Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Current NLO debating to take chemistry tech position  

Author Topic: Current NLO debating to take chemistry tech position  (Read 2794 times)

vernstlelt

I have been doing research on this site for a long time now.  Most of my previous questions have already been answered except this one.  I'm currently working as a non-licensed operator.  I have a bid to be a chemistry tech starting between Feb-Apr of 2010.  My options are to stay as a non-licensed operator and potentially (only if they take 4 NLO's) go to ILT starting around July of 2011 or be a chem tech.  I will take a small pay cut going to chemistry, but I believe that will be made up using the GI bill for OJT.  Once I am a journeyman chem tech I will make the same as a journeyman NLO.  The chem techs have a much better schedule than operators.  They have a better working environment.  Most of the chem techs have been doing the job for more than 15 years so they must love it.  My dilemma is what comes after that.  Just about every senior manager (VP, PM, assist OM, Maint Manager) at my site has been a licensed operator at some point in their career.  Other than the plant manager (engineer type) they all started as a non-licensed operator.  Therefore, I know what my future might hold staying in operations. What does my future hold if I am a chem tech?  I have been told by several managers at the plant that there isn't much after being a chem tech.  Is this true? 

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
Re: Current NLO debating to take chemistry tech position
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2009, 11:13 »
That is quite true.  Chem tech work is good stuff for the unambitious.  Stable, routine, predicatable.

Wanna go places?  Get the license as fast as you can.  Opens every door at the plant.  Training, Work Control, QA, Maintenance...........EVERYBO DY wants licensed players.

REALLY wanna go places?  Get a license while eschewing the inevitable tattoos, guns, Harley, and attitude.  Be unique.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Current NLO debating to take chemistry tech position
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2009, 12:50 »
Life after Chem Tech?

Sure, do you have a degree?

If not, probably the highest is a Work Lead or Senior Tech.

If yes, First Line Supervisor, Staff Chemistry, Technical Support, Training, Etc, Manager.

Get a Chemistry Degree or Engineering Tech degree or whatever and move around.

The real limitation is the degree, not the job.

YMMV.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?