Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPUA honeypot

Author Topic: NPUA  (Read 384190 times)

Offline Incline

• Light User
Re: NPUA
« Reply #500 on: Sep 24, 2010, 01:23 »
 I had something similar happen to me a few years ago when I worked for Bartlett. I was at a site for 8 months, laid off for three weeks at christmas, came back to the site and after 4 months had my per diem pulled because i was not at away for 8 continuous weeks. I asked about vacation not long after that and was told that since I was laid off, I did not qualify for vacation. I still think they owe me travel pay, even though i went house.javascript:void(0);

I am for the road techs going union to get better wages and benefits, but i still think many people are right in that contract companies will lose contracts to low-ball non-union outfits. The only way i can see to prevent it from happening is to negotiate with the utility and the contractor. It's kinda the damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #501 on: Sep 24, 2010, 05:59 »
Henry, I worked long term (over 2 yrs) at Browns Ferry for Bartlett. Have worked for them for quite a few years and am used to asking the usual questions when accepting job assignments; what's the hourly pay/per diem/length of assignment/hours worked? Never thought there wouldn't be any vacation or holiday pay, thought it was standard with Bartlett to give some type of vacation pay after working some much time and at least some holiday pay; we didn't even get the plant recognized holidays as paid.

I am sure it depends on the contract at the place you are working. Vacation and holidays are bid in the contracts, or that is what I was led to believe. So you may get it one place and not at another. I don't know since I have nothing to do with Bids, I am just a lowly RP Tech struggling to make a living.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #502 on: Sep 24, 2010, 10:25 »
Henry,
         You are fortunate to have 7 reactors and DOE work all so close to your home.  A lot of technicians have to travel hundreds or thousands of miles from their families to be able to work year round.  It is not financially worth it to totally relocate for a less than 5 year assignment especially with no relocation package.  I am working year round but have changed sites and utilities to do so.  Therefore no vacation pay and I have been at my own home 6 days in the last 12 months. We all do not have the option to stay long term and change sites to maintain Per Diem.  Lets face it the days of the long term contractor are gone at most utilities.  The changes to the unemployment laws have not helped either.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #503 on: Sep 24, 2010, 11:02 »
Henry,
         You are fortunate to have 7 reactors and DOE work all so close to your home.  A lot of technicians have to travel hundreds or thousands of miles from their families to be able to work year round.  It is not financially worth it to totally relocate for a less than 5 year assignment especially with no relocation package.  I am working year round but have changed sites and utilities to do so.  Therefore no vacation pay and I have been at my own home 6 days in the last 12 months. We all do not have the option to stay long term and change sites to maintain Per Diem.  Lets face it the days of the long term contractor are gone at most utilities.  The changes to the unemployment laws have not helped either.

You are correct that I am fortunate to have a bunch of reactors near me. There are roughly 16 reactors near me at least within 4 hours drive. I am thankful that I can stay near home. I have traveled for many years and I know what it does to a family. I will PM you with some info that might affect you. Take care and be safe!  Henry

MR BIG

« Reply #504 on: Sep 29, 2010, 12:29 »

Bartlett was recently awarded the EXCEL contracts which were previously Atlantic's and it involved a loss of returnee, safety and long term retention bonuses.  It also was a 10% pay cut from the previous contract.  This would be moving in the wrong direction

Well said, tech.
That's my point Eric. How can you say you are working towards increasing our wages and benefits when it has been proven in the last year of wages going DOWN after you took over from Atlantic? Can you explain that?

LaFeet

« Reply #505 on: Sep 29, 2010, 05:09 »
If you search for it you may find it.  I am working at over 35 dollars an hour and have been doing so for some time.  My per diem will expire next year at which time I start drawing the  taxable "Field Pay".

As for working for Barltett, Atlantic or being a part of the NPUA, I am looking out for myself and hope that my coworkers fair as well as I am.

And yes -  I am worth way more than 35 $/hr..... and I have the tattoo to prove it

Peace all and good luck

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #506 on: Oct 11, 2010, 03:21 »
Saw this post while cruising the NPUA site.......

ALL SR/JR RPs, DECONTAMINATION, ALARA and DOSIMETRY TECHNICIANS

All technicians full or part-time who have worked three (3) or more outages for DZ Atlantic within the two (2) year period between August 29, 2008 and August 29, 2010 are eligible to vote in the election being conducted by the National Labor Relations Board. You can either vote at a DZ Atlantic staffed nuclear power plant (ie. Beaver Valley, Palisades, Palo Verde) or if you are not at one of these sites, you will be able to vote by mail; ballots will be mailed to your home of record. If you do not receive a ballot by 10-27-2010 and you believe you are eligible to vote, then contact the National Labor Relations Board toll free @ 1-866-667-6572.

