NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPUA honeypot

Author Topic: NPUA  (Read 384234 times)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
Re: NPUA
« Reply #275 on: Jul 06, 2010, 12:45 »
  We incur two sets of bills working away from home. Why is that we should accept lower wages than those incurring only one set of bills?

We are free to live in our car or rent a penthouse suite.  Employers care not, owe not.  This is America; Land of the Free and home of at-will employment.

Folks who think employers OWE travel pay, benefits, per diem, and high wages to short-term traveling high school graduates might try Detroit.  Lots of like-thinking union bros to hang with during usta-work hours.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #276 on: Jul 06, 2010, 10:28 »
How could anyone expect to receive a per diem stipend during a job that is expected to last a decade?  Let me clue you in.  If you accept a job that is expected to last a decade you have become a local, and per diem is out of the equation.

JMNSHO

True.  No per diem for a job that is expected to last more than a year.

BUT!!!  Asking people to relocate should come with some allowance for the cost of doing so.  Many of those who are of the management ranks on such a project will be paid generous relocation benefits both coming and going.
It is one thing to take a job away from home short term with reimbursement for travel expenses.  It is quite another to uproot your whole family and drag them to a strange place.  And to do that knowing that you are going to have to find another job in 7 to 10 years would require some consideration of the fact that such a move (done twice) will cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Very few lone wolves are going to get more than mileage to take this job.  A strong unified voice might change that.

MS, you are correct also.  The employer owes the employee nothing other than what he agreed to pay and the employee agreed to accept.  Now, having said that, there isn't a damned thing wrong with changing the parameters of what you will agree to accept.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #277 on: Jul 06, 2010, 10:24 »
MS, you are correct also.  The employer owes the employee nothing other than what he agreed to pay and the employee agreed to accept.  Now, having said that, there isn't a damned thing wrong with changing the parameters of what you will agree to accept.

Well said, and true.  If unionists would just state it that way:  "We just want more, and believe we can squeeze you by banding together."

But they don't.  They refer to management as "oppressive," and fight for their "rights."  Spew vitriol.  Have seen union leadership get on TV., kill a merger, lie about the utility, vandalize property....open warfare.  Even these NPUA guys talk openly about being taken advantage of, Bartlett as the devil, etc.

Nothing wrong with demanding more.  Good luck.  My integrity just is not worth the price the way these guys play the game.

Offline Old Dude

• Very Lite User
« Reply #278 on: Jul 07, 2010, 08:21 »
Unionizing the nuclear field is not an easy task. Let’s give the NPUA a chance before some tear it apart with negative attitudes.
You have read Kevin’s post. He said a lot of positive things about the future.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Sign the authorization cards.
Plant the seed and the tree will grow.
A union is only as good as its members.
In solidarity
 :D

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #279 on: Jul 07, 2010, 10:23 »
I think CSI is trying to staff Turkey early with that 35 and 150 job.  those are the type wages NPUA was getting.  even if you dont go union maybe you could get more money???

mostlyharmless

« Reply #280 on: Jul 07, 2010, 01:39 »
The basic idea of a union is good. They all start out with good intentions. Next thing you know your company is on the verge of bankruptcy because the union wants more and more power. Sounds familiar doesnt it?
Unions exist because of unscrupulous companies that take advantage of peoples desire and need to work. Good examples of the atmosphere that produced unions are the canaries ( cans not the birds ) of the northwest,textiles of the southeast, and migrant workers everywhere. The textile companies targeted children,women and blacks because they would work for less. Migrant workers have been treated as farm animals.
I don't believe a wage like 35/150 would put the utilities out of business. How long would it take a plant at full power to sale enough elec. to cover the cost of all the contract hps for the entire length of the outage. Probably not long. Please correct me if I am wrong.
If a union would help get techs a better wage fine. But when it the union gets to demanding and starts getting heavily involved with the work, no. I dont want to work for a union. I would not mind working for a company and being represented by a union.There is a difference.
I saw a coffee mug one time. It was in the shape of an elephant, and when you looked inside there was the shape of a donkey. Message ( mesage or message, Al could tell me) being there is a little democrat in every republican. And the opposite would be true.
I see the need for a union but I do not trust them.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #281 on: Jul 07, 2010, 03:15 »
35/150.  pretty good.  what I was saying is if you don't go NPUA, at least go for a higher paying plant.  that speaks volumes as well.  some people might not bite at the 35/150 for other reasons.  I think most of us know what those are...some valid, some figments.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #282 on: Jul 07, 2010, 04:09 »
A case could be made that you would never see a 35/150 RP job if it wasn't for the efforts of the NPUA.  Ride their coat tails if you want, or get off the fence and support them so 35/150 becomes the norm, not the exception.

