Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Deppers, Ship Dates, and Stories honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Deppers, Ship Dates, and Stories  (Read 321672 times)

taterhead

Re: Nuke Deppers and their Ship dates
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:02 »
I believe females make up anywhere from 10-15% depending on power school class.

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:10 »
I have never been to the Nuke school before, but Charleston itself is awesome. Charleston is known for its high standard of living.  The beaches are some of the best in the country(not that we will be able to spend much time there)  :(    Anyway    its a cool town,  alot of historic districts.  And the weather there is almost allways nice.

Marten-MM3

« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2006, 11:23 »
Sarahm86- I'm about half way through Power school at the moment, the school itself is tough but if you are highly motivated and make efficient use of your time, you'll do just fine, and should have time to enjoy Charleston, which is a 20 minute drive from the base in Goose Creek.  As a female you will be outnumbered greatly yes, but you also basically have choice of any guy you want  ;), and there are still enough females here to befriend. 

I would be more than happy to answer any more questions DEPers have about boot camp / nuke school.  Congratulations on your enlistment into one of the best programs the military has to offer.

MM3 Cardini

sarahm86

« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:49 »
thanks so much for the posts! i have definitely not been to charleston, im so used to the heat that's the only thing that scares me! but im really excited and optimistic about starting, i can't wait.  thanks for your input!

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2006, 11:14 »
I was born in Mesa, AZ.  Its a much different heat over here, but still better than any kind of cold weather.

pedro

« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:35 »
in from az too, and the heat in charleston is differant. it doesnt get as hot as in az but the humidity can get bad at times. i left charleston last year and i was the for 'a' school, power school, prototype, and elt school. so i got to taste all the seasons in s.c. good times await you charleston. if you have any more q's about any of these 4 schools ill be glad to answer. school :D

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:58 »
In reading the different discussions, I have heard that some nukes are lost during basic.  What causes a recruit to be thrown out of the program during basic training?

Rad Sponge

« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:54 »
During Basic:

1. Being a dumbass i.e gross insubordination, fraternization with females/males
2. Something comes up in the security background check
3. Failing the "welcome to Boot camp" urine test for drugs!
4. Decided to devulge a criminal history during the "moment of truth"
5. Medically disqualified
6. Gets hurt and can't continue

All of the above does not necessarily mean kicked out of the Navy, but it can jeapordize being a Nuke, since Nukes are held to a higher standard of security background checks, medical qualifications, and personal behavior.

However, there is a zero tolerance for illegal drug use and fraternization, nuke or no nuke, bye bye.

taterhead

« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:38 »
That moment of truth is a trip!

I wish I could go back and just stand and watch the sleep deprived recruits squirming under the pressure of the moment of truth.

Heck, I hadn't done anything wrong and I was nervous!

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2006, 02:57 »
What exactly is the moment of truth?

Rad Sponge

« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2006, 03:37 »
The moment of truth is your last oppurtunity to devulge all things in your past that you should have told your recruiter in the first place!

I cracked under the pressure and let some Chief know that there was an additional speeding ticket in my history other than what was reported in my file.

No big deal, I guess.

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:31 »
Thats funny because,   I think I managed to leave a rolling a stop sign ticket out myself.

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:40 »
Whats the best way to go about correcting that?

taterhead

« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2006, 03:11 »
Whats the best way to go about correcting that?

Ok, here's my moment of truth story.

I sat there, sleep deprived, stewing about a two year old returned check that I was sued over.  The amount of the check?  36.00.

Adding court costs and fines, 336.00.

I never divulged the offense, and since it was a civil, not criminal matter, it did not seem to matter.

About your speeding ticket, since you have already signed up, I would just run it by your recruiter.  Chances are it is no big deal.   The "moment of truth" is the last ditch effort to guilt some guys into revealing some *really* serious offenses, not speeding tickets (unless you have 20 unpaid tickets).
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006, 03:14 by taterhead »

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:00 »
No its my only ticket,  but i was getting nervous.  It sounds pretty intimidating, specialy being sleep deprived. Well thanks for the help again.    I have spent most of my free time since i DEPped in reading posts on this website, and  I cant begin to say how much I have learned.