Your ballots must be returned and received in the National Labor Relations Board office by 16:30 hours on 11-12-2010.

Please return the ballots with a YES vote.

This is the time for all technicians to come together and make a stand to bring our power plant wages up to those currently being received at the DOE sites. With the responsibility we have at the power plants, aren't you tired of being one of the lowest paid craft on site? (Yes, craft is how we are viewed by DZ Atlantic....just look for a job on their web site.)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #507 on: Oct 11, 2010, 03:37 »
This is the time for all technicians to come together and make a stand to bring our power plant wages up to those currently being received at the DOE sites. With the responsibility we have at the power plants, aren't you tired of being one of the lowest paid craft on site? (Yes, craft is how we are viewed by DZ Atlantic....just look for a job on their web site.)

Whats wrong with being a master craftsman?  You seem to imply that you are somehow better than a craft person.  I'm sure that I'm misunderstanding your post.  There is no way you would think that you are better than a craft worker. -- But it sure sounds that way.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #508 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:42 »
The guys here that are laborers and helpers make more than a senior.  Not master craftmen.  I think we are more technical than craft.  We are not better,  but we are not the same.  We have more responsibility.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #509 on: Oct 11, 2010, 05:47 »
The guys here ... make more than a senior.  Not master craftmen.  I think we are more technical than craft.  … We have more responsibility.

Just so we are on the same page, “Craft” is more than laborers and helpers.  According to the dictionary, a craft is an occupation requiring special manual skills and abilities. For example the craft of an Asbestos Worker, Boilermaker, Bricklayer, Carpenter, Cement Mason, Electrician, Ironworker, Laborer, Millwright, Operator, Painter, Pipefitter, Plumber, Roofer, Sheet Metal Worker, Sprinkler Fitter, or Teamster.

If a carpenter has a bad day, I could die from a bad scaffold.  If an electrician has a bad day…  But if an RP tech has a bad day?  I might have to spend an extra hour in the shower or body counter.  Do you have any idea how ‘technical’ the job of an electrician is?  Do you have any idea what their level of responsibility is?  You are attacking ALL craft workers.  You are wrong.  You might have more responsibility than a laborer… but you attacking every craft worker that made this country.

You have been in the business since the IRM days, and seen many coworkers get old and die.  You have a lot of experience and knowledge.  You’ve been an active member of this site since we started.  – But seriously, you should re-evaluate your position of superiority versus all craft workers.  It just makes you look ignorant, instead of the wise man you are.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 06:00 by Rennhack »

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #510 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:25 »
I am not saying I am superior to craft. you are putting words in my mouth. My father was a diesel mechanic, WHO was recognized by for being able to tear down a rebuild a Detroit Diesel faster than any one in The North East in the seventies.  I have always been proud of him and the work he did. IN reference to the bad day part you forgot fired, fined and being Tech A in OE that gets to hang around long after you retire.
I think cairnit is just pointing out that we are the lowest paid at many plants.  Futhermore cairnit's spouse is craft.
Did you miss the sentence where I said we are not better ? I know electrican's and other highly skilled craft have important jobs. Everyones part is important including the person who cleans the locker room to the shift supervisor.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 06:33 by techtoolong »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #511 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:10 »
Just so we are on the same page, “Craft” is more than laborers and helpers.  According to the dictionary, a craft is an occupation requiring special manual skills and abilities. For example the craft of an Asbestos Worker, Boilermaker, Bricklayer, Carpenter, Cement Mason, Electrician, Ironworker, Laborer, Millwright, Operator, Painter, Pipefitter, Plumber, Roofer, Sheet Metal Worker, Sprinkler Fitter, or Teamster.

If a carpenter has a bad day, I could die from a bad scaffold.  If an electrician has a bad day…  But if an RP tech has a bad day?  I might have to spend an extra hour in the shower or body counter.  Do you have any idea how ‘technical’ the job of an electrician is?  Do you have any idea what their level of responsibility is?  You are attacking ALL craft workers.  You are wrong.  You might have more responsibility than a laborer… but you attacking every craft worker that made this country.

You have been in the business since the IRM days, and seen many coworkers get old and die.  You have a lot of experience and knowledge.  You’ve been an active member of this site since we started.  – But seriously, you should re-evaluate your position of superiority versus all craft workers.  It just makes you look ignorant, instead of the wise man you are.

Not splitting hairs here, but if a tech has a bad day at the site I work at, you may be heading for chelation therapy. Likewise, you should not play down the level of responsibility RP's have. Generally we are the "go-to" people on site. Where I work, we are responsible for the RP stuff, RNOC controls, medical first response, basically any emergency first response. We help plan the jobs and then control the jobs. If someone needs to use the restroom, they are directed to RP.
Also keep in mind that the controls I provide fullfill a federal regulation for which I can be held personally responsible for when Joe Blow gets a puncture wound and an additional 75 rem of exposure to take home with him.