The same could be said of the internet and websites like NukeWorker.  Before NukeWorker went online everyone was making $14.50 & $50.  -- Due to increased communication via the internet (and a shortage of workforce), the rates have gone up.

The companies that are paying $35/hr are not paying it because of the NPUA; they are paying it because it’s the only way to get good techs.  There is a shortage of good techs out there.  You want the good techs, you pay for good techs.  It’s just that simple.

If you want to pay $22/hr for techs… you get what you pay for. i.e. Someone that CAN’T work where the rate is better, or someone that will jump ship at the first BETTER offer.

I believe we all agree that if a tech wants to make $35/hr, they can.  The jobs are out there.  Most all DOE sites are paying $32-35/hr.  The techs have to stop accepting $22/hr jobs and crying about it.  They have to take action.  That action might include the NPUA, it might not.  It might include learning to pass the CORE exam, and stepping outside your comfort zone.  God forbid we adults have to learn something new or challenge ourselves.

If you include the NPUA in your plans, then do it right, don’t just sign a card.  Follow all of their other guidance, not just the parts that are convenient for you.

This is the advice I give my friends, and it has made them a lot of money, it might work for you too:  All you need to do is decide what you are worth, and only accept jobs that pay that number.  Company A will call you and offer you the ‘going rate’ and you need to turn it down, even if it is at home, or at your favorite plant with your best friends.  Company B will call you too and offer you the going rate at a string of sites promising you a long and fruitful string of jobs.  Turn it down.  Tell them both that you want to work for them, and what you are willing to work for, and when they have a job that pays that rate, you are available.  You know what?  They will call.  Not later that day, or tomorrow, but they WILL call.  They have jobs at all pay rates.  They fill the low paying jobs with workers that have historically accepted low paying jobs.  They fill the higher paying jobs with workers that they can’t put in the lower paying jobs.  They need to fill all of the spots.

When staffing firms can’t fill the $22 jobs, but fill all of the $35 jobs, they go back to the client with their hat in their hand.  They tell the client that they CAN staff the job, just not at the rate they all agreed to.  The client doesn’t like this, and has the option of giving them more money to staff it at a higher rate or to let another company try to staff it at the same rate.  Typically, the staffing firm can staff it at the higher rate, and everything is good in the world.  Sometimes they can’t.  When the client decided to let another staffing firm try to staff it at the lower rate, the result is typically the bad, no one wants to go there.  The client eventually learns that they need to pay more.  The client hates paying more.  They hate it because they have to tell their superiors that they need more money. And that makes their superiors mad, because they in turn have to tell their superiors, etc.

At some point, someone says, “Just get it done, and make it happen”.  That’s when everyone makes more money except the client.

Now, if people accept the $22/hr job, none of this happens.  The client gets a bunch of crappy workers at the low rate, and just thinks that the industry is full of crappy workers.  No one makes more money.  The client isn’t going to pay more next time either, because they assume all of the workers are crappy, and are not worth more money.  It isn’t a staffing issue, because they staffed it.  It’s a general industry problem of low quality workers.

