Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Leaving in 4 days honeypot

Author Topic: Leaving in 4 days  (Read 3279 times)

moormane

Leaving in 4 days
« on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:34 »
So my original ship out date was November 20th but today it got bumped up to july 14th. July weather has got to be a hell of a lot better than in November. I'm pretty nervous but at the same time excited and ready for all the challenges ahead of me. I was wondering if anyone could give me an insight on what boot camps like. What do i need to know? What should I and shouldn't i do? Is it really as bad as they make it seem?

Any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

jasper

Re: Leaving in 4 days
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:46 »
make sure you join the credit union ;)

Offline nathaneltrct

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:49 »
IMHO-
From what I remember, bring nothing to boot camp. You will ship most of it (stuff you bring) home (10 years ago). After that be quiet, do what you are told, and do the best you can on any physical and mental challenges. If you can manage to do that, your time at Great Mistakes will be at worst oll korrect (OK), and at best not bad. I think it will be not be bad based on the fact that YOU WILL think positive, and we will for you. Talk to you in a few weeks, that's all it is and remember that it is nothing compared to the 18+ years of life you have lived. You lived before that, and will continue to do so after boot camp, it is but a snippet of time. If you can make it through that, being life, you can make it through some individuals who are coached at being mean. It's nothing more than a play and people playing their parts. I think that is partially true for most situations in your upcoming career. Good luck and thank you for your service (PENDING).
Above all, don't fear difficult moments, the best comes from them. -Rita Levi Montalcini

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2009, 11:11 »
So my original ship out date was November 20th but today it got bumped up to july 14th. July weather has got to be a hell of a lot better than in November. I'm pretty nervous but at the same time excited and ready for all the challenges ahead of me. I was wondering if anyone could give me an insight on what boot camps like. What do i need to know? What should I and shouldn't i do? Is it really as bad as they make it seem?

Any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds simpler than it is, but if you can remember it you'll do fine.  Ready?

Q: What do i need to know? 
A: Nothing.  When you need to know something, someone will tell you.  Anything else that you know is useless for the next few weeks, and can only serve to screw things up.

Q:What should I and shouldn't i do?
A: Do as you are told exactly as you are told.  DO NOT THINK!!!!  Okay, think during the few minutes of spare time.  But don't think too hard or too long.  Nobody is interested in anything you have to offer on how to make things easier, faster, better, or logical.  The whole point is that it isn't supposed to be easy, fast, better, or even logical.  The test is whether you will do what you are told.  Sometimes they WANT you to do a stupid thing.  You go thinking too much and you are going to be sorry.
Also, don't listen to all the guys who are not smart enough to stop thinking.  There will be dozens of low-IQ doofuses with bright ideas that they will share with you.  You don't need their help.  You just need to do as you are told.  If the CC tells you to shave every single day, but the dorks in your company tell you that they heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy that you shouldn't shave the day you go to the tear gas shack, you do as the CC told you.  Sure, the tear gas stings your face a little, but it will be burning your eyes, nose and throat so much that you won't notice the stinging on your face.

Q: Is it really as bad as they make it seem?
A: It is exactly as bad as you make it.  If I got through it, any person of average health can make it too.  You make it good or bad by remembering that it is a test - a test you will have to take over and over until you pass it.  The guys you see who have worn out their first set of uniforms and still haven't graduated, the guys who have lined-out their company number two, three, or four times on their laundry bags, those guys are still there because they just can't help but to overthink the process.  It is all really too easy if you just remember the simple rules: speak when spoken to, do as you are told.

Boot Camp is easy.  Millions of people have passed through it.  If somebody is not cutting it, encourage him.  If you can't get a good shine on your shoes, watch the guys who can.  Don't overthink, but don't turn your mind off either.  Be a team player.  The whole company lives as one unit.  So, if you all help each other, you'll all get through it just fine.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline matthew7899

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2009, 08:55 »
Here is a little tidbit that will help....

If you are told you are doing something wrong, the only words that should come out of your mouth are..."Yes Petty officer(Chief), it won't happen again."

I can't tell you how much more time/trouble you will waste if you don't just acknowledge the statement and fix the problem, no one there is interested in your opinion.  It is human nature to be defensive toward an attack (verbal or physical), the difference is, they are right and you are wrong...any remarks will result in a longer butt chewing. 

When you first get to boot camp, pay attention to the people that get into trouble and see which ones drag out the pain, it will be the ones that talk back.

Matt

IPREGEN

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2009, 10:16 »
You will be going through some tremendously silly sh*t for a while. You'll get to the base late, probably take a urine test and they will wake you up early by throwing a metal garbage can on the floor. You will learn what "pop tall" means. You will get a haircut, funny clothes lots of shots and be yelled at as a group for a while. You will exercises, get some classroom training and most important, learn how to fold your laundry. You will see some people cry and some wake up with bloody pillows because they came into the Navy with bad teeth and they will fix that. you will meet a lot of people from around the country that are good people and not so good. Some are so full of crap you will be amazed at the stories they tell. DO NOT VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING and Don't lend money. Remember that many people have made it through just fine and you can to. Some do not, the Navy has holding companies for these people.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?