Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Where should I be lookin', in or out?

Author Topic: Where should I be lookin', in or out?  (Read 7483 times)

cookcj

Where should I be lookin', in or out?
« on: Jul 28, 2009, 05:35 »
So here's the question that has been burning in the back of my mind for the past couple of months: Having now done my six years and reenlisting until late 2012 as a fully qualified (RO/SRO) E5 ET(SS) (Yeah, I did something stupid 3 years ago, but I should be wearing E6 soon enough), I have just accepted orders to a PRECOM unit.  Those orders will take me (via extension) into mid-2013.  Aside from being $h!^ hot and finally qualifying EWS at the PRECOM, it is boat number 3 after all, is there anything else I can do to better my chances of landing a descent job in OPS or maintenance management when I get out? 

I have no desire to do TP&CCs or basic troubleshooting for the next 20+ years of my life but I wouldn't mind doing the planning and the background work that goes into conducting outages or upgrades.  In the same light, I don't think watching a plant at steady state would be to terribly exciting and mentally fulfilling either.  But if supporting my family and paying my mortgage requires it, then that is the grit which must be milled.

As always, I'm asking those that have been there and done that what they think before hand.  I have learned the hard way that not doing so generally results in a rather unpleasant finger-pointing ... something about following my gut instinct and removing a resistor from a VPI on a certain 4-way flow directing valve before I had gotten a chance to ask the 'ole timer'...

Thanks in advance for your advice

JustinHEMI05

Re: Where should I be lookin', in or out?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2009, 08:43 »
Go to college.

Other than that, see you in 2013.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2009, 09:10 »
agree with JustinHemi.  At the very least finish up your TESC degree.  It is WAY more expensive once you get out vice if you are active duty. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:26 »
I'm no longer in the field, but the others can chime in... Is RadCon Supervisor (RCS) still a school that would benefit him in the long haul?

The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

bigjer25

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:45 »
I am a prior enlisted sub EM, now an officer.  Long story short I got medically dis-qual'd from subs for a food allergy.  The docs said I would be
dishcarged for sure.  I interviewed at 6 nuke plants, and got awesome offers form every one (>100K). But, I had a degree and EOOW quals.  If you do not have a degree you will start at the bottom and work your way up, thats just how it is.  Go to college!!  I have tried to tell evey division that I ran that college is your key to the many doors of opportunity.  Our Nuke experience only goes so far without a degree.

Even better, get your degree, get commissioned, go teach at power school, then lateral xfer to EDO.  Trust me on this.  If you can do this, you will want to find me and thank me.

Get a degree, and NOT the Thomas Edison one, "They" know what a sham that is and will not take it seriously.

Prior-E LT

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:48 »
I am a prior enlisted sub EM, now an officer.  Long story short I got medically dis-qual'd from subs for a food allergy.  The docs said I would be
dishcarged for sure.  I interviewed at 6 nuke plants, and got awesome offers form every one (>100K). But, I had a degree and EOOW quals.  If you do not have a degree you will start at the bottom and work your way up, thats just how it is.  Go to college!!  I have tried to tell evey division that I ran that college is your key to the many doors of opportunity.  Our Nuke experience only goes so far without a degree.

Even better, get your degree, get commissioned, go teach at power school, then lateral xfer to EDO.  Trust me on this.  If you can do this, you will want to find me and thank me.

Get a degree, and NOT the Thomas Edison one, "They" know what a sham that is and will not take it seriously.

Prior-E LT

Everything you just said is 100% false and he would be wise to ignore it.

Justin

PS it appears you have been told this before.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 05:54 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2009, 05:49 »
Actually, you might be right about the EDO thing. But the commercial stuff, false.

Justin

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2009, 06:14 »
I am a prior enlisted sub EM, now an officer.  Long story short I got medically dis-qual'd from subs for a food allergy.  The docs said I would be
dishcarged for sure.  I interviewed at 6 nuke plants, and got awesome offers form every one (>100K). But, I had a degree and EOOW quals.  If you do not have a degree you will start at the bottom and work your way up, thats just how it is.  Go to college!!  I have tried to tell evey division that I ran that college is your key to the many doors of opportunity.  Our Nuke experience only goes so far without a degree.

Even better, get your degree, get commissioned, go teach at power school, then lateral xfer to EDO.  Trust me on this.  If you can do this, you will want to find me and thank me.