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2006, 01:26 »
Just got my ship date changed from March 27th to Feb 21st!! Thank God!  There is nothing worse than waiting for something to happen.  Anyway, any last minute pieces of advice on how to go thru boot camp as a nuke? I wanna maintain the traditon and nuke culture.  But also thanks alot for all the info i have learned. I have also passed on the site to some other nuke deppers at my recruiting station who have found it a great help as well.  Look forward to making my next post as a United States Sailor (first step closer to being a NUKE).   Thanks All ! ; ;D

taterhead

« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2006, 01:40 »
Anyway, any last minute pieces of advice on how to go thru boot camp as a nuke?

Well, remember that no one at boot camp will be impressed that you are a nuke.  You go through boot camp just like everyone else.  The last thing you want to do is single yourself out.

I wanna maintain the traditon and nuke culture. 

Boot camp is not the time.  At NPS, you can revel in the fact that you might be a nuke one day, but at boot camp, you are simply trying to become a Sailor.  You will be amazed at how good it feels to finally put on those whites on family night (whether your family is there or not!).

Best of luck.  You will emerge with a totally different outlook on life, or at least I did... ;D

Rad Sponge

« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:18 »
Don't worry about being a nuke or not. You are not really a nuke until you qualify at Prototype anyways.

Also, your RDCs will be sure to alienate you and your fellow nuke trainees, especially when you mess up some menial task that some none-nukes figured out.

I was called a "F@#$en Rocket Scientest" everytime I messed something up.

O Brother Where Art Thou BT2 Ordunez?

Just keep your chin up, mouth shut, and remember you will outrank most of your division by graduation and your RDCs in about 2-4 years.

graydragon67

« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:08 »
Feb 21st in Great Mistakes??  Good heavens!  Hopefully you're like me and don't mind the cold or snow.  Then again the people I work with call me a freak of nature when it comes to the cold here. 

Keep you mouth shut while in boot.  They know already that you're a wanna-be nuke.  Thus they hate you already.  Because they know you'll make rank faster than they will and you'll have better job opportunities when you get out.  Get used to it, it's like that in the fleet as well.  Learn to fold your clothes just so, shine your shoes, stay alert when you're on watch and try to stay in step while you march.  Other than that, write to your family when you can and enjoy the ride.  This is the easy part...  It gets harder in a couple of months.

Feb in Illinois??  man crazy kids these days....

taterhead

« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:17 »
O Brother Where Art Thou BT2 Ordunez?

Likewise for RM2 Davidson and EM2 Moore ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:44 »
Likewise for RM2 Davidson and EM2 Moore ;D

RM2 (SS) Scanlon and AE2 Fertig along with BT1 Miller (A School)

All who let me know day after day, muster after muster that I was a G** D*** Mop And Glow.

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:30 »
I think my RDCs were hung over half the time.

Our BT2 would call the RPOC Sunday mornings and just say with a gravelly Phillipian accented voice:

"Hey, ARRRRRRR POC, you got it, see you after lunch"

We never saw the MMC or the FC1 for that matter. Once in a while.

longball4414

« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2006, 01:33 »
Back to the topic   ;)

I'm shipping out sept 12th, decided to have the summer for myself. My last bit of civilian fun heh.

THEDUKEOFNUKE06

« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:56 »
Thanks all for the advice..... As for the cold Im a florida boy born and raised. SO i dont know how ill do with the cold... its better than sitting around waiting....Also i went to military School for 4 yrs in VA,Fork Union Military Academy.. and have spent many hours marching (extra duty!) So hopefully ill have a lil edge there.  But despite the cold I am excited to join the family  Thanks again for all the help Cameron Townsend

Fermi2

« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2006, 12:43 »
Good luck Duke!!!

Work hard and it'll pass very quickly!

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?