Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AO and SRO tests honeypot

Author Topic: AO and SRO tests  (Read 10662 times)

FatBanks8

AO and SRO tests
« on: Jul 28, 2009, 07:31 »
I will be seperating out of the Navy in November. I have spent 6 years in the Nuke program as a Mechanic. I am looking into applying for an Auxiliary operator or SRO position. I was wondering if anybody could assist me in finding study material for both and if possible direct me on how I am to go about taking the AO and SRO test? I will appreciate all the help that is provided.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: AO and SRO tests
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2009, 09:03 »
There is not really a test for AO or SRO that you will be able to take coming out of the Nav...
Prospective AOs will be screened by the POSS test, and then possibly interviewed.
SROs are tested by the NRC after a really grueling training program - search the site for  these terms and others, read a lot. Look for Broadzillas posts on the SRO subject - he's one of the smartest we got (humble SOB also... ;)) Instant SRO is a rare thing - you gotta be special. BZ will imply you are qualified to be a janitior unless you really have top notch training, quals and work ethic. He may be right.
Stumble around the various topics for a while. PM some of the knowledgeable posters (I'm not one of them - I'm not Nav, or Ops). Don't start a new topic every time you got a question.
Read the following and the FAQ for a starting point.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4219.0.html

Good luck...
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2009, 09:04 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2009, 10:18 »
None of the DSRO hires (total of 4) got a license in my class.  Only one made it to the Exam.

100% of the people from OPS passed the License Exam.  If you want a license go AO to EO then to a license class.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2009, 02:06 »
If you are 6 and out you likely don't qualify to be an instant SRO anyway. NLO is what you should be focusing on.

Justin

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:37 »
If you want to be a RO, you should be looking at the NLO job.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:12 »
You need NRC permission to create an Instant RO. I've never heard them give it for someone just getting out of the Navy. In any event, he's qualified to be a Janitor.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:00 »
Correct. To qualify for instant SRO you need 2 years as an RO or EWS. So, a 6 and out ET can get instant SRO, but they are a rare bird and I know of only one company that hires 6 and outers into instant SRO.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2010, 01:17 »
I personally know 2 6 and outters that were hired into license class. Like I said though, I know of only 1 company that does that. One of those guys went through class with me, and he was successful. The other hasn't started class yet, and I will leave it up to him to reveal himself.

Justin

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:38 »
You need NRC permission to create an Instant RO. I've never heard them give it for someone just getting out of the Navy. In any event, he's qualified to be a Janitor.
The good news is I cleaned the bathrooms and emptied the trash before I left license class today,,,,just like the good janitor should,,,former Navy Nuke you know,,,
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?