NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPUA honeypot

Author Topic: NPUA  (Read 384170 times)

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
Re: NPUA
« Reply #550 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:38 »
Sounds from your description that they are not working outages at power plants as contractors, which is what they seem to be urging people to do, in order to get leverage.

They might have more credibility if their background was "fighting in the trenches" like the rest of us. Something to think about I guess...

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #551 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:56 »
They might have more credibility if their background was "fighting in the trenches" like the rest of us. Something to think about I guess...
I bitch about them as much as anyone else but they do seem to be "fighting in the trenches" to me.  Am I the enemy because I'm working DOE?!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #552 on: Nov 04, 2010, 12:44 »
If you substitute "Bartlett" for the "NPUA" in your question, I think you answer your own question...Here is the hypothetical situation - John Doe is a card carrying member of the NPUA Bartlett and lives next to Plant A, a non NPUA, non Union Bartlett site.  Now Plant B, an NPUA Unionized Bartlett site is having an outage the same time as Plant A.  If John Doe is offered and subsequently turns down a position at Plant B, the NPUA Bartlett site, so that he could work Non-Union Bartlett at his home site how does that affect Johns standing w/in the Union Bartlett?

ruth13 - you obviously don't understand what I am asking or how most Unions operate. It is not the same as substituting Bartlett for the NPUA.  If a tech decides to not confirm for Site A w/BNI because he or she is waiting on their home site, Site B there is no problem.  They don't go to the bottom of a call list, in fact they would go to the top of the call list for Site B when we start hiring for it.   But with most Unions if you turn down a job with them your name normally goes to the bottom of their call list, and that was what I was asking - if a tech turned down a Union job at Site A, would their name go to the bottom of the Union call list possibly being too far down to get the slot they wanted at their home site, another Union job. 
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #553 on: Nov 04, 2010, 12:50 »
Excellent point Eric.  I haven't worked with a union so I was of the same mind as Ruth.  You cleared things up nicely, thanx.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #554 on: Nov 04, 2010, 01:37 »
“Let me be clear, neither DZ Atlantic nor Bartlett have been willing to negotiate higher wages without involving the NLRB. They continue to be the low bidder and subsequently do not want to pay you a living wage. We have received no response from either of them until we brought in the NLRB. At that point, they can no longer ignore your requests. Remember that important point when it comes time to vote. “

The above quote was taken from the NPUA’s Propoganda Site on Nov 3, 2010…

Once again the NPUA Management throws out blatant falsehoods and half truths.  Why? Because they think the majority of you are too ignorant to know the truth or too blind to see their propaganda for what it is.  They want you to just sit back and open wide while they spoon feed you this drivel.   

How does the NPUA think wages have been increased over the years without their influence…magic?  Now I can’t and won’t speak for Atlantic but I can tell you Bartlett has never ignored the requests and needs of our workforce when it comes to compensation packages – When Bartlett got into this industry y’all were on 1099’s, Bartlett changed that.  Bartlett was the only vendor in this business to pay advanced per diem and is still one of the few that will advance you Perdiem when you first arrive on a site.  Bartlett was the first company to introduce good, affordable health care.  Bartlett was the first to introduce a 401k plan limited though it may be, Bartlett has always championed the highest wages our clients will allow us to bill for and we are constantly in a fluid state of negotiations with our clients to increase compensation packages, i.e. wages, diem, bonuses, benefits, etc…

The NPUA states that “We have received no response from either of them until we brought in the NLRB” – of course they had received no response from Bartlett prior to them involving the NLRB.  The reason why is because they never contacted us to begin with.  Their way of contacting us is force a vote and then demand a re-vote if it doesn’t go their way.   

Quote from Retread on nukeworker.com on Nov 3, 2011
“Eric, if as you say, you want to pay $35 an hour, why are you afraid of unionization”

Response
Retread, I am in no way “afraid” of Unionization, I am against Unionization by this “Union”.   Here are a few of the reasons why…

1.   The way this “Union” uses falsehoods and half truths to con the workforce – remember I, as an employer, am held to tell the truth by the NLRB when it comes to organization attempts where as the “Union” can say anything they want be it truthful or not.   
2.   The way this Union attacks Bartlett
3.   I’ve seen who has “worked” under this Union and truthfully it only makes Bartlett look good having the majority of them work for someone else.
4.   The way this Union treats technicians with genuine questions and concerns
5.   Their questionable record – so far they have been affiliated with 2 companies that no longer have anything to do with them – that alone makes me leery of this group…

I personally don’t see a “Union”.   I see a business venture disguised as a Union that only cares about how much money they can put in their own pockets.  Listen to their message – all they promise and talk about is higher wages, they don’t talk about benefits like affordable health insurance, dental insurance or retirement plans – benefits don’t put more money in their pockets, wages do. 