We all have responsibilities, that term doesn't have to mean "with life threatening consequences" like you imply. It also means having the answers as a designated point person during an outage. To say that RP's have more responsibilities than the next craft worker would be generally true in my opinion. I guess it's all how you read into what the poster was trying to say. And none of that should come accross as high-brow, they are just the facts. And none of that tells anyone that electricians or carpenters aren't important, just that they gennerally carry less responsibility on site. The responsibilities that they do have are important obviously, but they are also very narrow compared to Rad Protection.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #512 on: Oct 12, 2010, 07:32 »
I am not saying I am superior to craft. you are putting words in my mouth. ...
I think cairnit is just pointing out that we are the lowest paid at many plants.  Futhermore cairnit's spouse is craft.
Did you miss the sentence where I said we are not better ? I know electrican's and other highly skilled craft have important jobs. Everyones part is important including the person who cleans the locker room to the shift supervisor.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth.  I'm just telling you how your words came across to me.  That's the thing with these words with no sound or inflection.  Some times its hard to get the exact intent. -- Which is why I tried to get clarification.

Likewise, you should not play down the level of responsibility RP's have.

We all have responsibilities, that term doesn't have to mean "with life threatening consequences" like you imply.

As an ANSI 3.1 RP & DOE RCT myself, I understand the level of responsibility RP's have. It shouldn't be downplayed, but it shouldn't be over played either.  When people start saying they are more responsible than anyone else on site and berate people for being craft, I have to throw the Bullshit flag.  Especially when the 'lowly craft' have "life threatening consequences" responsibilities.

I don't discount OUR responsibilities as RP's.  But I don't talk crap about craft either.  RP's are not super-humans, that are better than CRAFT (i.e. electricians) in any way. RP's should get paid a fair wage, and they do... just not at power plants.  If everyone went to the $35-$38/hr DOE jobs for just one outage season... the wages would be right where you want them to be at the power plants.  -- No messy votes, or negative berating of others required.  -- That's all I'm saying.  -- You can get there without stepping on others.

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #513 on: Oct 12, 2010, 01:32 »
Just so we are on the same page, “Craft” is more than laborers and helpers.

I believe techtoolong is intelligent enough to understand that there are other craft workers then just laborers and helpers and that those other craft can have a mastercraftsman designation, however the specific point being made was that the laborers and helpers at the power plant this individual is currently working at are making more than 3.1 Contract Sr. Technicians.

RP's should get paid a fair wage, and they do... just not at power plants. 

This was what the original message was talking about that I posted. As I said, I saw the info on the NPUA website about the vote and thought someone interested in voting might be left out of being heard in the vote. Everyone who votes get a choice to vote yes or no. Also in the past on this site when we (RPs) have been refered to as craft workers there were people on the site that stated that me were not craft workers so it was pointed out that the DZ Atlantic website has our jobs listed as craft not technical.

I'm sure the craft workers I work with don't consider the techs performing job coverage as craft workers, and more of the power plants have started requiring specific work attire such as collared shirts and no blue jeans. Haven't heard of the contract craft workers as having that requirement for walking the halls of the plant (not talking about flash protection or fire retardant clothing for performing specfic job functions). I understand the idea of acting and dressing as a professional, but most professionals make higher than a laborers wage.

Many of us did work the DOE sites, but our year was up so we left. We know the shortage will increase the wages, at some point. There are strong feelings about the vote, if you qualify then vote the way you feel. Just don't whine if you don't take advantage of the opportunity to voice your opinion and the vote doesn't go your way (kind of like with the government elections).

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #514 on: Oct 12, 2010, 02:05 »
Cairnit,

Thank you for clarifying your post.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #515 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:56 »
The DZ Atlantic national election has begun. This is the first major step for us to receive a living wage from both Dz Atlantic and Bartlett. For those receiving a postal mail ballot, please vote and return them asap in the postal mail. The ballots must be in Minneapolis, Minnesota by November 13th, 2010.

DZ Atlantic Vote
Who is eligible to vote?

All full-time and part-time SR, JR RP techs, decon techs, Alara Techs and Dosimeter Techs employed by DZ Atlantic who have worked 3 or more outages for DZ Atlantic within the 24 month period preceding August 29, 2010

If you believe you are an eligible voter and do not receive a ballot in the mail by
October 12, 2010 communicate immediately with the National Labor Relations Board
Suite 790, 330 South Second Avenue, Minneapolis, Mn 55401
Telephone 612-348-1757 or Toll Free1-866-667-6572

No matter if you want to vote "yes" or "no", you should get your ballot and vote. Just because you don't want the NPUA representing you is not an excuse not to vote.

