Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Anyone at Bruce and OPG Ontario?

Author Topic: Anyone at Bruce and OPG Ontario?  (Read 27653 times)

MrJoyce

Anyone at Bruce and OPG Ontario?
« on: Jul 23, 2009, 06:55 »
Hi there, I move to Canada in about a month, with the intention of working for either BrucePower or OPG. Anybody out there already that I can talk to?

Cheers, Andy

vikingfan

Re: Anyone at Bruce and OPG Ontario?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2009, 07:43 »
you might send a PM to stormgoalie he is the RP supervisor at bruce i believe ??? but either way he is at one of the canadien plants hope this helps

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2009, 10:06 »
Hi there, I move to Canada in about a month, with the intention of working for either BrucePower or OPG. Anybody out there already that I can talk to?

Cheers, Andy

What kind of work are you planning to do?  Do you have a work permit, or are yougoing for some other reason?
Given the little information that you posted, it's hard to give good details.

Hasher is another NW member who lives in Canada.  He works for OPG.  You might PM him also.

Please forgive me if you already know this, but you can't just move to Canada and look for a job.  You need a job offer to get a permit to work there under most circumstances.  You cannot get a permit from inside Canada.  You have to apply from outside the country.
If you haven't been to this site yet, go there now  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:58 »
Andy,

I would check out www.brucepower.com and www.mypowercareer.com (or www.opg.com if you want to see the full corp. website) and check out the jobs that are posted.  Getting in the door can be tough at times due to the union collective agreements in place (almost all jobs are filled internally due to hiring being primarily seniority based).  As per my PM I am continuing to look around for you, but no luck so far.  Bruce Power may be hiring HP's this year but that is all I have heard from that side of the fence. Will continue checking around for you.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
RP Supervisor
Ontario Power Generation
Western Waste Management Facility
NRRPT
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

MrJoyce

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2009, 06:04 »
Cheers guys

I've got a year-long work permit already, and Canadian relations (and I'm eligible for a Fed Skilled Workers Visa) so I hope to start work first, then arrange a permanent visa before the year is up (followed by a quick hop back to the UK to get it). Does this seem reasonable, or have a missed a huge problem?

I'm more interested in the operator side of things, and BrucePower have just put up a vacancy for Nuclear Operators in Training so I'll apply to that.

I also wondered about clearance issues, but reading some of the stuff people on this forum have done and still got in, I'm less worried. I have no criminal record whatsoever, no DUI's or even speeding tickets. Do you think I'll have any problems there?

Any help you guys can give me is greatly apprieciated  :)

MrJoyce

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2009, 06:22 »
At 21 years old, I also just get in under family sponsorship as a dependant child. Another option is a provincial nominee, but is that unlikely?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2009, 09:45 »
Sounds like you have it in hand.  I don't know about "the Bruce" (as it is known) but OPG regularly posts job openings at their website.  If you sign up, they will email you job announcements that fit your profile.

You can do that here:  http://www.mypowercareer.com/

Stay in touch.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

MrJoyce

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2009, 12:38 »
Thanks for the responses so far, I have been keeping an eye on both sites for about a month now.

I've just finished applying for the nuclear operator in training post that appeared on the bruce site yesterday. Can anybody give me a rough idea of how long the application process may take before (if I'm shortlisted for an interview) I get a reply?

MrJoyce

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:16 »
I've just got this email from HR Bruce, can anyone shed any light on it? I don't know whether this is a bad sign or just a hiccup and nothing to do with me:

'July 29, 2009

Dear Candidate,

Thanks for applying to the NOIT (Nuclear Operator in Training) vacancy with Bruce Power.  The vacancy is being temporarily cancelled as the organization is clarifying the hiring criteria for the positions.   

The revised posting will appear in the very near future, so please consider re-applying. 

Thanks! 

Human Resources'

I can only guess that lots of people have applied who aren't qualified, do you think that includes me?

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:40 »
More than likely the HR department didn't follow the job document associated with those positions when putting out the minimum educational requirements etc. If this is the case then they have to withdraw the openings and repost them with the proper information. 
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

MrJoyce

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:44 »
Thanks, I thought it could be something to do with that. Although, the requirements for education seemed pretty standard, it asked for Grade 13? in maths physics and chem (I don't know what these are equivalent to but think they are the same as my A-levels). OPG ask for the same on their site, so I don't know if they want more or less?

