Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPUA honeypot

Author Topic: NPUA  (Read 384174 times)

MR BIG

Re: NPUA
« Reply #525 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:31 »
What a great deal. I decide how much my salary is and other people work to pay me. Where do I sign up?

Or do I just run for Congress?

No one is seriously okay with this are they? 

So do you ask every single company President that you have ever worked for what they make?
My guess is ...........NOT.

Let's see, if a person or persons implement something that will increase my income by $20,000 to $30,000 a year, do I really care what that person makes? Myself, I could care less what they make if they were responsible for getting me that extra income. I just increased my income . It didn't cost me a dime. It INCREASED my income. Get it? Anyone with common sense and can add SHOULD be able to figure that out. But then again there are actually people in this world that have a poverty spirit that they live under. And all a poverty spirit is.......is simply WRONG THINKING.

I am seriously OK with that. As Forrest Gump says "stupid is as stupid does". I would hope most RPs & Deconners aren't that stupid. But then again............????

MR BIG

« Reply #526 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:35 »
So what are you doing when you sign an authorization card, except to authorize the union to negotiate for you.  That sounds like joining the union to me, and is slightly similar to card check, in a back door kind of way.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

My next question is if the union is negotiating for wages, then what do we need the contract companies for?  Usually, the company with union people bids to do a job, such as change out a transformer or refuel the plant, but with HP's all they do is provide people to work for and along side the house people, under the direction of the house, for whatever the house decides.  The Business Agent (BA) finds the jobs for the workers and places them according to seniority, so no more talking to Kristie or Roxanne, or if you are Bartlett, Scott, Joey, etc.  As a matter of fact, you would be prohibited from talking to these people except through the BA.  Again, correct me if I am wrong.  Understand, and bear with me, as I haven't been able to read the entire thread.

Another question of mine is how this will affect current union contracts, such as Salem, where it is in their contract with the house techs that the contractors will belong to their union.  Will you have to belong to both?  Pay dues to both?  Follow both contracts?  If there is a conflict, which union wins?

Finally, for this thread, will we have union stewards at each site for NPUA?  How will they be chosen, since the people for the outage change from outage to outage, and what happens if a previously elected or appointed steward isn't selected for that outage?  Will they have the seniority to bump another tech from that outage so a steward will be present?

Again, I haven't read the entire thread, but will continue to try (it is a long thread).  If ony of my questions have been answered in previous posts, please post the link or send it to me.  Thanks.

Go to www.npua.org and register on the Forum. Its free and anonymous. Post your questions there and they will be addressed.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #527 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:50 »
Suggestion, MR BIG, if you want to win an arguement, the first rule is don't call the other person stupid.  I know you didn't directly call me stupid, but since I was thinking the same thing... 

It isn't free if we have to pay for it, and we do.  It isn't a company.  It isn't ok with me if several people are making twice the money I am making living off my dues and the dues of less than 2000 others.  I could see it if they were in charge of the IBEW, but you are talking about a union the size of most locals. 

I may join the forum at NPUA, or I may not.  I posed the questions here since here is where I already am registered.  I have had companies ask if I wanted to work at a place just so they could show the client they had enough people.  I'm not saying this is the case, but until I get some answers to my questions this union is a lost cause in my mind.  Just my opinion, and subject to change.
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

longbow55

« Reply #528 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:39 »
So do you ask every single company President that you have ever worked for what they make?

Let's see, if a person or persons implement something that will increase my income by $20,000 to $30,000 a year, do I really care what that person makes? Myself, I could care less what they make if they were responsible for getting me that extra income. I just increased my income . It didn't cost me a dime. It INCREASED my income. Get it? Anyone with common sense and can add SHOULD be able to figure that out. But then again there are actually people in this world that have a poverty spirit that they live under. And all a poverty spirit is.......is simply WRONG THINKING.

I am seriously OK with that. As Forrest Gump says "stupid is as stupid does". I would hope most RPs & Deconners aren't that stupid. But then again............????

So you think I'm stupid do you???????? You must have talked to my wife at some point!  8)   :->

Seriously, this post does not warrant any reply except sarcasm. Good luck in your endeavors.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #529 on: Oct 25, 2010, 03:05 »

This same type of attitude towards what Presidents/CEO's/CFO's etc make is what helped lead this country down a scary road which included bank going under, car companies borrowing money from the government, etc.