You have to only accept the job that pays what you feel is fair for your valuable time.  If you are worth $35/hr, then take any job that pays $35, and let the people that can’t get $35 accept the $22/hr jobs.  Some people work at the $22 jobs because it is near their house.   I love you, but if you accept those jobs, you are part of the problem.  NOT part of the solution.  It does matter.  Go ahead and take the job, and I’ll still love you.  But I don’t want you to ever complain about the wages anywhere, any time.  Because it’s the people that do what is convenient that make the wages stay low.  Only take the highest available job, all the time.  And you will be part of the solution.

Part 2 of the plan, is, of course, to make yourself worth more… so you can get more of those higher paying jobs.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #283 on: Jul 07, 2010, 04:16 »
Very well stated. I have been saying the same thing for years but I think you said it better.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

stownsend

« Reply #284 on: Jul 07, 2010, 04:58 »
When the mortgage company calls and says where's my $1500,I tell them I'll only pay $1000. Call me back when you'll accept $1000. The wife and kids say I'm hungry can we eat today? I say no you ate yesterday come back and see if we have food tommorrow.At some point I have to decide if I can live on Mike's love. I understand the intent but not all households have the same cash flow.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010, 10:45 by stownsend »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #285 on: Jul 07, 2010, 05:08 »
The same could be said of the internet and websites like NukeWorker.  Before NukeWorker went online everyone was making $14.50 & $50.  -- Due to increased communication via the internet (and a shortage of workforce), the rates have gone up.

The companies that are paying $35/hr are not paying it because of the NPUA; they are paying it because it’s the only way to get good techs.  There is a shortage of good techs out there.  You want the good techs, you pay for good techs.  It’s just that simple.

If you want to pay $22/hr for techs… you get what you pay for. i.e. Someone that CAN’T work where the rate is better, or someone that will jump ship at the first BETTER offer.

I believe we all agree that if a tech wants to make $35/hr, they can.  The jobs are out there.  Most all DOE sites are paying $32-35/hr.  The techs have to stop accepting $22/hr jobs and crying about it.  They have to take action.  That action might include the NPUA, it might not.  It might include learning to pass the CORE exam, and stepping outside your comfort zone.  God forbid we adults have to learn something new or challenge ourselves.

If you include the NPUA in your plans, then do it right, don’t just sign a card.  Follow all of their other guidance, not just the parts that are convenient for you.

This is the advice I give my friends, and it has made them a lot of money, it might work for you too:  All you need to do is decide what you are worth, and only accept jobs that pay that number.  Company A will call you and offer you the ‘going rate’ and you need to turn it down, even if it is at home, or at your favorite plant with your best friends.  Company B will call you too and offer you the going rate at a string of sites promising you a long and fruitful string of jobs.  Turn it down.   Tell them both that you want to work for them, and what you are willing to work for, and when they have a job that pays that rate, you are available.  You know what?  They will call.  Not later that day, or tomorrow, but they WILL call.  They have jobs at all pay rates.  They fill the low paying jobs with workers that have historically accepted low paying jobs.  They fill the higher paying jobs with workers that they can’t put in the lower paying jobs.  They need to fill all of the spots.

When staffing firms can’t fill the $22 jobs, but fill all of the $35 jobs, they go back to the client with their hat in their hand.  They tell the client that they CAN staff the job, just not at the rate they all agreed to.  The client doesn’t like this, and has the option of giving them more money to staff it at a higher rate or to let another company try to staff it at the same rate.  Typically, the staffing firm can staff it at the higher rate, and everything is good in the world.  Sometimes they can’t.  When the client decided to let another staffing firm try to staff it at the lower rate, the result is typically the bad, no one wants to go there.  The client eventually learns that they need to pay more.  The client hates paying more.  They hate it because they have to tell their superiors that they need more money. And that makes their superiors mad, because they in turn have to tell their superiors, etc.

At some point, someone says, “Just get it done, and make it happen”.  That’s when everyone makes more money except the client.