As Always,
Eric

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 03:10 by Rennhack »
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #555 on: Nov 04, 2010, 02:48 »
You compare NPUA to Bartlett, and I'll grant you that over the years Bartlett has instituted some good change for the industry.  So, not to attack Bartlett but ...
Bartlett was the only vendor in this business to pay advanced per diem ”

That one I have to raise the flag on  [BS]
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #556 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:27 »
"ARTICLE XIV – SALARIES AND EXPENSES
Section 1. The salary of the President shall be 145% of the highest wage secured for the members of the NPUA through collective bargaining. The salary will be based on a standard work week of 54 hours. The salary will be paid in biweekly amounts."

I personally don’t see a “Union”.   I see a business venture disguised as a Union that only cares about how much money they can put in their own pockets.  Listen to their message – all they promise and talk about is higher wages, they don’t talk about benefits like affordable health insurance, dental insurance or retirement plans – benefits don’t put more money in their pockets, wages do.

Interesting observation.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #557 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:33 »
You compare NPUA to Bartlett, and I'll grant you that over the years Bartlett has instituted some good change for the industry.  So, not to attack Bartlett but ...
That one I have to raise the flag on  [BS]
My bad, I'll clarify - Bartlett was the only vendor in the business to Automatically pay advanced perdiem...

and no I am not comparing the NPUA to Bartlett, I am just pointing out that Bartlett has done more for technicians in this business than this Union wants to admit as they continue to paint us as that evil low balling vendor. 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #558 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:02 »
In the past, Eric was distinguished from most posters by his ability to comment with little or no emotion or personal attacks.  But, the past is just that.  The past.

Everyone has their limit.  You can only get beat on for so long before you start to get tender.

nukewood

« Reply #559 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:05 »
Kudos to Eric Bartlett for having the the honesty and tenacity to try to explain his stand on this site. I have worked for him on and off for many years and have found him to be forthright and honest. I currently work a union job for Bartlett at DOE with no complaints , even though I have historically been reluctant to enter into the union entitlement environment. Bartlett has made it possible for me to work in either a union or non union site-my choice. I have been reluctant to enter into or sign any agreement with NPUA . I have not enjoyed the interaction from their representatives Nukeworker.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #560 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:11 »
In the past, Eric was distinguished from most posters by his ability to comment with little or no emotion or personal attacks.  But, the past is just that.  The past.

If you have read my past posts going back over the years you will see I have always posted with emotion, especially if it was in defense of the company. 

As far as personal attacks, if I have instigated any type of personal attack on any individual I am truly sorry as that is not my intent.  Those of you that have dealt with me, those of you that know me, know that even if I disagree with I still value your input, just ask RadGhost - we disagree on a daily basis, but I still value his views on things.

I do however have no qualms about going on the attack regarding this "Union", as it came out swinging and has shown no qualms about attacking the company that I not only work for, but that also carries my name and if the "Union" expects me to hunker back in a defensive posture they are mistaken. 

As Always,

Eric

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #561 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:50 »
ruth13 - you obviously don't understand what I am asking or how most Unions operate. It is not the same as substituting Bartlett for the NPUA.  If a tech decides to not confirm for Site A w/BNI because he or she is waiting on their home site, Site B there is no problem.  They don't go to the bottom of a call list, in fact they would go to the top of the call list for Site B when we start hiring for it.   But with most Unions if you turn down a job with them your name normally goes to the bottom of their call list, and that was what I was asking - if a tech turned down a Union job at Site A, would their name go to the bottom of the Union call list possibly being too far down to get the slot they wanted at their home site, another Union job. 

Eric - you are right, I don't know how unions operate - I'm trying to learn so I can decide which side of this issue I want to be on.  What I was pointing out is that I believe the union will operate the same way Bartlett does, and in fact the same way  most businesses and individuals operate - that is "scratch the back of the person scratching yours".  In your example you are assuming BNI is staffing both outages the tech is considering. I was referring to previous posts of yours where you explained how BNI gives preference to the techs who work for them opposed to the ones working for BNI's competitors when making staffing decisions. I am not saying that is an unfair practice, or that I don't agree with it, I'm only saying it sounds like what you are saying the NPUA would also do. Not meaning to attack BNI or anyone - just trying to be informed.
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #562 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:35 »
I guess you don't have to like the guy to work for him
I have not enjoyed the interaction from their representatives Nukeworker.
but it certainly helps. I've noticed the comments from the union rep on this site and quite frankly, I wouldn't want him representing anything from me. Just by the way he writes his emails tells a true story. Sounds like an angry guy.