As far as I am concerned, all union members SHOULD be aware and concerned over whatever is going on within their union; to not be fully educated and involved is both irresponsible and naive not to mention stupid.

MR BIG

« Reply #530 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:07 »
Suggestion, MR BIG, if you want to win an arguement, the first rule is don't call the other person stupid.  I know you didn't directly call me stupid, but since I was thinking the same thing... 

It isn't free if we have to pay for it, and we do.  It isn't a company.  It isn't ok with me if several people are making twice the money I am making living off my dues and the dues of less than 2000 others.  I could see it if they were in charge of the IBEW, but you are talking about a union the size of most locals. 

I may join the forum at NPUA, or I may not.  I posed the questions here since here is where I already am registered.  I have had companies ask if I wanted to work at a place just so they could show the client they had enough people.  I'm not saying this is the case, but until I get some answers to my questions this union is a lost cause in my mind.  Just my opinion, and subject to change.

No, I WAS NOT calling you stupid. I apologize if you took it that way. I was calling that line of thinking stupid. Meaning.....having an opportunity to increase my income and not take advantage of that.. Sorry again if you took it personal.

MR BIG

« Reply #531 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:17 »

This same type of attitude towards what Presidents/CEO's/CFO's etc make is what helped lead this country down a scary road which included bank going under, car companies borrowing money from the government, etc.

As far as I am concerned, all union members SHOULD be aware and concerned over whatever is going on within their union; to not be fully educated and involved is both irresponsible and naive not to mention stupid.

I agree with what you say here, but this isn't apples to apples. My government isn't INCREASING my income. They are raising prices and keeping my wages down. Shareholder equity is tanking. And your right "get fully educated". I'll wager 90% of the people that post here and have already formed an opinion about how terrible this effort is, have taken very little time, if any, to go to the web site to read through all the information. Or called Kevin with their questions. That is human nature for the most part. Fly off with an opinion before I get ALL the facts. I know.....I have done it numerous times in the past. Again, get educated on it and then you have a much better perspective of reasoning behind it. Good luck to everyone. Aren't we ALL supposed to be in this together? Why is there so much division? Sounds like our government, huh?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #532 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:10 »
I agree with what you say here, but this isn't apples to apples. My government isn't INCREASING my income. They are raising prices and keeping my wages down. Shareholder equity is tanking. And your right "get fully educated". I'll wager 90% of the people that post here and have already formed an opinion about how terrible this effort is, have taken very little time, if any, to go to the web site to read through all the information. Or called Kevin with their questions. That is human nature for the most part. Fly off with an opinion before I get ALL the facts. I know.....I have done it numerous times in the past. Again, get educated on it and then you have a much better perspective of reasoning behind it. Good luck to everyone. Aren't we ALL supposed to be in this together? Why is there so much division? Sounds like our government, huh?

Mr. Big, I agree that we should all get the facts but for some it has been very, very hard. I have corresponded with both Kevin and Frank and all I will say is that Frank gave me the most informative reply. As far as the "90%" of people posting here forming an opinion; I believe that has been caused by the attitude of many of the NPUA supporters.

Yes we are all suppose to be in this together, but sadly I don't believe we ever will.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #533 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:30 »
I find that when everyone is "supposed to be in it together" you've got a great recipe for protected mediocrity.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #534 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:48 »
I find that when everyone is "supposed to be in it together" you've got a great recipe for protected mediocrity.

Couldn't have said it better... [pigfly]

Offline fschip

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #535 on: Oct 27, 2010, 06:57 »

yes they should which is why the compensation for officers is out in the open for everyone to read.,...just curious if you can find the compensation for the president of bartlett nuclear or dz atlantic as easily as the proposed compensation for the npua officers? i say proposed because no officer has drawn or is drawing compensation:):)
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 06:58 by fschip »

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #536 on: Oct 28, 2010, 09:08 »

yes they should which is why the compensation for officers is out in the open for everyone to read.,...just curious if you can find the compensation for the president of Bartlett nuclear or dz Atlantic as easily as the proposed compensation for the npua officers? i say proposed because no officer has drawn or is drawing compensation:):)

I believe the reason that the NPUA should post the officers salaries and Bartlett doesn't have to is this:
The NPUA is not a "Company" even though that is what most people on here call it. If it is a  legitimate Union then it is an organization that is ran by officers; voted on by the members, paid by the members, and backed by the members, and governed by laws that require everything to be out in the open. I would be willing to bet that if it wasn't a law then their salaries would not be as easy to find either.
Bartlett on the other hand is a "Company" owned by a conglomerate of people and/or investor companies. The employees of most companies have nothing to do with the salaries of the CEO or President or whatever you want to call them. The Board of Directors set those salaries. If you know where to look and what to ask then you can find their salaries also.
What I am saying in a nutshell is: If The NPUA is a company then stop calling it a union, but if it is a Union then stop calling it a Company. The NPUA doesn't bid on contracts with utilities, they agree to terms of  contracts with companies that bid on contracts with utilities.
I hope this makes sense!