Now, if people accept the $22/hr job, none of this happens.  The client gets a bunch of crappy workers at the low rate, and just thinks that the industry is full of crappy workers.  No one makes more money.  The client isn’t going to pay more next time either, because they assume all of the workers are crappy, and are not worth more money.  It isn’t a staffing issue, because they staffed it.  It’s a general industry problem of low quality workers.

You have to only accept the job that pays what you feel is fair for your valuable time.  If you are worth $35/hr, then take any job that pays $35, and let the people that can’t get $35 accept the $22/hr jobs.  Some people work at the $22 jobs because it is near their house.   I love you, but if you accept those jobs, you are part of the problem.  NOT part of the solution.  It does matter.  Go ahead and take the job, and I’ll still love you.  But I don’t want you to ever complain about the wages anywhere, any time.  Because it’s the people that do what is convenient that make the wages stay low.  Only take the highest available job, all the time.  And you will be part of the solution.

Part 2 of the plan, is, of course, to make yourself worth more… so you can get more of those higher paying jobs.

Mike, I could not disagree with you more... I don't mean to be rude but to be blunt... get real! Do you honestly believe the things you wrote here? What I believe YOU and others have not come to realize is this... sometimes it's just NOT about the money. How long have you been on the road? And how long have you been married? Just wait until you have to make a decision to either stay close to home and experience your children growing up and taking that $35 job and seeing them every few months, missing not only ball games, recitals and birthdays but memories that can never be replaced.

Thankfully our family traveled together for the first 8 years Henry did... then the business changed and we came home and he traveled... at one time we spent 9 months apart only seeing each other 2 days in that time period and although we and our marriage survived, it did hurt our children and us... we then came to a decision later in life and that is we'd take less money to be closer to home. This decision by us and by others does not make any of us "crappy workers" or unable to find work at a decent rate. To say this is degrading to the people who support this site and who have worked their asses off to make way for you and others.

Now, I and I am sure Henry would love to make more money, better yet we'd like to have better bennies but we learned our lesson as so many more have... while money makes the world go round it does not always make for a happy tech or tech family.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #286 on: Jul 07, 2010, 05:09 »
When the mortgage company calls and says where's my $1500,I tell them I'll only pay $1000. Call me back when you'll except $1000. The wife and kids say I'm hungry can we eat today? I say no you ate yesterday come back and see if we have food tommorrow.At some point I have to decide if I can live on Mike's love. I understand the intent but not all households have the same cash flow.

Amen!

nukewood

« Reply #287 on: Jul 07, 2010, 06:29 »
Camella, I agree with you,in part, and with Mike,in part. There are many qualified commercial techs working for $25/hr who are intimidated by taking the CORE test ,which would enable them to make $35/hr or more. But there are also techs,like me, who are working away from home at a DOE site for good money but realizing that I can't walk slow enough nor put up with the petty BS that one has to put up with in a strong union " entitlement " environment. I survive by dwelling on the positive, the best I can , and driving home 300 miles as often as I can.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #288 on: Jul 07, 2010, 07:05 »
When the mortgage company calls and says where's my $1500,I tell them I'll only pay $1000. Call me back when you'll except $1000. The wife and kids say I'm hungry can we eat today? I say no you ate yesterday come back and see if we have food tommorrow.At some point I have to decide if I can live on Mike's love. I understand the intent but not all households have the same cash flow.

