1 (2.6%)
sleep in car?
1 (2.6%)
teepee?
2 (5.1%)
tent?
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: outage rooms  (Read 18348 times)

duke99301

outage rooms
« on: Apr 06, 2004, 11:41 »
where do you stay on the road? do you share rooms?

garycom

Re: outage rooms
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2004, 03:16 »
Being a house tech, I don't get on the road alot, except as a shared resource tech. When I do, I try to find an apartment or a furnished house to rent with a few other people. The lodging forum is extremely handy!

allforthenukie

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2004, 09:13 »
The cheapest place you can possibly find. Try to pocket as much of the perdiem as possible. I vote for the teepee.  8)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2004, 07:39 »
I like my RV, home away from home, just keep the outage clothes & supplies stocked. I bought an old tag-a-long and fixed it up as I liked (cheap too). learned how to set it up for all weather conditions and to keep the kind of tools and repair supplies for the various areas to park it in. RV parks, Campgrounds, Mobile home parks. and if you can find it, a Housemouse's backyard for really cheap.

8)
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

greengoo

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2004, 10:22 »
I like my RV, home away from home, just keep the outage clothes & supplies stocked. I bought an old tag-a-long and fixed it up as I liked (cheap too). learned how to set it up for all weather conditions and to keep the kind of tools and repair supplies for the various areas to park it in. RV parks, Campgrounds, Mobile home parks. and if you can find it, a Housemouse's backyard for really cheap.

8)
Sounds like a good idea.

harleygirl

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2004, 10:43 »
When I was a roadie I went the RV route...It was great.  Home went with you, whereever you parked it was all that changed. The ex still travels with it. Now as a shared resource house tech the company finds me a house to stay in...Miss the RV

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2004, 09:01 »
fer short time jobs, motels are the way to go w/o the rv being involved.  it's always clean, usually has a coffee maker and uwave or yinze kin get them by asking at the desk, usually for no extry charge.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:15 »
Always did the apartments for longer than 3 months and mobile homes for shorter duration, If i had to it was a motel room.  Now that I am older I would buy the truck and a Huge fifth wheel from me at Tom Rapers in Cincinnati. 8) :) ;)

harleygirl

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:52 »
fer short time jobs, motels are the way to go w/o the rv being involved.  it's always clean, usually has a coffee maker and uwave or yinze kin get them by asking at the desk, usually for no extry charge.

stayed in motels around IP2 until I found a basement to rent and the rooms were far from clean....Soda dried on the wall and had to air out the mold smell....

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2004, 10:02 »
gotcha beat found a camper for 100 a month plus lot rent.....I bleached the entire thing and fixed the shower.  also had to buy a heater for it (its is busted and maryland is reallllly cold at night) its a lil circa 1960s but the stove works and its already paid up so its all diem for me from here woot!  hotel ate me alive at brunswick.  this just might be the way to go!

shehane

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2004, 10:16 »
the way to go, for most sites, would be to own an rv.  for these really short outages you don't have alot of choice but to use a motel.  try to find a cheap one near v.c.summer!  unless you want to live in a rat hole.  the cheapest choice now days would be a huge dodge panel van with a blanket and pillow in the back.  if you are really living maybe a bucket of water for your bath.  a bunch of batteries for the portable tv and you off and running to the bank.       don

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2004, 10:23 »
Well except for the RV and the Teepee, we have probably tried them all. I used to think sharing a place was hard; but we're in an apartment now and after always living in a house its murder. No, thats what I sometimes want to do to our upstairs neighbors.

I guess it really depends on where you're going, how long you're going to be there and how much is it going to cost.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2004, 01:04 by camellablack »

hezabear

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2004, 11:24 »
CamellaBlack, We haved sheared more than I share of homes. Miss you and Henry Did not realize that the older you get the more family and friends become. Love to you both see you soon. Bear

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2004, 01:10 »
You've got that right, between you, Henry, Jim, and Daddy we've spent a total of 94 combined years on the road. We've been traveling that old highway for 29 years.

Remember the first outage away from home at Turkey Point, we showed up to see dad for Christmas, all of us cramed into a hotel room and they send everybody home for a week 2 days before Christmas?

Possibly the very best place we ever stayed was at "the  HOME" in Colchester with Bud and Sue, it wasn't the Ritz but it was home. You sure can't find places like that any more.

Anybody out there ever stay at "the home" at CY?

Doc_REM

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2004, 04:52 »
With outages as short as they are now dayz...hotel is the only way to go. Have to look around to find "CLEAN at a FAIR rate!"
Now long term at K-33 in Oak Ridge and doing the apartment thing! 8)

duke99301

« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2004, 08:09 »
I did the Motel thing for a long time even spent a year at the braidwood inn.
now I have a 35 ft Motor Home and pull a jeep behind it. D-tv is the way to go .
had some diffrent roommates in the years. I mean WOW , how could they drink that much and stand . LOL.
had some good times in the past.
Karma to all.
Duke

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2004, 10:04 »
I have a trailer I take everywhere, me her and the dogs (plus d-tv). 
Anyone remember teepee jim.
or Bugger at Commanche Peak when his tent got hit by the tornado

Gonzo

« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2006, 06:27 »
am i the only one who finds a bedroom to rent?  worked a SONGS outage (southern california) where a cheap motel is going to cost you hundreds of dollars a week and close to $2000 a month...  apartments are beyond consideration but you can find a bedroom for under $500 a month and without a lease...  folks with RVs were paying $20 a night i think on the average..  or several hundred a month if they found a good park..  they have a parking lot you can stay at for free until the crafts show up then they run the HPs out of there (cuz we get per diem)

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2006, 12:40 »
Over the years I've tried most everything...except I never had the money set aside to buy the RV. Done cabins, apts.,motels, a tent once.

Most memorable was me and the two Traveling Rowberry's in a one bedroom apartment that wasn't even on the market it was so decrepit. Hal talked the guy into letting us stay. Different, but a lot of fun.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Whalla2U

« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2006, 11:21 »
I've stayed in motels, furnished and unfurnished trailers, shared apartments and houses.  From now on it's gonna be the recently purchased travel trailer.  No more sharing or paying more than it's worth rent (fingers crossed). 

alphadude

« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:18 »
the ultimate worst place was at Calvert Cliffs, Raunch Club... the bedding was full of crabs... explain that to your wife!!!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2006, 10:02 »
Motel rooms are my choice. When job is over just check out and leave.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2006, 10:03 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2006, 12:14 »
DOn't forget to ask me about a place to stay when you come back to Calvert...

I'll have a couple of extra bedrooms in the basement for rent.

I figure we could take in a couple of techs for the outage.

JMK

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?