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #563 on: Nov 05, 2010, 02:03 »
The above quote was taken from the NPUA’s Propoganda Site on Nov 3, 2010…

Once again the NPUA Management throws out blatant falsehoods and half truths.  Why? Because they think the majority of you are too ignorant to know the truth or too blind to see their propaganda for what it is.  They want you to just sit back and open wide while they spoon feed you this drivel.   

How does the NPUA think wages have been increased over the years without their influence…magic?  Now I can’t and won’t speak for Atlantic but I can tell you Bartlett has never ignored the requests and needs of our workforce when it comes to compensation packages – When Bartlett got into this industry y’all were on 1099’s, Bartlett changed that.  Bartlett was the only vendor in this business to pay advanced per diem and is still one of the few that will advance you Perdiem when you first arrive on a site.  Bartlett was the first company to introduce good, affordable health care.  Bartlett was the first to introduce a 401k plan limited though it may be, Bartlett has always championed the highest wages our clients will allow us to bill for and we are constantly in a fluid state of negotiations with our clients to increase compensation packages, i.e. wages, diem, bonuses, benefits, etc…

The NPUA states that “We have received no response from either of them until we brought in the NLRB” – of course they had received no response from Bartlett prior to them involving the NLRB.  The reason why is because they never contacted us to begin with.  Their way of contacting us is force a vote and then demand a re-vote if it doesn’t go their way.   

Quote from Retread on nukeworker.com on Nov 3, 2011
“Eric, if as you say, you want to pay $35 an hour, why are you afraid of unionization”

Response
Retread, I am in no way “afraid” of Unionization, I am against Unionization by this “Union”.   Here are a few of the reasons why…

1.   The way this “Union” uses falsehoods and half truths to con the workforce – remember I, as an employer, am held to tell the truth by the NLRB when it comes to organization attempts where as the “Union” can say anything they want be it truthful or not.   
2.   The way this Union attacks Bartlett
3.   I’ve seen who has “worked” under this Union and truthfully it only makes Bartlett look good having the majority of them work for someone else.
4.   The way this Union treats technicians with genuine questions and concerns
5.   Their questionable record – so far they have been affiliated with 2 companies that no longer have anything to do with them – that alone makes me leery of this group…

As Always,
Eric

I no longer have adog in the fight but I still can read, therefore I must also throw some flags.

"never ignored the requests and needs of our workforce when it comes to compensation packages" I recall not only being ignored but told to shut my mouth or leave!

"Bartlett was the only vendor in this business to pay advanced per diem" Every company paid advance per diem

"Bartlett was the first company to introduce good, affordable health care" I have to agree, Bartlett HAD the best insurance in the industry, now however it just flat blows! Main reason I left BNI 5 years ago never to return!

"first to introduce a 401k plan limited though it may be" Limited yes but not the first!

"always championed the highest wages our clients will allow us to bill for" and my all time favorite coming from a company that took an increase in billing rates intended to give Jr. Technicians a raise and kept 100% of it!

There is no reason for Bartlett to be afraid of unionization. It's often a necessary evit when doing business. If technicians unionize BNI will deal with it. But it also means higher overhead costs even if there is never a contract signed, and no company wants someone else telling them how to do their business. If I were a company I would do whatever's in my power to stop an organizing effort.

But please Eric, don't claim NPUA is spreading falsehoods in the same breath as you spread your own and claim them as truths.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #564 on: Nov 05, 2010, 03:51 »
Caution -  [hijack]

Pot..........Kettle...........Black........? ROFL ROFL [dowave] [clap] [clap] [stir] [stir]
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #565 on: Nov 05, 2010, 03:56 »
Redline - its easy to throw stones when you don't back any of it up and hide in anonymity.  I would appreciate it if you sent me an e-mail or gave me a call to discuss with examples of where I am wrong and i will fully acknowledge that I was wrong and post a retraction.  Let me know who out of the RP vendors offered a 401k prior to BNI, who paid automatically paid diem in advance prior to BNI, etc... I will fully admit I have only been here for 21 of the 31 years BNI has been in existence.  What I stated was from my first hand knowledge in that 21 years.  If something happened prior to me starting here or even after I started that I am unaware of that contractdicts what I wrote, as stated above I will be more than happy to post a retraction with the most humble of apologies.  

As always,
Eric

Jr8black3

« Reply #566 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:21 »
I have to give Eric Bartlett much karma. Yes if had my issues with bartlett, that was between me and them, I don't need NPUA to stand in and heal the hard feelings, I busted my ass up at Fermi with little respect When Pete had that job he knew the guy that took over is a complete BOZO,, I shouldn't say anymore,,other then i wouldn't want the NPUA supporting me I can do fine on my own..

