters" plausible.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2009, 11:14 »

Gentlemen,.....ALL of the above posts are coddling,......

_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _______

The following is old school;

Yes, Yes, taking the carrot off of the stick and beating the donkey with it works too, you just have to replace the donkey more often.   :P

withroaj

« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2009, 01:05 »
Yeah I know,....

good thing is the donkeys just keep on breeding,.....

Is it a good thing?

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2009, 02:47 »
WRT the "new" Nuclear Navy. I've talked with some folks who are still in, and some recently out of the pipeline. The reports I got indicated that the Bowman policies have been rescinded, and they are marching back to quality over "zero attrition".  There are wide spread acknowledgement that those policies failed the Navy, and many folks got through the pipeline who should have been given the boot.  It winds up being up to the fleet to deal with the dirtbags, which is  a real bummer.

The good news is that it's changing back to a more rigorous program. 
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2009, 02:56 »
While I was released for something I considered stupid (on my part and theirs) I still respected the tough standards that the Navy Nuclear program held.

Yeah, but your issue keeps you from moving near a playground...

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2009, 03:57 »
hmmmmmmmmmmm,.....

when I joined up they were purging the Zumwalt era from the Navy at large,...

the more things change, the more they seem the same,....

thing was I really liked the utility working uniform and ballcap from the Zumwalt revolution,....

I was never a big fan of the dungarees, the "dixie cup" or the crackerjacks,...

Indeed.

Yea, I liked the ball caps too. I remember when I got my first one on Sam Rayburn... made me really feel like more than just another squid. I still have it, still wear it even though it's getting very... ahem... well used after 25 years.

Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:52 »
Yeah, but your issue keeps you from moving near a playground...

that's just wrong......  0.49 -K to you (rounds to zero, this time)  ::)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2009, 10:11 »
hmmmmmmmmmmm,.....

when I joined up they were purging the Zumwalt era from the Navy at large,...

the more things change, the more they seem the same,....

thing was I really liked the utility working uniform and ballcap from the Zumwalt revolution,....

I was never a big fan of the dungarees, the "dixie cup" or the crackerjacks,...

Yeah, ditto that.  I loved the utilities that didn't wear out, the black stormtrooper cap that you could wear more than once without having to throw it away, the rainproof combination hat, the coat and tie dress blues...
All of it got replaced by the play clothes that came back and I had to pay for on my $4/month uniform allowance.  At least they issued the crackerjacks so I wouldn't have to buy them.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:16 »
What a difference months or even weeks can make;

I was in 8102 and missed out on getting the 'jacks issued, I had to buy them. It's difficult to remember the details, I believe the regulations may have accommodated me skating through to EAOS wearing the initial issue of whites, blues and salt & peppers. Conversely, my first submarine command made the 'jacks mandatory for first day liberty or some such nonsense when we were in foreign ports. IIRC, they gave us one visit to Subic so we could get them tailored on the cheap, or we could buy them through the Navy Exchange/Uniform Store. But, Good Humor Man or Sailor Jack and Bingo I was never a fan of the dress whites, you can't go commando in dress whites. Seems I always had enough t-shirts, it was the boxers that tended to came up "short". It's been a couple of decades, and I've tended to bury the more mundane vagaries of Navy service into a foggy remembrance that immature BS just goes with the job. You can roll with it or roll out.

I, too, was in 8102...section 8--no pun intended, just the middle-of-the-road ET. Anyhow, the Crackerjacks became mandatory in '83 or '84 (I think). I cannot remember either, I had no pain in getting them because my mom wanted to see me in the 'jacks when I came home on weekends from NPS (I was from Fort Lauderdale), so she bought me a pair, which was the only way I was going to get them. I have to admit, though, the uniform was worth its weight in free beers when I hit the bars at home. I must say that uniform is very distinctive.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 12:18 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?