Offline AARPSHP

• Light User
« Reply #537 on: Oct 29, 2010, 10:25 »
Who is paying the salaries of the current NPUA officers?

My last few jobs I have got only 60 hour weeks not 72 hour weeks.   Even if you get a increase in pay and get a decrease in hours the numbers do not work out all the time.

Why is Mr Big so crabby all the time?

Offline nukems

• Light User
« Reply #538 on: Nov 01, 2010, 02:51 »
The DZ Atlantic national election has begun. This is the first major step for us to receive a living wage from both Dz Atlantic and Bartlett. For those receiving a postal mail ballot, please vote and return them asap in the postal mail. The ballots must be in Minneapolis, Minnesota by November 13th, 2010.

DZ Atlantic Vote
Who is eligible to vote?

All full-time and part-time SR, JR RP techs, decon techs, Alara Techs and Dosimeter Techs employed by DZ Atlantic who have worked 3 or more outages for DZ Atlantic within the 24 month period preceding August 29, 2010

If you believe you are an eligible voter and do not receive a ballot in the mail by
October 12, 2010 communicate immediately with the National Labor Relations Board
Suite 790, 330 South Second Avenue, Minneapolis, Mn 55401
Telephone 612-348-1757 or Toll Free1-866-667-6572

Get those ballots in the mail

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #539 on: Nov 03, 2010, 12:40 »
Well said, tech.
That's my point Eric. How can you say you are working towards increasing our wages and benefits when it has been proven in the last year of wages going DOWN after you took over from Atlantic? Can you explain that?

First off I apologize for such a late reply to this question as I wanted to research the matter thoroughly before I gave an answer.   Now over the past couple of weeks I have been making inquiries to what was being paid prior to Bartlett taking over at the Xcel sites.  I’ve heard a myriad of rates, diem and bonus structures.   From what I can deduce out of the different answers I have received is that yes wages have gone down, diem was increased and the bonus monies have remained the same or even have been increased, but are being paid under different criteria than what was stated above (returnee, safety & long term retention).

As discussed yesterday via private e-mail you hit the nail on the head when you stated it all had something to do with the existing USA Alliance Agreement.   Bartlett has never intentionally "low balled" a bid. That is not in your best interest or Bartlett's.  However, these contracts are competitively bid.   Several factors affect bid pricing and pay rates. The requirements contained in the utility's Request For Proposal (RFP) often reflect the economic climate and the utility's own efforts to control costs; this inevitably affects bid responses and ultimately, pay rates.... On an overall basis, Bartlett has been successful with most utilities in negotiating wage and per diem increases on behalf of our technicians. We intend to continue this policy. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of success in any particular case. Each instance is a separate negotiation affected by utility specific economic concerns and perceptions.  

That is where Bartlett and the NPUA differ…Bartlett fully admits that we cannot guarantee higher wages as we are at the whim of the current economic climate and our clients perceptions of what is allowable where as the NPUA recklessly states they will guarantee $35/hr on every contract if they get voted in.  Trust me as a recruiter, as a 21 year member of this industry and as a Bartlett I would love to pay $35/hr for 3.1 SHP on each and every contract we have, as would every member of this company’s management team.  

I don’t know how many times I have to state the obvious – the more we pay, the more you make.  The more you make the more likely you will stay in the business.  The more we pay, the more attractive this industry is for new technicians to want to get into it.  The more people getting in and staying in this business the easier it is for Bartlett to staff and meet our contractual commitments.  And finally the more we pay, the more we can bill, which of course means the more we can make.  
 Now for the second part – Bartlett holds the negotiating power with the utility, not the NPUA.  The NPUA does not have a contract with the utility so they can promise $35/hr all they want, it will not guarantee that Bartlett’s clients will let us bill enough to pay that much.  If our client only lets us bill enough to pay $27/hr, guess what, NPUA or not all you are going to get is $27/hr.  The only thing that the NPUA can guarantee is that you will not be able to keep all of the money that you make while earning $27/hr because you will have to pay not only your set dues but also a % of what you have worked so hard to earn.  