Prior-E LT
You must be one immpressive person, we would just hire you as an AO.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2009, 06:20 »
  I interviewed at 6 nuke plants, and got awesome offers form every one (>100K).

Ah yes...the fish that got away (before the DITY move, right?)

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009, 06:46 »
Three points:
The TESC degree will make you available to be hired in as an instant SRO, which means directly into license class.  That is a difficult, but doable course, and the TESC degree shouldn't be sneezed at unless you want to go into engineering dept as a Jr engineer, and work your way up from there.

Next,
I have no desire to do TP&CCs or basic troubleshooting for the next 20+ years of my life but I wouldn't mind doing the planning and the background work that goes into conducting outages or upgrades.

Sorry, you're just not qualified to hire in at the planning level.  (I speak for my plant, not every plant)There are so many things to know, besides the equipment, which can be different than what you've dealt with in the past.  Maintenance is different than the boat... You don't sit around doing trip n cals,  and basic troubleshooting.  The scope and range of equipment that you can work on is far larger than than what you've dealt with in the past, and if you're in I&C, you can bring down the plant in an instant if you get careless... 

Finally:
I don't think watching a plant at steady state would be to terribly exciting and mentally fulfilling either.
It's just not like that.  Sure, there are times when you do nothing but eat ice cream and popcorn.  But, there is typically so much going on...  It keeps you engaged, and at least at the SRO level, is very challenging.  Between the Tech Specs, Maintenance, Fire Protection, Engineering showing up late Friday with the latest NOW concern, simulator, mods...  I'm telling you, it might have boring moments, but it's really just not at all like steady state steaming in the IO.

Get your TESC degree, or any engineering related degree! 

Good luck,

Bill

hbh739

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:33 »
I got out last year after a little over 12.5 years.  Took a job as an I&C supervisor.  The salary is not great but with the overtime (when available) the pay is pretty good.  If you have been just skating by and think that a civilian plant will be a cake walk you had better stay in as long as you can.
You definitely need a degree.  Get the TESC degree and start on a Masters if you have time.
I am already looking to leave maintenance and head over to operations.

M1Ark

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2009, 07:02 »
I'm no longer in the field, but the others can chime in... Is RadCon Supervisor (RCS) still a school that would benefit him in the long haul?

no

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2009, 11:01 »
Sorry, you're just not qualified to hire in at the planning level.  (I speak for my plant, not every plant)There are so many things to know, besides the equipment, which can be different than what you've dealt with in the past.  Maintenance is different than the boat... You don't sit around doing trip n cals,  and basic troubleshooting.  The scope and range of equipment that you can work on is far larger than than what you've dealt with in the past, and if you're in I&C, you can bring down the plant in an instant if you get careless...  

This is absolutely true.  Furthermore, the biggest difference I noticed between commercial plant outages and Navy upkeeps/availabilities is the PACE.  Just one example: could you in your wildest dreams imagine pulling into a shipyard for a refueling overhaul, securing the Maneuvering Watch and shutting down, and then a few days be pulling fuel out of the vessel?  The Navy gives you lots of useful training and experience for doing maintenance anywhere, but planning maintenance at a commercial plant is an entirely different breed of animal.  It can be learned once you cross over to the commercial side, but it is not a position you will be able to just walked right in to.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2009, 11:03 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

bgist

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2009, 01:55 »
This is my first reply.  There are times when I'm looking to hire somebody and I would like to connect with prior nukes, so I thought I'd do some looking on a blog site.

I'm a prior sub MM1, got out in 1998.  I manage the Maintenance, Facilities, and Engineering for a privately owned company now, making 6 figures.  I never received my formal 4 year degree.  But I have to say that I'm the exception and not the standard.  I would ask you the question of what you want to do?  What kind of work is satisfying to you?  This is the time and opportunity to be truthful.  If you like to work with your hands and do technical work, then you can get a job as a technician and work your way up to planning and scheduling, and maybe a supervisor job.  If you like to lead people, organizations, and see yourself in a management position (technical or operational), then I recommend going to college and getting a 4 year degree, either in engineering or business.  You will do well in school if you made it through the nuclear pipe line, it's just a matter of patience and commitment.  Begin with the end in mind.

Either way you'll start out at an entry position, either as a technician, operator, or supervisor.  From there it's who you know, how you present yourself, and your body of work that will determine the course you take in your career.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?