You have a good point also. But what if you didn't NEED to accept any offer that comes along?  It is a paradox that those who can afford the least pay the most.  People who can afford to pay cash get 0% loans, while those who can't afford to pay get to borrow at 29% and up.  The same principle is true for the job market.  The more you NEED the money, the less money they have to pay to get you.
The power in any relationship rests with the one who needs it least.
If you can afford to pass on the low paying jobs, you will get the higher paying ones.  Still a paradox.  
I was more like you.  I took the going rate because I needed to keep afloat.  The going rate kept me floating in a very shallow pool.  So, I found myself in a situation where there were two employers calling me.  One was dead certain to call and keep me working for $20-24 an hour with "adequate" per diem.  The other was less certain to call, but offered a far better wage and GSA per diem.  The second guy would tell me that I should work for the first if I really needed the work.  I always told him that I'd rather wait than commit to a $24 job.  It made my wife a little nervous every August when I still had no outage lined up and was turning down Employer #1.  But I knew that Employer #2 would probably call, and if he didn't the other guys would be calling again anyway.  She isn't nervous anymore, and the mortgage isn't deciding my future for me anymore.

Here's a little advice.  Take it or leave it.  Organize your finances so that you can live on less than you make.  Get a little more self confidence. You really are worth more than $22/hr.

Choice=competition.  Competition is good for the marketplace.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #289 on: Jul 07, 2010, 08:28 »
I just have to say something here. First, I work where I like to work even though it may not be the highest paying job out there.  There is more to life than money. One thing you will never hear me say is that I don't make enough. I took the job at what ever rate they were paying and I will never complain about the pay. I Love my family more than anything else so I work close to home to be near them and I go home every weekend. I could be at SRS or any other DOE site making 35 or more but I just prefer Commercial Power over DOE. I have worked at both and I can pass the Core Test and the NUF. The way I see it everyone has to decide what is best for them.

I was a UNion member when I worked in the grocery business before I became an HP in 1981. They treated me good at Big Star Foods and I sincerely believe it was because of Retail Clerks International. I worked there before we were unionized and after. WE signed cards and the NLRB was petitioned and they(the Union) bargained for us. It meant more money and better benefits and didn't cost that much really. I believe we paid about 1.25 per week union dues. ( Could be wrong me memory isnt as good as it used to be). Anyway the people that represented us in our endeavor to become union members were open, answered any questions that we had, and if they didn't know the answer they simply said so. They didn't promise us things that they weren't sure they could get. In reality they didn't promise us anything, because they didn't know what would come from the collective bargaining agreement. However they did get us a lot, like more money and better working conditions.  I was for the union in 1990 and I will back a union now but not until    the folks that do the talking for NPUA, on here or wherever stop promising that they can get a certain amount of pay, and say that they want to try to get that amount. All they can really do at this time is talk about what they hope to achieve. Once they get to the bargaining table then we will all find out together just how much money and benefits the NPUA can get for their members. Just don't forget that contracts are bid in advance, and most of the fall and some spring outage contracts are already bid on and won. I doubt that I3 and the NPUA have the back-up contracts at most of these so they may not be able to put everyone that holds out to work making the big bucks. I hope they can but I will have to see it to believe it. Remember that it isn't good to bite the hand that feeds you because if all this falls through then you may have to go back to work for a company that may not pay what you think you are worth. So I say, get it together and stop making promises that you may not be able to keep. Tell folks what you want to do but don't promise something that you may not be able to deliver. Doing so will only make it all fall through again just like 1990, which will only make it worse for the ones that are left on the road.  Ok I am going to get off my soapbox now. "A Minute to Win It" is on and I want to watch it.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 06:12 by HenryBlack »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #290 on: Jul 07, 2010, 09:40 »
 I was for the union in 1990 and I will back a union now but not until    the folks that do the talking for NPUA, on here or wherever begin to tell the truth about what they can do for members. All they can really do at this time is make idle promises. So I say, get it together and stop making promises that you may not be able to keep. Tell folks the truth about what you can do, or what you want to do but don't promise something that you may not be able to deliver.

I personally know people that have worked NPUA supported outages and were paid far better than the other non-NPUA outages. They have accomplished something, a start.

That being said, I think to say that they are making idle promisses that may not be able to be kept is an uninformed statement. Getting people interested by talking about what could be available is different than making promisses. And the figures they talk about are not "Pie in the sky" figures. They are based on what they perceive as the market value of a traveling nuke worker. I am sure that "represented" workers salaries were taken into account, so my point is that they are not pulling it out of thin air and then making a promise to any of us. They have a goal package in mind and they are striving to achieve it. Letting you know what that goal is, is not promissing that they are going to get it for you.

