Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Deppers, Ship Dates, and Stories honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Deppers, Ship Dates, and Stories  (Read 321616 times)

Fla Jackal

Re: Nuke Deppers and their Ship dates
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2006, 09:23 »
hi guys my name is michael im 18 and also in the navy Dep for the Nuke program and my ship date is Oct 11. i was wondering what life is like in the navy, like how long you will be at your home port and how long you will be at sea and what your duties are when you are out at sea like drills and ect?

Retrospect

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2006, 12:18 »
Hey there, my name is Marc. I'm 19 and DEPped in as of February. Cant wait to go because I have wiat until Oct 11  :-\ thats alright more time to get fit memorize the stuff for Great lakes

Hey FLA JACKAL at least you wont be the only 6' 3 guy running into things on the carrier...lol

but hey this is great site and i'm thankful its here because it really helped me in making the decision to take this program :)

so thanks ppl

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2006, 08:33 »
Welcome to the site Retro and all others ;D

Thanks for your service, and enjoy your time in.

Good Luck in your career's no matter how long or short they may be. ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2006, 02:47 »
There are hotels that still charge for the internet?

Heck find a Holiday Inn and use their internet! Many have computers scattered all over the place!

Comft Inns also have computers around.  Most motels are now Wi-Fi, so just carry your laptop.

Fla Jackal

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2006, 12:20 »
hey marc since we got the same ship date we will probably end up running into each other at basic.

floyd_n

« Reply #80 on: Jun 12, 2006, 11:41 »
My name is Jared, I live in Spokane WA. Currently in DEP, but not shipping till feb 6, 2007. Cant wait for nuke school! I am trying to finish my AA at the commie college here, so thats why so long to ship date. I am trying to move my ship date to december, which is when Im done with school. How cold is Great Lakes in the winter?   

solarwave

« Reply #81 on: Jun 17, 2006, 05:21 »
Howdy.

My name is Patrick and I leave for the Navy on July 20, 2006. I'm a little worried about nuke school, mainly because I have terrible study habbits. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be pretty intelligent and I learn very quickly, but my study habbit in high school was... well pretty much non-existent. I'm what you call a very bad procrastinator. That's a big reason why I wanted to go into the military, to get get some discipline, straighten out my life, and possibly get yelled at a few times.

Anyway, as my ship date gets closer, I'm starting to worry about how I'll fare in nuke school. I've heard a lot of horror stories about mandatory 8-hour study sessions each day, and something like an 80% drop out rate in the first few months. My recruiter was originally a nuke but dropped out after 2 weeks in Charleston. I'm getting the idea that this school is going to eat my alive, but dropping out is not an option for me. Just wanted to get some more information about it and maybe some advice to keep me from dropping the program in the beginning. I really want to complete this program, there's no other job in the navy that interests me.

Regards,
-Pat

taterhead

« Reply #82 on: Jun 18, 2006, 12:54 »
Solarwave-

A little bit of fear/apprehension is good for you.  It will keep you on your toes.  Never get complacent, and use that little bit of anxiety to gain the edge over your classmates who choose to waste their mando study time participating in random BS sessions.

I failed the first math test in A school.  Since you don't know yet, that means the easiest one.  My advisor told me that I should think about other rates, as I would likely fail the second test, henceforth failing A school math and failing A school.  However, I pulled the whole deal off, doing  at least average or better from then on.

You CAN do it.  You have to set a goal, focus on that goal, eliminate as much interference as you can, and accomplish the task you undertake.  The only question is whether or not you really want it, or can wade through the minefield of distractions that await you in Charleston (girls, booze, the beach, etc.)

Oh, and 80% is an outrageous attrition rate.  I would put it TODAY somewhere around 20-30%, and most of those are integrity violations (ie disciplinary problems).

