Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions for anyone in Canadian companies (namely OPG, Hydro One)

Author Topic: Questions for anyone in Canadian companies (namely OPG, Hydro One)  (Read 6203 times)

Offline SDiep

• Lurker
Hi, this is my first post here on this forum so I apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong section.

I am finishing up my Engineering Degree this year and will have to face the job market very soon.  Being interested in power generation and/or distribution,  I am curious about 'smart' technologies including, but not limited to, the 'smart grid'.

From my research, Hydro One has already took the initiative by installing smart meters throughout Ontario, aiming for 1.4 million homes to be 'smart' by 2010.  I believe that OPG has taken an interest in smart technologies, but information is a bit harder to find over the internet.

I am interested in working for either company and would appreciate some feedback from anyone already in the company.  Any information on the status quo/future outlook for these technologies or even a contact I can possibly email for more information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
I checked out this post earlier, but unfortunately the smart meters are outside of my area of expertise.  I do have one installed on my house and besides being a cool piece of technology I don't know what the hubub is about.  You should also check out http://www.powerauthority.on.ca/ and see if they have more information.  I will look around and see what else I can dig up.

Cheers,
Jim
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline SDiep

• Lurker
Thanks for all the quick responses everyone.

I went to the link you sent me Jim.  Albeit very informative and interesting, it lacks the information I need.  Maybe I have to rustle through the archives a bit more.

On another note... I just read you work for OPG, Jim.  Are there any on site tours of the nuclear power plants for potential hires?  My colleagues and I at McMaster University are very interested to see the workplace up close to get a feel of the industry.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
There are tours, but I honestly don't have the foggiest idea of who to contact about scheduling one.  You might try the corporate website, www.opg.com and see what they have. 

Cheers,
Jim
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?