I would also like to see the accusation of lying qualified. I have not known the NPUA to do anything but give me truthfull information. So if you have an example of something different, you should share it with us.

I'm not trying to start anything here Henry. Some of your post felt misguided. Since the NPUA has so many harsh critics on here, I feel compelled to at least have statements like these qualified so the rest know what they are based on. Statements like these will stick with people and help form their opinions on the NPUA. Most people only need the opinion of another to form their own without ever looking into it themselves.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

MR BIG

« Reply #291 on: Jul 07, 2010, 10:49 »
I personally know people that have worked NPUA supported outages and were paid far better than the other non-NPUA outages. They have accomplished something, a start.

That being said, I think to say that they are making idle promisses that may not be able to be kept is an uninformed statement. Getting people interested by talking about what could be available is different than making promisses. And the figures they talk about are not "Pie in the sky" figures. They are based on what they perceive as the market value of a traveling nuke worker. I am sure that "represented" workers salaries were taken into account, so my point is that they are not pulling it out of thin air and then making a promise to any of us. They have a goal package in mind and they are striving to achieve it. Letting you know what that goal is, is not promissing that they are going to get it for you.

I would also like to see the accusation of lying qualified. I have not known the NPUA to do anything but give me truthfull information. So if you have an example of something different, you should share it with us.

I'm not trying to start anything here Henry. Some of your post felt misguided. Since the NPUA has so many harsh critics on here, I feel compelled to at least have statements like these qualified so the rest know what they are based on. Statements like these will stick with people and help form their opinions on the NPUA. Most people only need the opinion of another to form their own without ever looking into it themselves.

Very well said, Brett! Henry, don't get mad or take it personally, but you make accusations without any facts or real knowledge of the truth. Please research the FACTS before you start throwing your opinions out there. Just something I noticed. Again, don't get offended. We ALL want to make our lives better, whether it's near home or far away on the road.
Good Luck everybody I wish us the best.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #292 on: Jul 08, 2010, 04:59 »
ROFLMAO,

Those Bastards....They wiped out my posting....... :'(

RG!

PS:  EB should not have moderator privileges..... :D
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 05:03 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #293 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:25 »
Okay I edited my post and took the word "truth" out of it. I was saying what I percieved as the truth after reading all of the post here and on the NPUA website.  
Very well said, Brett! Henry, don't get mad or take it personally, but you make accusations without any facts or real knowledge of the truth. Please research the FACTS before you start throwing your opinions out there. Just something I noticed. Again, don't get offended. We ALL want to make our lives better, whether it's near home or far away on the road.
Good Luck everybody I wish us the best.
Mr. Big I don't know who you are because you hide behind a screen name, but evidently you don't know me because, if you did then you would know that I don't get mad. Also I don't let something said in a chat room offend me either. You have your opinion and so do I, its just that everyone that reads mine really knows who said it. I say "Good Luck to you all" too, because what you fail at will eventually affect my life too.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 06:30 by HenryBlack »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #294 on: Jul 08, 2010, 08:48 »
I don't feel like the NPUA is promising anything that isn't a glaring type of issue.  I think what they are saying is, if we can get together the pay will go up to something that house techs, some outages, and DOE already pays.  To me that isn't an idle promise given the conditions here in 2010.  If things work out and enough people support the NPUA, the money will be there.  It is sorta like saying I'll be out to visit you if I can get the money for a plane ticket.  Well, there is a possibility I won't get that money, but I hope nobody calles me a liar if it makes sense.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  The state of the industry right now seems ripe for a substantial pay rise if we stick together and make some attempt to work jobs that pay more money/support the NPUA.  I understand why some people will take less money, and that is ok, I've done that too, albeit with a really rotten taste in my mouth. And I understand why some people choose not to support the NPUA/higher pay due to their own wants and needs.  That isn't my choice normally.  But don't let reality upset you; the fact is if we did band together (enough of us), pay would go up.  I think that is all the NPUA is really saying, and I believe that to be close to a 100% fact.  Doing it the right way and getting enough people together are the 2 major hurdles.  I'll do what I can when I can when conditions are favorable.