SenorPabis

« Reply #83 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:16 »
Hello everyone here, I just enlisted and managed to qualify for the Nuke program, im from NW Indiana so I could practically swim to Great Lakes.  My ship date is October 4th, and I can't wait.  I would first like to thank those of you who posted information about the initial Nuke test, because I was sweating bullets about passing that and gained confidence in reading what some of you who have taken it wrote (I passed with a 63).  I was just wondering how much freedom and free time there is at the Nuke school, becuase I went to college and I had a little too much freedom.  I was hoping that there is more structure to the way of life there (which im sure there is) as to prevent me from straying from my studies.  Any comments on that sort of thing would be great.  I figure that I have been given a chance of a lifetime by getting into the Nuke program and would definately not want to jeopardize that. 

Thanks and hope to hear any comments (hopefully hear from someone leaving the same day as me!)

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #84 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:31 »
OK, I have to ask.  Not having been in the navy, what's a "depper"?
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Fermi2

« Reply #85 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:37 »
DEPPER is a take off on Delayed Entry Program. The guy has enlisted but isn't going in for a few months.

Mike

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #86 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:41 »
Thanks!  I was feeling kind of dumb on that one.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

solarwave

« Reply #87 on: Jun 22, 2006, 12:21 »
k one more question:

how do the ladies react to the uniform?  =P

any interesting stories?
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2006, 12:22 by solarwave »

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #88 on: Jun 26, 2006, 01:41 »
solarwave,

I was wondering if only i get this but....do people ask you why you made a "dumb" choice to enlist? I couldn't believe some of the people I know that believe this is not a great oppurtunity. I think it's an amazing one personally. Heck, some of the older guys on this forum makes me eager to work the civilian life with them. I mean never have I met people such as Navy Nukes(also ex), that have such passion and mentoring abilities. My time is nearing, leave July 11th and I couldn't be more thrilled to take this challenge.

Dennis

ps.... I wonder about the ladies as well... some woman i know said some of us guys should become part time strippers to make so extra $ on the side haha.

Fermi2

« Reply #89 on: Jun 26, 2006, 07:50 »
k one more question:

how do the ladies react to the uniform?  =P

any interesting stories?

Does it matter? Rather inane question for a nuclear forum. What does this have to do with becoming a nuke?

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #90 on: Jun 26, 2006, 07:53 »
solarwave,

I was wondering if only i get this but....do people ask you why you made a "dumb" choice to enlist? I couldn't believe some of the people I know that believe this is not a great oppurtunity. I think it's an amazing one personally. Heck, some of the older guys on this forum makes me eager to work the civilian life with them. I mean never have I met people such as Navy Nukes(also ex), that have such passion and mentoring abilities. My time is nearing, leave July 11th and I couldn't be more thrilled to take this challenge.

Dennis

ps.... I wonder about the ladies as well... some woman i know said some of us guys should become part time strippers to make so extra $ on the side haha.

You know, back in 1984 I got the same question and comments about wasting my life. I make more money than virtually everyone who made these comments, and I've seen much more of the world and met some outstanding people I get a laugh when I think about these idiots.

Enjoy your last couple weeks as a civilian, then enjoy the Navy. Itis a great time. Always remember this, what you get out of it, and how much you enjoy it is proportional to how much you put into it.

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #91 on: Jun 27, 2006, 01:55 »
Broadzilla,
    Thanks. I definately like my choice as of now and can not wait to experience every thing good and bad. Reading some of yours and others stories makes me excited for what lies ahead. But yes I have 2 weeks to the day until I leave. I know I didn't originally come of extremely sharp to you at first, but I hope I leave you with a more clear image of what I really am. Thank you for all the advise and confidence, you remind me somewhat of a mentor to myself.

Fermi2

« Reply #92 on: Jun 27, 2006, 09:29 »
Broadzilla,
    Thanks. I definately like my choice as of now and can not wait to experience every thing good and bad. Reading some of yours and others stories makes me excited for what lies ahead. But yes I have 2 weeks to the day until I leave. I know I didn't originally come of extremely sharp to you at first, but I hope I leave you with a more clear image of what I really am. Thank you for all the advise and confidence, you remind me somewhat of a mentor to myself.

