Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu To Navy Nuke, or not?
honeypot

Author Topic: To Navy Nuke, or not?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
To Navy Nuke, or not?
« on: Jul 03, 2009, 11:30 »
Well, after nearly a year long battle with MEPS and recruiters and ECM's I have finally gotten accepted into the Nuc program. I'm scheduled to leave August 5th for Great Lakes.

First, a little about me. I'm 24, married (no children), I did 6 years in the army, 2 1/2 active, 18 months overseas, the remainder I spend in the National Guard because of my fathers condition and battle with cancer. He has been doing very well lately, so my desire to reenlist with the armed forces has increased, the same as it had in High School.

I have been out of the military since Jan of 2008, and I must say, I really REALLY enjoy it. I work 4-5 days a week, very VERY rarely on weekends, and if I want to do something or go somewhere, I can and do. I don't know if I'm ready to go back to the military mentality, but I do really miss the military life. The disciple, the direction, the timeliness. My friends are NONE of these, which really irritates me, and also leaves me doing most of my "fun" alone, or waiting.

I have a great desire to go back to college. I would love a degree in Mech. E and to work either in a power plant or for a consulting company doing proto type work. I also, have a great love of Nuclear power and energy. It simply amazing me to no end.

Could any of you current Navy nuc's or, retired, or separated lend some insight into which you would do, had you been given the opportunity to again?

Offline trollarc

• Light User
Re: To Navy Nuke, or not?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2009, 11:51 »
Well from my experience. You get what you make from it. So if you are enthusiastic and do not let things get you down you will do well. Some times will suck. Navy (particularly nukes) has the tendency to end marriages. So make sure your spouse is okay with possibly very rarely seeing you for the 4.5 years after schooling (if you were married before the army its not as much as that but they will keep you for stupid things alot and underways you barely get to communicate with anybody). If you get decent pay where you are at the only reason you should join the navy is as an officer because the enlisted side is not competitive with what you can make out there. Why are you thinking about joining? Just want to serve the country again?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2009, 01:00 »

Third, The nukes (I'm told this because I've never seen it .. and it makes sense) that had previous military experience tended not to do as well because they (like you) already had seen the real world and decided the BS isn't worth it.  It doesn't mean you wouldn't do good or excellent but that I've heard about cases of this.  Though I've read cases of just the opposite as well.

I personally know/knew several OSVETS during my time in Nuke pipeline to ship. Downside: Since they have already experienced rougher/ruder senior NCOs and officers than the Navy generally owns, eaten cold spaghetti while dirty and using live ordnance... the scare-and-browbeat-them-until-they-study approach of the Nav can breed cynicism in those former soldiers, until NPS whacks them like a 2x4. Upside: Once they buckle down, no whining and moaning from these guys, and they do well.

From having read your posts over the months, I anticipate you will do well and succeed. Look forward to reading your posts from the pipeline to let us know how you are doing!

Offline trollarc

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2009, 02:00 »
Oh and thank you for serving in the Army. I once wanted to do that but now I don't think I could ever volunteer myself for the risk you went through out there. Thank you.

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2009, 09:38 »
Thank you guys for all of the advice. I do apologize for the lengthy time to my reply. I had taken a little vacation to clear my mind and enjoy myself for once.

I have decided to go back into the military. Which way, is up in the air right now. I'm currently too old and I don't have a college degree, so I do not qualify for the Navy Nuke Officer program, so I can only hope and pray for the STA-21 program to pick me up. I was also given an offer to join the local National Guard unit that is 20 minutes from my current house. This would be a 3 year contract, give me the schooling benefits of the United States Armed Forces, and they also offered to write me up a set of orders to "work" their, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week to the tune of a GS-7 position. My only fear with this job is that I would not be challenged.

Oh the decisions, the decisions. Thank you guys for the replys, I will be sure to keep you all updated.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2009, 01:32 »
Good luck and thank you for your service.

Don't worry about the challenges of the job - or lack thereof.  You can make your own challenges.  It seems to me that pursuing a degree while working and being a Guardsman should keep you plenty well challenged.

If that isn't enough for you, you could try starting a family.  Nothing tests your manhood like having children.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:48 »
Their will be NO kids for a few years. I want to make sure I can satisfy a wife and myself, before I try to add in a child. I suppose I'm looking to be secure and stable before I increase my stable. I refuse to let my wife, my child, or myself, for that matter, go without.....plus my hobby is pricey.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?