Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Training and testing questions honeypot

Author Topic: Training and testing questions  (Read 55155 times)

r1013

General radiation worker test?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:35 »
Hello,

I havent worked at an outage in 2 years.  My old boss called me to see if I could work a few weeks for him.  He said I would have to get recertified as a nuke worker again.  The first time I worked in a nuke plant.. he came to my hotel room.. handed me all these books.. and said my test was the next day!!!  Eeek!.. (how wonderful).. Some how I passed it.. BUT! I like to be a bit more prepared than that..

I seen the pages on this site for (GERT).. Is that all I need to study and read over to get refreshed?.. The outage will be at Clavert cliffs if that makes a difference.

Even now if I sit down I might be just fine.. Ive taken the refresher so many times.. Im just paranoid since its been a few years..

Thanks for any advice.

r1013
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2006, 03:36 by r1013 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: General radiation worker test?
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:48 »
Yeah, just study the N-Get and the GERT, and you should be fine.

http://www.nukeworker.com/study/gert/

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Calculus Based Physics Online
« Reply #27 on: Jul 26, 2006, 10:58 »
On other boards, the potential need for Calculus I & II and Calculus-Based Physics I & II has been addressed.

In a recent discussion with management, the desire for me to meet STA requirements was brought up.

Since I am not the only one with an erratic schedule, surely someone else has considered taking these courses online. I did a search, and found only 1 regionally accredited school offering Calculus-Based Physics I and II online (DeVry). Does anyone know of alternatives?

Thanks!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Calculus Based Physics Online
« Reply #28 on: Jul 26, 2006, 01:32 »
Michigan State University

Calculus Concepts in Physics 1 PHY 233B
Calculus Concepts in Physics 2 PHY 234B

These are each web based and are 2 credit hours apiece.  Combine this with a traditional algebra based Phys 1 and 2, which MSU offers online too if you need it, will equal their Physics 1 and 2 requirements for Engineers and Scientists.  Hence they have satisfied the Calculus based portion.  If you have Physics 1 and 2 already then this just the filler you need.

I hope this helps you because I have always enjoyed your posts.

BTW Does Roll Tide imply you went there or just a confused fan?  I went to Auburn for a bit and am a Notre Dame fan, so I can razz you all you want.j/k

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jul 26, 2006, 02:10 »
Sounds like Michigan State is the way to go (unless I get a better offer).

Thanks

P. S. I am a life-long Alabama fan, but only went to a junior college in Alabama (and those credits didn't transfer when I got my B.S. from the University of the State of New York!)

And we don't mention Notre Dame in polite company.....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #30 on: Jul 26, 2006, 05:05 »
http://www.ohiou.edu/independent/list2.htm#phys...three calc based physics courses...$276 each to take challenge exams...

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2006, 10:59 »
BTW cost is 1135.50 per course.  A little pricey but it does sound just like what you need.

I would keep an eye on the Irish this year.

Bama'............well the SEC is gonna be tough.  REALLY TOUGH!!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2006, 09:44 »
Hey I alreay have the Calc 1 &2 under the belt as well as Physics 1 (calc based),  question is I can get ABET BS NET from excelsior with out Physics 2, should I take it for resume purposes or will I be wasting time?? (I know any education is never a waste of time but think of it as taking that or doing something eles really important, say a class need to get degree)
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Jul 28, 2006, 10:48 »
Jason,
I guess taking the Physics 2 class would help (just another notch in the gun belt) but it sounds like I might never actually need it (need to look into what STA's do and make to get feel for weather position would be somthing I would want).

How about math beyond calc 2 has anyone expressed a need or recommendation for those?

Rob 

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2006, 11:13 »
Thank , yes they do give good advice and I am speending more and more time crusin the threads to gleen info. 
Have you had any luck in your search for job?

Rob

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2006, 11:27 »
My ears are burning.

I was asked if I could get it, and so I am looking into the cost and effort. Then I will see what the company offers.

Some companies really want the STA slot filled by on-shift SRO's; they aren't real concerned about whether the degree is engineering or not.

Daneck

Rad Protection Pre-Interview Testing with OPG
« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:21 »
I've finally gotten in invite for testing for a temp Rad Tech position. You would not believe how excited I am to finally be called in for testing!!!

I have the chem, biology, physics background required, but it was a very...very...very long time ago. I am amazed at how much I've forgotten!

The only info I have is that testing will include science.
Should I be focusing my review/preparation on chemistry?

Any advice, direction to guide me in preparing for the tests would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to know what the test questions will be, just some direction on what I should be focusing on.

Thanks inadvance for any suggestions!
Daneck

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Rad Protection Pre-Interview Testing with OPG
« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2006, 05:15 »
Check the study guides and online practice tests here, on NukeWorker.com

vikingfan

« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:50 »
 if you want i have a copy of the NEU and will email you the study guide files just let me know.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:28 »
For OPG, you are not going to need any NEU study guide.  Don't even look at it.  It has NOTHING to do with CANDU reactors or Canadian RP practices.
Study Tritium.  Know eveything there is to know about Tritium.  Figure whole body dose rates based on Tritium concentration in air.  (i.e. 1 MPC = 2.5 milliRem/hr).  Know the thumbrules about Tritium concentrations in the Heat Transport and Moderator systems.  (Spilling one liter of moderator water yields 1000 MPC, Heat transport yields 100 MPC per liter... look those up -  I may have them backwards.)
Be able to do simple calculations involving air sampling, dose rates (inverse square and the like), stay times, contamination levels, ...etc.
OPG usually trains their tradesmen to do RP.  The emphasis is more on procedures than on theoretical knowledge of radiation.  Be able to read and follow procedures.  Most of the test will be concentrated in this area.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2006, 10:37 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Nov 29, 2006, 11:56 »
Here is the best resourse for Raddiation Protection in a CANDU:

http://www.nukeworker.com/study/hp/CANDU_RP_study_info.pdf

It's 167 pages of pure gold. The CANDU stuff starts on page 27, before that its fuel cycle, still good stuff.

Daneck

« Reply #41 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:26 »
This has been great advice!

Thank you so much,

Daneck

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:55 »
Beercourt,

Great advice!!!  Danek, unfortunately I cannot give you any advice as it would be a conflict of interest, but should you be successful and find that you have questions please do not hesitate to email me on company email and I will assist where I can.

Jim Rodgers
RP Supervisor
Ontario Power Generation
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

pipeman41

Re: Training and testing questions
« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2017, 10:27 »
I am rtying to get the syber security study course that tva gives at the training center thanks

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Training and testing questions
« Reply #44 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:50 »
I am rtying to get the syber security study course that tva gives at the training center thanks

That is probably a NANTeL class, and will require you to be registered during in-processing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?