Nah don't sweat what I said. I've seen some awfully decent people go nowhere in this industry and the Navy because they made a bad initial impression on the wrong people.

This whole nuclear thing is a real time. I've loved every minute of it, everyday you get to do something real cool. To me, everyday of the last 22 years has been like someone handed me the keys to my dads multi billion dollar Lincoln and said have fun.

You'll meet some good people. Just remember what many have said here.

1: Study

2: Don't get caught up in the party scene. (do have some fun when you get a chance though.

3: Check out the local scenery.

4: Work hard and honestly.

5: Watch your money. Your buds make exactly what you do, don't be loaning your hard earned money to them. (It's cool to offer to buy a burger or a beer every now and then!)

6: Enjoy the plant.

7: Don't get all wrapped up in the local women, ESPECIALLY at prototype.

8: Have fun.

What might surprise you is how close you become to the people you meet and work with. When you spend literally hours with the same people on watch you tend to become friends. Many times when you go home you might find the people you were once really good friends with are no longer in your circle. This is natural and nothing that reflects on your being a good friend. When I left for the Navy I ran with 4 or 5 guys and had been doing so for years. The last I heard from any of them was maybe 12 years ago. Most were doing the SAME stuff we did in our late teens, early 20s. BY that I mean hit the bars every night, live pay check to pay check, and it was like seeing a time warp. My best friends right now are people I met 20 years ago at Prototype, people I met at Fermi some of whom left before I did, and people I'm working with now. The nuke thang has been excellent to me and I hope it treats you at least half as well because if it does you'll have darn good life ahead of you! (I wish I was you man!!)

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #93 on: Jun 27, 2006, 10:04 »
do people ask you why you made a "dumb" choice to enlist?

The reason we thank you for your service is that it IS a service. Is it dumb to serve? We all receive service from people, and we either appreciate it or we are heels.

Some act as though a disagreement with the Commander-in-Chief gives license to disrespect everyone wearing the uniform. But the truly great Americans love and respect those defending us at this time, and will continue to love and respect them regardless of the political views of future Commanders-in-Chief. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down.

One of the benefits of performing your service in the Navy Nuke field is the potential for future employment in the commercial Nukes. The money is MUCH better than the Navy, and the repect is perhaps less (there are more anti-nukes than anti-military).

I spent a little time recruiting, and I only had to tell the truth to get people lined up to enter the Nuke Field. It is a great opportunity for training and education whether you stay in or get out. Go ask anyone in another branch how long it takes to make E-6; under 6 years is no big deal in the Navy Nuke field, and can be done in less than 5 years.

Thanks again for volunteering to serve in defense of our wonderful America!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Brett_M

« Reply #94 on: Jun 27, 2006, 05:51 »
I go to boot camp March 6 of 2007. If I can get through that then it's off to nuke school in Ballston Spa, NY.

Fermi2

« Reply #95 on: Jun 27, 2006, 06:27 »
Hey how do you know already where you're going to prototype? When I was in you didn't find that out until maybe week 20 or so.

Mike

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #96 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:16 »
I'm in! I just got back from MEPS and destroyed that ASVAB. I am shipping at the end of August.

Woo-hoo. See you cats at Nuke School.

------------------------
smoothtoaster

Tru

« Reply #97 on: Jun 29, 2006, 02:15 »
man its tight i dont leave til july 24 n so i jus get to kick back relax n piss off my recruiter for the time bein.

Samabby

« Reply #98 on: Jun 29, 2006, 10:34 »
man its tight i dont leave til july 24 n so i jus get to kick back relax n piss off my recruiter for the time bein.

You'll just looooove Goose Creek!

Tru

« Reply #99 on: Jun 29, 2006, 11:23 »
yea i bet nuttin like a great smell waking you up in the mornin it jus brings a tear to your eye

its your choice wether it was on purpose or accident.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?