Offline tymekeeper

• Light User
« Reply #516 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:21 »
Very good point Henry. Finally, a voice of reason seldom seen in this thread.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #517 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:28 »

To sign a authorization card go to NPUA home page
Select members area drop down menu
Select Join NPUA
Select new authorization card sign up
click on Authorization card,  fill it out and submit

It is that easy 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 11:29 by techtoolong »

MR BIG

« Reply #518 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:32 »
To sign a authorization card go to NPUA home page
Select members area drop down menu
Select Join NPUA
Select new authorization card sign up
click on Authorization card,  fill it out and submit

It is that easy 8)

That's right. But if you bring up the Home page there is a link button at the bottom of the front page that says "Authorization Card" Just click on it and follow the 3 simple steps. No matter if you have signed a card before, everyone needs to fill one out at each outage they go to. It now only takes about 3 minutes to fill out online. Simple. And NO you are not joining the Union by filling out a card.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #519 on: Oct 24, 2010, 12:03 »
So what are you doing when you sign an authorization card, except to authorize the union to negotiate for you.  That sounds like joining the union to me, and is slightly similar to card check, in a back door kind of way.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

My next question is if the union is negotiating for wages, then what do we need the contract companies for?  Usually, the company with union people bids to do a job, such as change out a transformer or refuel the plant, but with HP's all they do is provide people to work for and along side the house people, under the direction of the house, for whatever the house decides.  The Business Agent (BA) finds the jobs for the workers and places them according to seniority, so no more talking to Kristie or Roxanne, or if you are Bartlett, Scott, Joey, etc.  As a matter of fact, you would be prohibited from talking to these people except through the BA.  Again, correct me if I am wrong.  Understand, and bear with me, as I haven't been able to read the entire thread.

Another question of mine is how this will affect current union contracts, such as Salem, where it is in their contract with the house techs that the contractors will belong to their union.  Will you have to belong to both?  Pay dues to both?  Follow both contracts?  If there is a conflict, which union wins?

Finally, for this thread, will we have union stewards at each site for NPUA?  How will they be chosen, since the people for the outage change from outage to outage, and what happens if a previously elected or appointed steward isn't selected for that outage?  Will they have the seniority to bump another tech from that outage so a steward will be present?

Again, I haven't read the entire thread, but will continue to try (it is a long thread).  If ony of my questions have been answered in previous posts, please post the link or send it to me.  Thanks.

Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #520 on: Oct 24, 2010, 12:05 »
Am I supposed to fill out an authorization card in order to receive a ballot in the mail for the current labor vote?

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #521 on: Oct 24, 2010, 02:47 »
Thanks, Marssim, that was helpful.  It didn't answer my questions one bit, but it was helpful in directing me to that website.  I know, I should have looked at it first, but so far in my journey I have only uncovered more questions and some big concerns about this union.

For instance, quoting from the union constitution, it states in Article XIII,

"Assessments

Section 1. From time to time the Executive Board may deem it necessary to levy an assessment on all members of the NPUA to support NPUA activities and/or meet NPUA expenses.

Section 2. All assessments imposed in accordance with the NPUA Constitution and Bylaws must be paid within the time determined by the Executive Board and payment is required to protect the member's continuous good standing and benefits.

Section 3. Members shall not be required to pay assessments for welfare benefits in which they cannot participate."

So an order from the executive board could require me to pay the union should the union spend more than it takes in, regardless of whether or not they have been frugal with our money?  Some might say it is ok because it will only benefit us, but what if the board authorizes something to be paid to promote the union, or train the officers, etc. and then don't have enough left over for the normal expenses that would providee benefits?

Another problem that I have with the constitution is the pay for the officers.  Again I quote:

"ARTICLE XIV – SALARIES AND EXPENSES
Section 1. The salary of the President shall be 145% of the highest wage secured for the members of the NPUA through collective bargaining. The salary will be based on a standard work week of 54 hours. The salary will be paid in biweekly amounts."

I don't know about you, but I don't work 54 hours every week of the year.  I could see the salaries being paid as 145% of the prevailing wage, but this is a little high compared with the standard worker compensation.

Just my thoughts.

Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #522 on: Oct 24, 2010, 10:37 »
If my pay goes up I do not care what the Union President makes  :) 

longbow55

« Reply #523 on: Oct 24, 2010, 04:21 »

What a great deal. I decide how much my salary is and other people work to pay me. Where do I sign up?

Or do I just run for Congress?

No one is seriously okay with this are they? 

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #524 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:41 »
I'd be fine with it as long as he was fairly elected.

Wonder when the election is going to be?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?