I'm not sure the NPUA is the perfect vehicle to get us where we want to be, but I do believe it can get us there if we can get the bus full enough.  That is the only part that isn't a given.  No moral finger pointing here at all, just a very probable outcome.

People get very opinionated to the point of cutting off nose to spite face.  Take the last 10 years of politics.  If you asked most Americans whether or not they want our country to fail in a general sense, you would get a resounding "NO!" hopefully.  But ask many a hard righty or lefty on whether they'ed like to see Bush or Obama fail, and some of them will actually admit they would like that very much.

stownsend

« Reply #295 on: Jul 08, 2010, 09:47 »

I hope I haven't stepped on any toes for stating my opinion about accepting jobs.I've been around well over thirty years have no problem passing tests.NRRPT/DOE/NUF.I agree with NPUA and have stated I will support them. I don't consider myself a crappy tech but if I need to work I make a choice of whats out there.

Offline Old Dude

• Very Lite User
« Reply #296 on: Jul 08, 2010, 01:39 »
To all Bartlett Technicians
A Bartlett tech is anyone who has worked for Bartlett in the last three years.
Please go to NPUA and sign an authorization card even if you have signed one in the past.
Once we (NPUA) receive 400 signed cards we will petition the NLRB for a union vote of Bartlett Inc.
The sooner we receive the cards the sooner we can become a union.

BTW $35/hr and conus pd is not a promise, however all of the last five NPUA contracts paid this amount.

As has been stated we negotiate a contract and the members vote on ratification. ;D

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #297 on: Jul 08, 2010, 03:59 »
Here is a link to the Authorization Card on their site, so you don't have to spend all day looking for it:

http://www.npua.org/upload/userfiles/file/Authorization_Card.pdf

Offline Old Dude

• Very Lite User
« Reply #298 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:02 »
Thanks Mike ;D ;D ;D

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #299 on: Jul 09, 2010, 11:59 »
From what I’ve read over the past few weeks on this thread has truly amazed me. For those who are trying to start a union. Save it. Since I’ve been in the business (1979), it has been tried and has failed on many a front. As HPs why hook your team up to a wagon that goes around in circles? Why get on board a sinking ship? You guys are way too selfish to ever support a union. Besides, does the good group of HPs who deserve the $35 an hour drag along those less deserving? Imagine the talk at the break table when a “union” brother is at the control point while the other “union” brother is sweating his balls off in the can. There are a thousand other examples of why it won’t work but I will spare you all.
Instead, think about it from a business sense. Obviously, demand drives supply so there is the first thing you need to think about. Do you think for one minute the Utilities are sitting back thinking “well, I guess we have to pay them more $$ cause their union”. Hell no. Utilities have been in cahoots for years. It’s in their best interest to stifle all unions. Putting the “union label” on the HP group only makes you knuckleheads a bigger threat to their profits. The death knell to HPs as you know them today would be going union. Why get into a club where it’s been in steady decline for the last twenty years. Hello! Unions are on the way out. Bought a car lately? Worked at an outage with union workers? How hard is it to get things done?
Your union organizer needs to change things from starting up a union to starting up a corporation which represents HPs. Each HP can join and have their record of employment be their market value. Why drag down the value of good HPs with bad ones. Have those $20 something an hour pukes take those lower paying jobs. Faster, organized outages are done better with professionals. That’s how you market  HPs. That’s how you sell the value of the service. You want work all of the time? Do a good job. Create a worth for your services. Be a marketable entity. Slap a union sticker on your product and see how far that takes you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?