Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Retention  

Poll

Which of these things would you most want to see improved in order for you to re-enlist?

I want a big bonus
0 (0%)
I want to see change in the workload/watches/hours
4 (33.3%)
I want to see better time management practices
0 (0%)
I want quality superiors
2 (16.7%)
There is nothing that can be offered to me to make me stay
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Retention  (Read 4234 times)

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
Retention
« on: Jul 31, 2009, 02:00 »
I was just curious to get some feedback on here.  Obviously throwing around large sums of money is the military's way of going about keeping people.  I was just curious as to what those of you who have been there think needs reevaluated. 
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

Offline DelayedNeutron

• Light User
Re: Retention
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2009, 02:23 »
Short of a commision, I doubt the Navy had anything to offer that would match having my own place, eating meals at home, no fire drills or bells while I'm sleeping, and making a lot more money. 

I can't see the Navy ever providing a bonus to seriously compete with the commercial world.  I make over $100K a year as an EO and I've only been qualified 2 years.  Quality Supervisors aren't very likely to stay, when better opportunies exist outside the navy.  I think there will always be a shortage of qualified people in the Nuke program, unless standards keep lowering, which I think will just cause even more people to leave.  It seems unlikely working conditions will improve anytime soon.

Maybe its just a combonation of being in the Navy and in the Nuke progam, that makes retention unlikely.  I'm glad for the work experience, but not the hell that goes with it.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2009, 03:15 »
The questions are almost identical to the wish list of things the swabbies thought could be better circa 1980-1984. It hasnt changed, it aint gonna change, and from perusing USN posts as of late, it would seem as though what was previously thought an impossibility-it seems to be getting worse.

MM2/ELT/RPPO(Retention Prevention Petty Officer) USS NIMITZ CVN-68

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2009, 04:23 »
It seems like you may be asking how would you fix the NNPP?.  The link will take you to hundreds of gripes.

In your poll you might want to include "I don't feel the need to go to sea anymore." 

Intriguing question, though.  Try not to psych yourself out too much with the idea of low retention.  The job really isn't that bad.  It just wears on people.  When their times come, they get out.  I'd like to think that most look back on it fondly (though it may take more time for some than others to reach this conclusion).

Keep your eyes on the prize (whatever that may be for you) and it will run its course.  Mine will probably end at nine years.  Some people retire and wonder where the 20+ years went.  Good luck.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:34 »
In your poll you might want to include "I don't feel the need to go to sea anymore." 

The job really isn't that bad.  It just wears on people. 

And he is right...also, your poll choice of "workload/watches/hours" was a prescient one...many bad things happen to individuals and vessels based on highly fatigued crews due to short manning and high operating tempo.

For those of us with the Cold War Certificate ( I waited until Rummy was gone to request mine), I offer an hors d'oeurve from the past....

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:51 »
I am not sure I should be voting but I did. 100 quatloos to the first to guess my vote...  :P

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:53 »
I am not sure I should be voting but I did. 100 quatloos to the first to guess my vote...  :P

Justin

I have your range, relative bearing, course and speed...you get the ASROC! mister last category

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:57 »
You sunk my battleship!  8)

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2009, 06:18 »
Actually, considering the vintage of the movie above and the shape of the sail, it's more likely an old Zulu class diesel boat

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?