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #567 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:51 »
I agree.  I also have had differences with Bartlett (not with Eric), but believe, he is steering us straight.  I am currently working for DZ Atlantic, and am qualified to vote during this NLRB vs NPUA thingy.  However, I am not and was not at any of the outages (Beaver, Palo, or Palisades) during this vote.  Been waiting on my mail in Ballot, still have yet to see it.  I have been told that since I have not filled out a "Card" to authorize the Union to represent me, I will not see a ballot.  Oh well.  I can read through the fine print.  Don't need 'em, don't want 'em.  Thanks Eric!  We appreciate the straight talk!

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #568 on: Nov 05, 2010, 08:16 »
  Don't need 'em, don't want 'em.  Thanks Eric!  We appreciate the straight talk!

I may be wrong here, but if so maybe someone will correct me. Please! It is my understanding that if the people that don't want the NPUA representing them do not vote NO, then the yesses will win. If you are eligible to vote and don't want the NPUA representing you then please get the NO vote in. AS for me I haven't had the opportunity to vote yet, but if given the chance I will definitely vote NO.
    I am happy working for Bartlett now as I have been for the last 21 years. I chose to work at Duke-Energy Plants because they are close to home for me and I get to work pretty much all I want. While money is good and we all need it, I believe there is more to life than Money. Happiness in my life and being with my family is more important. I have been negotiating for myself almost 30 years now and just as soon keep on looking out for myself.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #569 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:16 »
Right on Henry!  However, it sounds like (and smells like) a fix.  If you don't authorize them to represent you, you can't vote?  That is not a vote!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #570 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:48 »
Go back a page or two.  The qualifications for those permitted to vote are listed in a recent post.  It is absolutely NOT necessary to sign an authorization card in order to vote.

If you intend to vote "no", you probably should not file a card.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Jr8black3

« Reply #571 on: Nov 05, 2010, 10:58 »
Beer, I grew up on a farm, so I believe in hard work day in and day out, so my vote is no..

To me I don't need them dealing with Bartlett,if I want a job I can can get one, there not that hard to find..

LMFAO Im sure PWHoppe is happy I'm finally a Sr. RP now,,holy crap I can make alot more money in the decon world..

Offline spongerob27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #572 on: Nov 06, 2010, 12:21 »
Though I no longer have a dog in the fight I will put my two cents in.
I worked for BNI for almost 10 years. I started and took any outage I could until I earned the respect and expierience to try to go where I wanted. Anytime I had a problem and there were a few. I knew I could call you Eric and get a straight answer. I did not always like the answer and maybe sometimes he did not either. But Eric was straight with me.
Now that I have a house job I no longer have a dog in this fight. But my ability to put in for this job was directly related to BNI giving me the opportunity to get the expierience I needed.
I just think it is funny that Eric can give an articulate and insightful response and all I see from the "union" is attacks and inarticulate responses. If I was still on the road it would be an easy decision for me.
And thank you Eric and BNI for everything.

Chimera

« Reply #573 on: Nov 06, 2010, 06:27 »
Redline - its easy to throw stones when you don't back any of it up and hide in anonymity.  I would appreciate it if you sent me an e-mail or gave me a call to discuss with examples of where I am wrong and i will fully acknowledge that I was wrong and post a retraction.  Let me know who out of the RP vendors offered a 401k prior to BNI, who paid automatically paid diem in advance prior to BNI, etc... I will fully admit I have only been here for 21 of the 31 years BNI has been in existence.  What I stated was from my first hand knowledge in that 21 years.  If something happened prior to me starting here or even after I started that I am unaware of that contractdicts what I wrote, as stated above I will be more than happy to post a retraction with the most humble of apologies.  

As always,
Eric

Pardon me for butting in but . . .

I was common practice in the "old" days for us to get our per diem for the week coming as opposed to the week corresponding to our paychecks.  However, too many Techs ruined that practice along with many other practices that were "comon practice" way back then.

However, as to working for Bartlett in general: I worked my first Bartlett outage in 1984 - still have the jacket - and Bartlett has always done the correct thing for the Techs on the jobs I've been on.  Even those who were put on "double-secret probation" earned it more often than not.  I had a couple of discussions with Bruce back in the days when I was a site coordinator for Bartlett wherein he revealed a much more level-headed approach to the operations and policies of his company than most of us would have suspected when our only contact with the home office was usually just our paychecks.

When this DoE/ARRA job winds down, I'll be back on the road and Bartlett will be my first point of contact.  I will trust Bartlett long before I will trust the mechanations I've been seeing with NPUA.  I don't need them to represent me - I represent me - and I vote with my feet if I don't like a particular job offering.

Have a good Thanksgiving, Eric, and I thank Bartlett for all the Thanksgiving dinners you've helped fund over the years.

Mike

Jr8black3

« Reply #574 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:27 »
Love it you hit every nail on the head

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?