Well there is my answer.  Now I have a question for the pro-union side.    Here is the hypothetical situation - John Doe is a card carrying member of the NPUA and lives next to Plant A, a non NPUA, non Union site.  Now Plant B, an NPUA Unionized site is having an outage the same time as Plant A.  If John Doe is offered and subsequently turns down a position at Plant B, the NPUA site, so that he could work Non-Union at his home site how does that affect Johns standing w/in the Union?  Similar situation except both sites are NPUA and Plant B shuts down and staffs 3-4 weeks prior to Plant A and also overlaps Plant A by 3 weeks.  John Doe is offered a slot at Plant B, but he turns it down trying to wait for Plant A.  Since he turned down “Union” work does he go to the bottom of the Union call list, possibly being too far down the list to be offered a slot at Plant A because he turned down a Union gig at Plant B.  

I’ve been asked these types of questions by numerous techs that for some reason think I have some insight as to how this “Union” will treat them in these circumstances so I figured I’d go to the best source I have at available – the Forum on Nukeworker.com (there’s a little plug for you Mike).  I would have gone to the NPUA website itself, but since one can not post on the NPUA website w/out becoming a site member, which I see no reason to ever do especially in light of how the top level Union Officers continuously spread lies and half truths about Bartlett, I have decided to keep the conversation going on nukeworker.com.  

As Always,
Eric

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010, 12:50 by Eric_Bartlett »
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #540 on: Nov 03, 2010, 12:49 »
“NPUA Authorization Card
We have published the NPUA fully electronic online Authorization Card just in time for the national organizing effort with Bartlett. You asked for it and we have delivered. Take the time to complete one this fall so that we can file the petition with the NLRB in January of 2011. We will need at least 400 people to use this form of Authorization Card in order for the NLRB to use it in our petition to get Bartlett to the negotiation table on a national basis.”

The above quote was taken from the NPUA’s Propaganda Site on 11/1/2010 –

What You Need to Know About Union Authorization Cards...

Before you sign up we wanted to make sure you were aware of a few important things that the NPUA has failed to mention in any of its internet postings or other union organizing materials. (1) we have confirmed with the National Labor Relations Board that the NLRB has never authorized an election to be held where the union’s petition was based upon electronic authorization cards; (2) the NPUA is using it sown software to “verify” signatures as opposed to an independent third party vendor which would prevent the possibility of fraud or forgery; and (3) the Board is only at the preliminary stages of even exploring the idea of “electronic” voting methods. 

Get the facts first before you put your name on a card.

A few more comments about the NPUA’s blatant attempt to circumvent the current process of requiring paper documents with signatures which need to be validated by the Board before a vote takes place.  Signing a union authorization card can be LEGALLY BINDING on you before the courts and the NLRB.  As a result, by signing a card, you may be signing away to the Union your right of choice.  You should read the card very carefully and understand the commitment that you make by signing the card.  After you have had an opportunity to learn all the facts about this Union and how it affects you, you may decide you do not want it to represent you.  By signing the authorization card now, however, you may be giving up your right to vote against the Union if you should later change your mind and find out that union representation is not in your best interest.  Unlike paper documents which contain your original signature, you can not just ask for you “electronic” signature back.   How could you get it back?  It has been already memorized in a computer file. 

Union organizers may lead you to believe that they can improve wages, benefits, working conditions, duration of assignments, etc. by getting you to sign a card.  But if the union organizer is honest, he/she will tell you that the NPUA cannot guarantee anything.  The law related to good faith bargaining obligation of a company and a union does not require either party to agree to a proposal, or require the making of a concession.  Therefore, after good faith bargaining takes place, your wages and benefits may be the same as, more than, or less than you have now.

We urge you to think carefully about this matter and not sign a card unless you are willing to accept all of the legal consequences and legal obligations that arise as a result of your signature on the card.