Hmmmmm

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:48 »
Thanks, I thought it could be something to do with that. Although, the requirements for education seemed pretty standard, it asked for Grade 13? in maths physics and chem (I don't know what these are equivalent to but think they are the same as my A-levels). OPG ask for the same on their site, so I don't know if they want more or less?

Hmmmmm

For some reason known only to Canadians they instituted Grade 13 as a "pre-college" grade following high school.  Or at least that is my understanding.  I am surprised that OPG isn't also requiring a 2 year diploma in an applicable field (Durham College in Oshawa, Ontario offers a 2yr. Power Engineer diploma that was designed to pump out NOIT's).  Keep your eyes open as they will be hiring operators on a fairly frequent basis.

MrJoyce

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:57 »
A quick browse on Wikipedia confirms all that, Grade 13 OAC was abolished in 2003 to be replaced by a 2 or 3 year college degree (at the same age I did 2 year A-levels).  Feeling a little relieved...

MrJoyce

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2009, 12:02 »
No reason to worry, got this email today:

'July 30, 2009

PLEASE NOTE:  you were sent this notification yesterday (below) regarding your application to the NOIT (Nuclear Operator in Training) Vacancy.  This is to reassure you that your application will be reactivated and considered for the position when we repost it.

You will NOT need to reapply to this vacancy as previously communicated.

Thanks for your understanding!

Human Resources'

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2009, 12:05 »
There you go ;D 

MrJoyce

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:26 »
Another quick question, is what do you guys do about insurance? Does the company offer a policy? I ask this because to secure my temporary visa, I must have travel and medical insurance. Now most policies are adequate, but don't cover anything even close to nuke. The big mac-daddy policy offered by the visa company is many many many poundsmore than I can afford.

My plan, get cheap travel insurance and fly out. Get new policy if I get a job. Is this reasonable?

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:48 »
You will have to get insurance for at least the first 3 months you are here.  Once you get your visa and get into work you will need to take all your documentation to the Ontario Ministry of Health office to get your OHIP insurance.  They will require the 3 month waiting period before you are eligible so the requirement for personal insurance will be in effect.  Also, if you need a place to stay PM me as I have a house that I am going to be possibly renting out a room, or the whole thing if you want the place to yourself.

Cheers,
Jim

MrJoyce

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:22 »
Damn, I owe you beers already.

I'm pretty sure I will be taking you up on that.

With respect to insurance, I can get a personal policy that covers nuke work once I'm out there? I'm just reluctant to shell out for uber-insurance when I don't know if I'll get the job or not.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 11:28 by MrJoyce »

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:31 »
No worries brother! I immigrated to Canada 7 years ago and had help getting things arranged when I "Landed". If you need anything once you get here I will see what I can do to aim you in the right direction.  By all means feel free to contact me at any time either here via PM or when you get to Ontario I will pass on my cell phone and work phone numbers.  Will take you up on the beer 8)

RADBASTARD

« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2009, 05:51 »
Make sure you get some of that free goverment health care.
It may take you 6 months to see a doctor but hey it's free?

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Aug 04, 2009, 12:07 »
My favorite part about oliving in SE Michigan was the times we couldn't get doctors appointments because of the Canadians who crossed the border in order to get one while they were actually still sick.

MrJoyce

« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2009, 06:47 »
Well, I'm young and disease free. As long as there is some kind of A&E for broken bones and stuff I'll be fine :D

MrJoyce

« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2009, 12:41 »
Still not seen any replacement vacancy posted on the Bruce site. Although, is does say there will be another in the very near future.

Is that actually what it means, or is the near future in nuke terms on a geological timescale?

I'm just wondering, impatience is not a virtue

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2009, 01:15 »
Give them 2-4 weeks to repost.  There is a possibility that HR is double checking their work to make sure that they don't have to remove the posting again.  Sometimes even HR makes sure they do it right LOL. :P

MrJoyce

« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2009, 05:58 »
Vacancy has re-appeared, but about 3 times longer than the last one. I suspect a lot may have been left out before.

The good news is I'm still qualified for it, provided Brit qualifications are equivalent :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?