As Always,
Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #541 on: Nov 03, 2010, 01:15 »
Question:

If the NPUA were to organize Bartlett, Atlantic and maybe Denuke, wouldn't it follow that all three would bid the contract based on $35 and hour?  If the utilities balked and brought in one of the smaller companies, they couldn't possibly fill all the slots.  Thus, one of the companies mentioned earlier would have a backup contract where they could pay the $35 and hour.  Eric, if as you say, you want to pay $35 an hour, why are you afraid of unionization?
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #542 on: Nov 03, 2010, 01:32 »
Nothing personal torwards either NPUA or bartlett, but I just thought the pay was too low.  To the point where I was very strongly considering moving to a different job.  So my opinion is, if Bartlett and Atlantic can't get the pay to go up, why not give the NPUA a chance?  Eric brings up some possibly good points that I don't fully understand, but I was about ready to jump ship anyway from rent-a-teching....  Bartlett people can say what they want, that they have no control over the pay and that it isn't their fault.  OK then, let's get someone in there who will at least TRY to get us more money and takes responsibility for it.  The fact is when the pay is too low, according to Bartlett they have no or limited vehicles to force companies to make the pay go higher, while the NPUA will stand fast and refuse to staff at less than 35$ an hour.  Eric is saying the NPUA is reckless, but when the pay gets too low (and in my opinion 22/85 was just too low), the NPUA will say no!, we need the pay to be at a certain level.  So if that is reckless, it's the kind of reckless I am ready to take on.  I have an itching feeling bartlett has more leverage but is unwilling to risk it's own well-being for under-paid technicians, which to me is a no-brainer and I understand why, although I'm not sure if long-term it was the best decision for Bartlett.  Of course bartlett wants to protect itself first.  But just because it makes sense for bartlett to protect itself doesn't make it my wish to be under-paid.  I don't feel this is about right or wrong, but I would like to be paid what I feel I am worth.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #543 on: Nov 03, 2010, 03:01 »
I don’t know much about unions, and I have a few questions.

our petition to get Bartlett to the negotiation table on a national basis
Bartlett holds the negotiating power with the utility, not the NPUA.  The NPUA does not have a contract with the utility…

John Doe is a card carrying member of the NPUA and lives next to Plant A, a non NPUA, non Union site.  Now Plant B, an NPUA Unionized site is having an outage the same time as Plant A. 

If Bartlett negotiates with the NPUA on a national basis, wouldn’t that negate the ‘NPUA plant’ or ‘non-NPUA plant’ thingy?   If they negotiate with Bartlett and not the plants as stated, what makes a plant NPUA or non-NPUA? 

Please be patient with me, because I don’t understand ‘traditional’ unions, let alone such a unique union as the one proposed.

Additionally, would someone be interested in reviewing the 22 pages and 635 replies of this thread and make a summary/FAQ that we could refer to, so that same points and questions are not asked repeatedly?  Any volunteers? (You don’t have to be from Tennessee to be a volunteer.)

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #544 on: Nov 03, 2010, 04:00 »
I don’t know much about unions, and I have a few questions.

If Bartlett negotiates with the NPUA on a national basis, wouldn’t that negate the ‘NPUA plant’ or ‘non-NPUA plant’ thingy?   If they negotiate with Bartlett and not the plants as stated, what makes a plant NPUA or non-NPUA? 

Please be patient with me, because I don’t understand ‘traditional’ unions, let alone such a unique union as the one proposed.

Additionally, would someone be interested in reviewing the 22 pages and 635 replies of this thread and make a summary/FAQ that we could refer to, so that same points and questions are not asked repeatedly?  Any volunteers? (You don’t have to be from Tennessee to be a volunteer.)

First let me say that I do know a little about unions because I have been a member of one in the past. That is why I keep asking why everyone pro-union seems to keep treating The NPUA as if it is a company. First let me say that a union can't be a company. Unions negotiate with companies for wages and benefits for their members(not employees).
   I am not the smartest person in the world and I am sure everyone knows that already, but I do know that just because the union says they can get you a set amount of pay doesnt really mean that they can. The Utilities hold all the real bargaining chips and they can pay as much or as little as they want. If Bartlett overbids some other company, then Bartlett won't get the contract. Then the other comany will pay based on their bid, but i bet it won't be $35 dollars per hour.
    If there is one thing that I have learned in the last 30 years is this: If someone needs to work and there is a $22/hr job out there, most will take that job before they let their house and car be foreclosed on, or their children go hungry. The utilities will shut down plants and restart them whether they are fully staffed or not. There are already signs of some of them starting to share resources between other plants.  They can and will work the ones that are there like rented mules if they have to, until the ones there leave.
   I work for Bartlett mostly and I am happy with  my arrangement with them. They pay what we agreed to and they pay ontime. As for me I don't need a union to negotiate for me, especially one that doesn't act like a union. 
   The NPUA officers really need to get their business in order with some of their spokespersons.  Either be a company if thats what you want or be a union. It doesn't matter to me which but you need to be one or the other. Stop promising things that you can't really deliver. Stop "slamming" Bartlett, DZ Atlantic or any other company for trying to make a profit. They are really businesses and in this country businesses are supposed to turn a profit or they go out of business. If enough techs vote no and you can't negotiate with a company then just move on without all the drama.
 I will now get off of my  [soap]. I just wanted to put in my [2cents] worth.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #545 on: Nov 03, 2010, 05:05 »
I think more people are moving away from the union thing.

From the NYPost:

Flight attendants at Delta Air Lines Wednesday voted against organizing themselves into a collective bargaining unit, and ended 60 years of unionization at its Northwest Airlines unit, the Association of Flight Attendants said Wednesday.

According to the union, Delta flight attendants voted 9,544 against AFA representation, versus 8,778 in favor. Shares of Delta, which have been down a fraction most of the day, reversed direction and added 5 cents to $13.91.

Delta, which is largely nonunion, merged with unionized Northwest Airlines in 2008.

Flight attendants at Continental Airlines and United Airlines -- now units of United Continental Holdings -- as well as at American Airlines and US Airways are currently in contract negotiations.

For more on this story, please go to MarketWatch.

60 years of Union...hmmm...something to think about. Got a few folks in that group that are a bit smarter than some on this site...perhaps...

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #546 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:04 »
Now I have a question for the pro-union side.    Here is the hypothetical situation - John Doe is a card carrying member of the NPUA and lives next to Plant A, a non NPUA, non Union site.  Now Plant B, an NPUA Unionized site is having an outage the same time as Plant A.  If John Doe is offered and subsequently turns down a position at Plant B, the NPUA site, so that he could work Non-Union at his home site how does that affect Johns standing w/in the Union?  Similar situation except both sites are NPUA and Plant B shuts down and staffs 3-4 weeks prior to Plant A and also overlaps Plant A by 3 weeks.  John Doe is offered a slot at Plant B, but he turns it down trying to wait for Plant A.  Since he turned down “Union” work does he go to the bottom of the Union call list, possibly being too far down the list to be offered a slot at Plant A because he turned down a Union gig at Plant B.  
If you substitute "Bartlett" for the "NPUA" in your question, I think you answer your own question...Here is the hypothetical situation - John Doe is a card carrying member of the NPUA Bartlett and lives next to Plant A, a non NPUA, non Union Bartlett site.  Now Plant B, an NPUA Unionized Bartlett site is having an outage the same time as Plant A.  If John Doe is offered and subsequently turns down a position at Plant B, the NPUA Bartlett site, so that he could work Non-Union Bartlett at his home site how does that affect Johns standing w/in the Union Bartlett?

I do have a question for you...you made this statement... "Bartlett has a habit for making sure theirs are taken care of first"  - isn't that only good business you take care of those that take care of you?   Maybe I'm missing something, maybe we should be taking care of all the people that bagged us on jobs, backed out last minute, no showed, or tested positive prior to taking care of those that honored their commitments, helped us out and did a good job.  We try to take care of everyone that works for us and does a good job, sometimes we can help everyone, sometimes we can't...but we do try...its our job.

'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #547 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:05 »
the Government and UAW now own 89% of GM, right?  How is that a union?  Wouldn't that make them majority owners?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #548 on: Nov 04, 2010, 07:39 »
I have seen how NPUA techs have been treated at a plant.  Not very well according to them. Those that I spoke with headed back to DOE.

One of my hesitations, there are many, is that neither the President nor the VP of the organization, work union backup  contracts.  One is working for PG&E , non NPUA and the other is working at a shipyard in northern CA, also non NPUA.  Thought one led by example and sat out like technicians are asked to do.

It is what it is!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #549 on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:17 »
One is working for PG&E , non NPUA and the other is working at a shipyard in northern CA, also non NPUA.  Thought one led by example and sat out like technicians are asked to do.

Sounds from your description that they are not working outages at power plants as contractors, which is what they seem to be urging people to do, in order to get leverage.  They don't seem to be asking you to not work at all, just not to accept outage work for under $35/hr.  They don't seem to mind if you 'holdout' by working DOE, the net effect at the power plants is the same whether you collect a check form a DOE site or unemployment.

I could be wrong, because I don't really know their intentions, but that is how it seems to me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?